“Upscale, woodsy restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Morristown, New Jersey
“Upscale, woodsy restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Although the restaurant is in suburban New Jersey, you get the feel that you are in Vermont, or a resort town. High ceilings, open timbers, fireplaces and panelled walls, the look is reminiscent of a Deer Valley ski lodge or an old train station. The menu is eclectic, but mostly American. Good service, reasonable prices, upscale clientele.....a good experience.

Visited January 2013

Morristown, New Jersey
“Nice surroundings, mediocre meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Went here with a party of 12 to celebrate my birthday. The waitstaff were pleasant and the room was very warm and attractive but the meal, for the price, was nothing memorable. I will go again soon hoping that my first experience was a fluke

East Hanover, New Jersey
“Great Place For Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We enjoyed a really nice dinner at the Tabor Road Tavern. The atmosphere simply put - warm and inviting. It reminded me of a ski lodge up in Vermont. LOVED the wood burning fireplaces!

We couldn't decide on dinner - too many delicious choices. I opted for the caesar salad which I would not rush back for but my dinner - the roasted half chicken - was delicious. My husband had rare seared tuna for an appetizer and a scallop and risotto dish for dinner. He is still talking about it 3 weeks later so I know we'll be returning sooner than later.

We shared a dessert (big mistake). Their mini donuts are TO DIE FOR! I knew we should have ordered 2 of them. Now we know for next time.

Make a reservation - we went on a Saturday and by 6:30pm the restaurant was packed and many people in the bar area. Looking forward to our next trip there.

Note: I don't understand the picture displayed for this restaurant? It looks nothing like it.

Visited January 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Felt like I was in a Chalet.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Nothing better than waling in to Tabor Road Tavern on a cold, windy, winter day. The warm atmosphere, the fire place and the dark wood just warms your insides. The soup helps - the minestrone soup that started the meal was hot, tasty and full of all the chunks you look for. The veggie spring rolls were hot enough to scorch your tounge but well worth the pain. The entres are creative and seasonal and there's something for everyone. All in all a great tavern.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Solid but Not a Stand Out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

FIrst time at TRT the other night.... Had heard a lot about it and expected a lot. The room is very comfortable and nicely decorated - yes, it has the feel of an upscale ski lodge..... The service was very attentive without being overwhelming. The wine list is good - not too overly priced with ample variety for all (I found a nice chianti for $36!). The food however didn't do it for us. While "fine", it didn't live up to its reputation (or price). The pizzas as "OK". Made in a wood burning fireplace but the crust thin but not as crispy as it should have been for ($18). The salads and apps also "just good". We had a pasta dish with clams that contained no more than a handful of TINY clams and over cooked noodles ($19) and it tasted as if the primary ingredient was butter. There aren't many good restaurants in the immediate area but it is worth the few extra minutes to travel to Montclair or Morristown to get some better food/value.

• Visited January 2013