“Good food. Great atmosphere. Bring your own.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 177 Restaurants in Montclair
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Good for: Outdoor seating
Rutherford, New Jersey
“Good food. Great atmosphere. Bring your own.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I really enjoy going to Cuban Pete's. The friendly staff is always attentive. The food is very good although my Cuban Friend's say it is not 100% authentic which doesn't really concern me since its so tasty. Its a fun atmosphere with the Cuban band playing throughout the restaurant. Al Fresco dining tin the summer which is always enjoyable. The bring your own policy is a bit tricky, however. Call ahead & ask them to explain. We had to order a pitcher of soda last time in order for them to serve me my wine. Not sure why but it wasn't a problem since I was going to order one anyway.

Visited July 2012

“Dominic ....think of a boomerang. What goes around, comes around. One day, you'll get what you deserve.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

On a Friday evening out with the ladies, (5 of us),we walked into Cuban Pete's and put our name down. Dominic, the owner/mgr proceeded to then say it was an hour wait. OK....we would wait. Not 10 minutes later, the place started filling up with patrons. Names were being added to the list. Parties of 2, 3, 5, 7, you get the idea. Dominic is seating those people with smaller parties ahead of us, and that's ok...those smaller tables were available. A party of 5 that had walked in after us, was growing impatient. She went to her group and said "there is no way I can stand here for an hour, I'm going to see what I can do". Good for her! She went up to the hostess and Dominic. Not less than 2 minutes later, Dominic went over to her and her party and said "come on, come with me, I have something for you". Well, good for that lady! Curiosity had gotten the better of us, so, we went up to Dominic and asked very politely, "wasn't that party of 5 on the list after us?" That's all that was needed. Spontaneous combustion! "We don't do that here", "how dare you ask that question", "who do you think you are", "don't get loud with me", he was saying things out of left field and remember all that was asked was "wasn't that party of five on the list after us". The icing on the cake? He says real loud "ya know what? you're OFF THE LIST" OMG, suddenly I, as well as the ladies I was with, felt like we were suddenly placed in a Seinfeld episode. Not stooping to his level, I looked at him, shaking my head, grabbed the girls, and left. Beyond rude. The food isn't even that great. It's the ambiance that gets the crowd but hopefully, the crowd will soon figure out that right around the block, there are great places, filled with great food and a wonderful ambiance. It has been said that when people act defensive in such a way, it's probably feelings of guilt. He knows he got caught pulling a fast one. And you know what? It would have been fine and accepted had he come up with a more professional response. Or just a simple, "NO". Never again. Not worth it at all.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Montclair's Offbeat Place for beans”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

A caribbean oasis next to a ramblas type pedestrian walk, Church St. If you cann't get away to the Islands, go to Cuban Pete's for a touch of the warm ocean.

“WASTE OF TIME! RUDE RUDE RUDE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

So excited to go to this restaurant as I have been there before! We called and made a reservation for 7 people for a BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION and called back to change the reservation for 9. The girl on the phone clearly said ok!
We show up and they refuse to sit us because we had 9 people. A little short guy possibly the manager argued with me back and forth asking "what was the original party number" I told him 7 but we called right back and said 9. The hostess stood there and basically called me a liar and wouldn't even look at me when she was telling a lie!!

The manager argued with me in front of everyone ,embarrassed me and treated me with no respect! I asked him to please do something for us because we did call in advance and we were told it was ok.. On top of that it was my birthday as well as my cousins and drove 45 minutes from home.

The manager was NASTY,RUDE, COLD and had no managing skills what so ever! He hid behind the staff members and argued like a child!
He then said with an attitude "WELL YOU'LL HAVE TO WAIT 2 hours" ,turned his head and said "let's move on to the next one" and gave a random person a high five like he did justice!
You have to be kidding me!!!! How do you run a restaurant like this? I'm shocked and hurt by the way we were all treated!

This could have definetly been resolved in a different manner! I know many people that go there and will tell them of my experience today! They will never go back and I hope those of you who read this will think twice about going there! My family and I as well as friends will NEVER GO back again!!

SUCH A SHAME!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“AMAZING EXPERIENCE....DELICIOUS FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

From the entrance into the restaurant, we just knew this was going to be an experience. Great music was playing, restaurant packed but yes,there was a wait. How can there not be, it's a Saturday night and the food is absolutely delicious from the appetizers to the main course. There were 6 of us including 3 large men and we took home 5 doggie bags! Dominic the owner works his butt off running all over the place. We were told there would be a 2 hour wait but we only waited 55 minutes. The wait staff is so friendly; kept coming by to make sure everything was good. I would go back to this restaurant in a second and take every friend I know here.

• Visited November 2012