“A perfect choice for masochists” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
New Jersey
“A perfect choice for masochists”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

20 minutes after we sat down and still had not seen a waiter, I went to get one. He came. We ordered a beet salad to start. After another 25 minutes a Greek salad was put in front of us. After another 30 minutes we asked the waiter where our food was. We were told it would be ready in just a minute. Another 30 minutes went by and I was brought surf and turf. I had ordered French sea bass. I told the manager that wasn’t what I ordered and that we were leaving. He begged us to stay and offered to prepare something else. I said that we didn’t have another hour to wait. He told us he would prepare the dish himself and said that the dinner was on him and offered us dessert, as well. Since I had purchased a Groupon the offer of a free dinner didn’t mean much but he was well meaning.
Oh, about the food. It’s pretty good if you have a couple hours to kill waiting for it.

Montclair, New Jersey
“good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

i came in with a large group and we had a delicious meal with attentive service, yet let us linger after the meal and didnt rush us. Shwarma was very good

Visited October 2012
Woodbridge, New Jersey
“Nothing to write home about...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Went here recently for Hookah with some friends to wind down my birthday celebration.

Small, unassuming place. Walked past the dining room which is a bit small and to the back to the Hookah area. That area actually seemed a bit bigger than the dining area. A few tables with a small area with more open cushioned seating.

Once we got seated, our server came over to go over some of the special Hookah they offer. He left to give us some time to decide, but took him awhile to get back to us. Fortunately the manager came over to see how we were doing and when he found out how long we waited, he immediately tracked down our server.

We ordered the STP Hookah. Don't ask me what's in it, because when we asked the waiter, he was very vague. Just said that it had a fruity taste.

He came back with the Hookah we ordered and after a few minutes of smoking it, we noticed that there was leak so we had to place a couple of napkins under it. When we flagged down our server to tell him about it, his reaction was "Yeah, this one is pretty old. We're in the process of getting new ones." Then he proceeded to put more napkins under it to soak up the fluid, not even offering to get us a new one.

A few minutes later the manager came back to ask how everything was, and when we told him about the leak, he immediately apologized, took the Hookah away and replaced it with a brand new one.

Later on we ordered some food to munch on, Calamari and the Lamb Kabobs. The food was about average, nothing really special.

Quick note, the special Hookah is a bit pricey compared to the regular Hookah they serve and this place is BYOB. However if you forget to bring, there's a liquor store located conveniently across the street.

Will I go back? Maybe. The other servers seemed more attentive than the one we had, so may give them another shot. If I do, I'll update this review.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Garden State
“Not Worthy of Montclair”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I had been yearning to try Mediterranea for quite some time. I often frequent Montclair and whenever I walked by this place my eyes were always drawn to their outdoor patio. Although Fall has begun the weather has been a bit shifty lately and the temps got warm once again. So this past Friday my husband and I were able to sit outside and enjoy probably one of our last summery al fresco dining experiences this year. We both ordered the Chicken Kebabs for dinner. The chicken itself was fresh enough and was neither dried out or fatty, but the dish as a whole was actually disappointing and boring. The kebabs were served unskewered and without grilled vegetables. Instead, the dish came with a lame, thinly sliced “peppers and onions salad” that was unmemorable. I would have much rather preferred the norm-an accompaniment of fresh, grilled veggies. We also received one quarter of a tomato which was grilled to the color BLACK…no joke! Mediterranea serves its dishes with what they call “seasoned Basmati rice” which I had the opportunity to try for the first time and did not like one bit. It’s possible that they may have added their own seasoning to the rice, especially because I’ve never met a rice I didn’t like! This one turned me off because of some flavor in it that I could not quite identify…the best I could do to describe it is that it may have had a weird lemony taste. It was also clumpy in parts so I assume that it wasn’t very fresh. In my opinion the service here was both lacking and uncaring. It was too much effort for our server to clear away any of our plates. Someone else eventually came along and took them from us. Various random waitstaff came by asking us if we wanted coffee or dessert after we had already conveyed to our server that we were done and we were just waiting on him to return back our paid bill. Things like this come off as intrusive and irritating when you have numerous people coming over to your table and none of them have any clue as to what is going on. It just displays poor communication and I wouldn’t be surprised if that is typical here. When our server returned our credit card and receipt he slipped it on to our table unnaturally quick, without even giving us a glance…I couldn’t believe that he didn’t say a word of goodbye or appreciation to us! I mean the guy was definitely very noticeably weird and extremely awkward, but REALLY? It just goes to show how common courtesy is lacking in today’s society. That is pretty much all that I have to say about Mediterranea. I would never go back. Even the ambiance inside the restaurant isn’t nice at all and I was surprised to see what a dump it looked like. Their three main draws are that they are in hip downtown Montclair, they have an outdoor patio, and that you can smoke flavored Hookah there if that floats yer’ boat. I’m just relieved that I hadn’t suggested trying this place with friends…I’d feel really guilty about taking them to such a pitiful place!

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
nj
“Why bother?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Went with a group of friends. We were seated in the front and besides the screaming baby on a Saturday night it was very noisy. The service was very poor and unfriendly we were appalled. And to top off the evening the smoke from the hookahs permeated the entire restaurant. Definitely not worth it.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere