“Understand NJ people mean well” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Late Night
Yiwu, China
“Understand NJ people mean well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have to say the steak here is the best I have ever had. I have lived in Texas and all over the world nothing compares to Arthur's . The key is asking for a piece with fat that are happy to give it to you . The fact this is not a 5 star is just the high expectations of my fellow NJ people. Simply it's the best steak I have ever had bar none

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

East Hanover, New Jersey
“Best in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I have been going to Arthur's for a couple of years now. I never had a bad meal there and their steaks are the best. It is one of my favorite steak restaurants.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Coldwater, MI
“don't get it...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I don't understand the fuss...well maybe it was just my experience. The host at the door was annoyed being alone I didn't want to sit at the over crowded bar. So she let me sit practically in the doorway at the entrance. Table for 2, right at the bottom of the stairs, and at the front door. Twice I had the joy of someone's butt right in my face as they waited to be seated. The hamburger and potatoes I had were ok, nothing that special...but the hostess, and my server made the experience a one time only event. Don't feel the need to go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Randolph, New Jersey
“Servers with attitudes and MEDIOCRE Steaks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Arthur's Tavern in Morris Plains has an undeserved reputation for good steaks. I say undeserved because it is. The steaks are full of gristle and fat and are served by waitresses with attitudes who would have been fired by any real upscale steakhouse.

The rib-eye steaks are supposed to be either 24 or 48 ounces, but when you cut away the fat, you realize you only get half of that as meat. The accompanying home fries are overcooked and almost always greasy.

Their burgers aren't bad, but they're not world class either. The menu does NOT state that lettuce, tomatoes and onions are EXTRA.

The waits on summer weekends are not worth it for the quality of food, the prices they charge and the surly behavior of the servers.

There are far better places to get steak in Morris County. Avoid ARTHUR's if you have better things to do with your time and want better food for the money.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Morristown, New Jersey
“I'll never go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Service was horrible when I went on a Friday night. It was packed and waited 15 minutes for a table, which is acceptable, but our waiter, Erich, was obnoxious and loud. He was slow and forgot a lot of things. My husband and I asked for plates to use while we ate the complimentary pickles, which were tasty, and he brings us 15 styrofoam plates and places the stack on the edge of the table. "HELLO, WAITER! You're supposed to place one in front of each guest!" The menu is very limited and is used for lunch and dinner, as tuna and chicken salads are an option for dinner. Entrees do not come with any sides - that' an extra price. Our waiter is quick to tell the guests why the restaurant does not serve fried foods (because they don't own a deep fryer!) A TAVERN THAT DOESN'T SERVE ONIONS RINGS OR FRENCH FRIES!! Ugh! I ordered their "famous" onion soup and it was burnt! They burned the cheese! I mean black, charred-tasting cheese! Not golden, but black! I've never had a bad onion soup in my life! And, I've had quite a few in my days, as it is my favorite type. Why didn't I send it back? I was cold (because the air conditioner was on, even though it was 50 degrees outside) and hungry, so I just broke through it and ate the soup, which, thankfully, was tasty. I thought it was Erich's fault that the cheese was burnt because he literally ran passed my table and shouted, "Oh, I forgot your soup!" all the way to the kitchen. But, later on, a neighboring table of three ordered the soup and theirs were burnt, too! So, in the end, it didn't matter if I sent it back. I decided to try the ribs and "Arthur's Famous Home Fries," obviously, his substitute for French Fries. The ribs were not falling off the bone and the sauce was sweet. There was more sauce on the ribs then there was meat. I ate three, gave three to my husband and took the rest home for my son. None of us thought it was great. I wouldn't recommend it. The potatoes were nothing to brag about, either. Hubby ordered the steak and he didn't care for it at all! It was dry and not cooked to his preference. He ordered medium and he got well, which resulted in an unflavorable meal. Right after we asked for the check, three waiters passed by with plates of different desserts heading toward a large party of ten. They we're big and delicious-looking. So, we stopped the check and ordered one slice of cheesecake. Ours was small :( But, at last, it was delicious and chilled to perfection! :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere