“Very nice hotel, but skip the breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott, Montvale

You added Courtyard by Marriott, Montvale to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott, Montvale
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Chestnut Ridge Road, Montvale, NJ 07645 (Formerly "Holiday Inn")   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montvale
Lanoka Harbor
“Very nice hotel, but skip the breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here recently for a wedding that my husband was in. The hotel itself was lovely. The room was spacious and the staff was very polite. There were some hairs in the shower, so it wasn't as clean as it could have been. There was a refrigerator in the room, but no microwave. We were there about two weeks after Labor Day and assumed that the pool would still be open since it was 75 degrees out. However, we were informed that the pool gets closed after Labor Day weekend. That was very disappointing. The bed was very comfortable, supportive, but soft. We had a small issue with our toilet that would not stop running and the front desk sent someone out right away who fixed it very quickly. All of this was absolutely fine. The part of the stay that was VERY disappointing was the breakfast. They offer two options: a continental breakfast for about $10 a person and a "full" hot breakfast for about $13 a person. We chose the full hot breakfast. It was SO NOT WORTH IT. We had to wrangle the cook staff in order to get a waffle and omelette. The continental section was very limited. The bell on the waffle maker didn't work, so mine was burnt. Save your money on breakfast and grab some Dunkin' Donuts from down the street. The rest of the hotel was very nice and we would go back, and just eat somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MontvaleGM, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott, Montvale, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding our front desk staff. Their goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied. Our weather has been a little bit warmer than normal, however our pool does close every year on Labor Day. We wanted to also apologize about your breakfast experience. Our goal is for you to have a most enjoyable meal with your family. We will look into what happened to make sure they do not happen again. Hopefully if you find yourself in the area, your choice will be the Courtyard Montvale. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My check-in to this hotel was horrible and full of problems. The front desk girl was extremely rude the manager however did refund my stay due to my problems which was much appreciated. This courtyard used to be a holiday inn so it is not set up like a normal courtyard which I found too be a good change since I stay at a lot of courtyards. It was much bigger and had banquet rooms. The room was nicely decorated and of good size. I had to deal with the desk staff a few other times thru my stay due to extending for extra days and each time they were very short and quite rude. Could really use some customer service training. There was a pool table in the basement which we enjoyed. There was also a laundry room but it was extremely high priced! Due to the customer service issues I encountered here I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MontvaleGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott, Montvale, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear R0adtripping,

Thank you for you feed back. We are sorry to hear that your experience with our Front Desk Team did not meet your expectation. We are dedicated in providing quality service that meet if not exceed our guest's standards. We apologize that we have failed on delivering this to you. Please be assured that we are reviewing our process with our Front Desk team and we hope that you give us an opportunity to make this up to you by trying us again whenever you are in the area.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing.

Warm regards,

Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Small but functional hotel. Rooms are of a good size and clean. Very quiet location so you'll get a good nights sleep. The 'Irish' bar in the hotel is actually run by a chinese man but it has a good atmosphere. I woulnd't recommend the Guiness but I've been spoilt on my trips to Ireland! Food is very good in the bar. My only complaint is the cost of printing, USD $1 per page. I know that now having printed a 417 page document...... Lesson learned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MontvaleGM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott, Montvale, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear PSyhnn,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your stay experience. We at the Courtyard by Marriott in Montvale, NJ has the Fire & Oak restaurant on site and provide printing for our guests as well. Whenever, we are printing over 20 pages, additional cost may apply. Your stay however, is with another one of our Marriott properties in Park Ridge, NJ. We're happy to know that our rooms meet our brand standard of cleanliness.

We hope you can try us at the Courtyard by Marriott in Montvale, NJ whenever you are in the area. We would love to have you stay with us.

Warm regards,

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel is in a quite area with not much around it. However, the location is in close proximity to New York about 40 min. and about 30 min. away from the largest outlet mall in US - Woodberry Commons! The hotel is on a small size but the rooms are a good size, clean with HD TVs. The staff was friendly and accommodating (I asked them to change the room type and they quickly arranged it with no extra charge) I also enjoyed the restaurant in the hotel "Fire & Oak" they have a very culturally diverse menu with some Italian, American, Japanese dishes, I had their risotto scallops and they were delicious although a very large portion. The only negative comment is, we had a bug in our room, maybe because our room was on a ground floor but nevertheless unpleasant.

Room Tip: try to get rooms above the ground floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
MontvaleGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott, Montvale, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Evgenia,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay and your experience at the Courtyard by Marriott in Montvale, NJ. We are glad to be of service and appreciate you letting us know our oppotunities for improvement. Our Maintenance team is looking into the bug issue that you experienced and will make sure that we look into getting this resolved.

We thank you for staying with us and we hope that we remain to be your preferred host whenever you are in the area.

Best regards,

Faridabad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Courtyard is a good property but comparatively smaller to other hotels in the area.
The rooms are good and the staff is friendly. The shuttle service runs for 4 hours - 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.
Overall it was a good experience. Do try out the Fire & Oak Restaurant, its one of the best in the area. Ask for Daniel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dumfries, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

As a Marriott platinum member I am very familiar with the Courtyard chain as I have enjoyed staying at them across the globe. Upon my arrival to this location I decided to shower before stepping out for the evening. Shortly into my shower I noticed the water was not draining correctly and was backing up. I finished up, called the front desk, and made them aware of the situation. I was told they would take of it while I was out for the evening. I came back hours later (left around 430 came back after 11) to find still standing water over 3 inches deep. I called again and was assured someone had come and taken care of it while I was out.... Meanwhile I'm looking at still standing water in the shower. I awoke next morning to find the water still standing at the same level I had left it the afternoon before. The water level hadn't lowered. Needless to say I was less than pleased.

Besides the incident mentioned above, the hotel is satisfactory. Customer service is the corner stone of the hotel industry and this establishment is severely lacking in this area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Warwick, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

For those of you familiar with the "Courtyard" setup, this is not anywhere close, which for me was refreshing since I stay in them all the time. This hotel has a restaurant, the Fire & Oak, connected (but independent) directly to the hotel and it's very good. Also very nice restaurant bar and private dining options. Guest rooms are adequate, but I do like the stand up shower instead of the tub. As some of the reviews indicate, this might give the impression that the bathroom is smaller than normal, but I would say it's about the same. Again, refreshing from your basic Courtyard design. Fitness room was fine and grounds seem well maintained. Location is great and there is good shopping/dining within a walking distance. Rate I paid was a steal given where it is.

Room Tip: Hotel is very large, so ask for something closer to elevator if you don't want to walk too far.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott, Montvale? Share your experiences!