“Dumpy Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

2100 State Route 10 W, Morris Plains, NJ 07950   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Morris Plains
“Dumpy Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this place street booking through price line. Usually not being charged until you get to the hotel is the case but we got changed the day we booked online even though it said no deposit would be taken. Do knowing we had already paid for or room we go to cheep in and they charge us again! It took a couple hours talking with a heavily accented man working in the lobby, calling Priceline and our bank to figure out that we were right and that the hotel did indeed charge us twice unlike what the clerk told us. Saying Priceline mistakingly charged us. After that it was okay, the needs were hard, shower head sucked. Locks on the doors blow, and the doors let in a lot of cold air. Had to give a ten dollar deposit for the key which is a real key not a card. We got out back on check out. Not a ton of food choices around without driving around. Payments def need more looking into to so no more problems arise like that, when we chuckled in they didn't even have our name of having a reservation only way he knew what to charge us again for was us bringing in out paper from Priceline. Place needs work!

• Stayed December 2012

Families
Couples
Business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I arrived at the hotel around 3:45pm, check in was said to be after 3pm. The parking lot was empty when I was told there were only a few rooms left on Hotels.com (though that could be a way Hotels.com books more rooms). I tried the door on the side, it was locked. The door around front was locked as well. The lights where on in and there was a TV playing at the front desk. I waiting for a few minutes and someone came around. She had stepped out of a minute and was very apologetic.

Check in was easy. There was a $5 deposit for the key - which is a real key, not a key card - but I got it back at check out. There was air conditioning in the lobby as well as the hall ways.

There were signs on every door saying what was needed to be done in the room and if the room was rentable. I stayed in room 19. It was a big room with a king sized bed. The air conditioner wasn't on when I went in but the room wasn't overly hot and it cooled down quickly when I turned on the air. It was clean, recently vacuumed. It was recently painted. It was supposed to be a non-smoking room but it did smell of smoke. It wasn't too bad once the AC was on for a while (I'm very sensitive to smoke and I could stand it).

In the room there was a king sized bed, a desk and a chair, a side table, a table and two chairs, a dresser, two lamps plus ceiling lights, a TV, and a "walk-in" closet with no door. No clock, hotel information, or "Do Not Disturb" sign. There was a Bible and a phone book.

Two doors to get in and out, one to the indoor hallway and one that led outside. The same key was used for both.

The window had a blind but no curtain so the light did get in, but it was very private. A lot of sun light came in in the morning though.

There was a pieced of tissue in the peep hole on the indoor hallway door, I think that might've been put there by a previous tenant.

One outlet didn't work but there were plenty of others.

The TV wasn't good at all, four channels came in clear, some sort of movie channel, two sports channels and Fox News. It rained one day and none of the channels came in.

No internet access in the rooms.

The bed seemed clean. It was hard but not too bad. Depends on your preference.

The carpet definitely stained my feet, but it washed off quickly. I noticed it because every time I walked into the bathroom there was red foot marks on the towel.

The shower wasn't too great, but it worked. The pressure was weak, took a bit for the hot water to kick in and it went in and out during the shower. No amenities, just two bars of soap. Tissues, two cups, and an ashtray were outside the bathroom.

Housekeeping came everyday (since there was no "Do Not Disturb" sign). I usually don't use housekeeping, but I never went to the front desk to ask them to stop. They did a great job though, very thorough.

After the first night I walked around the hotel to see how many rooms were occupied. A few rooms had the air conditioning on but after looking into the other rooms I realized that they were being redone. More than half of the lower section of the hotel was empty and being renovated (which explains why Hotels.com said there were so little rooms).

If walking (!!!)... I took a bus from Pittsburgh to NYC and then a train to Morris Plains, so I had no car. I looked up walked directions on Google and it seemed doable. It's about a 2 mile walk from the train and it was a 1 mile walk to the destination I was going to. What I didn't realize is that it's on a highway, a divided highway at that. It is walkable but you have to be on the correct size or else you'll be walking in a circle. You also have to look out for overgrown trees and whatnot and watch for traffic. I was informed by the lady at the front desk and a construction worker that it is legal to walk along the highway. Just be careful!