“A good find” 4 of 5 stars

973.337.5100
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fresco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #68 of 163 Restaurants in Montclair
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Bloomfield Ave and Park St.
Description: As the temperatures continue to drop and the last of the leaves fall, appetites for comford food undoubtedly increase. Head over to Fresco on Church Street in Montclair for an array of delicious food. Filled with authentic Italian flavors, creative dishes and homemade pastas and desserts, Fresco's new menu has something for everyone. Our recently revamped menu features homemade pastas, flavorful brick oven pizza and authentic Italian entrees as well as a selection of homemade desserts. With dishes designed for sharing and sampling, the new menu allows the opportunity to try a selection of dishes and flavors over the course of the meal. Whether you are dining alone, dinner for two or a family night, there is something sure to please everyone. We look forward to seeing you soon.
nj
“A good find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed tosca recently. The corn and arugula salad was finished with a mustard dressing that was quite good. Pappardelle bolognese was better than average. And if course as many Montclair restaurants are its byob. A word to the owner - if you plan on offering discounts through restaurant.com etc your wait staff should not make the customer feel like a second class citizen when they present the voucher. Maybe they wouldn't be there at all were it not for the voucher. Is that why you participate? We tipped on the full value so there is no reason to look down on that. Very annoying and I find many restaurants do not act very welcoming when they see you have a discount voucher. Not nice folks and bad for future business.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Clifton, New Jersey
“Wonderful Dining Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Our first visit on a very busy saturday evening , we were greeted and seated at our reservation time of 7. Our waitress was very helpful in recommending dishes-I had the mussels appatizer-THE BEST I HAVE EVER TASTED!! And the portion was very substantial. Followed by the Chicken Rollotino-another spectecular entree. I expressed how much we enjoyed the dining experience and the owner and the head chef came to our tablewith a complimentary dessert .I have been reving about our experience to all who will listen , I have also fowarded correspondence to the Star Ledger , New Jersey Magazine and Food and Wine-continued success!!!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Anniversary made very special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

My wife and I went to Tosca for a special event, it was the day of our 25th Anniversary. We had been to Tosca several times previously and always enjoyed it, but wanted to make sure it was still going to be special and caught up on some of the reviews. I was surprised that some people had not had a good experience, but I also had an anniversary gift certificate that I could use. So, we picked Tosca for this big day.

This was a Tuesday night, so it was empty, and this gave us particular attention. The chef actually waited on us himself and went out of his way to make the dinner special (he did know it was our anniversary). He made wonderful recommendations and gave us a free dessert. The food was spectacular, we shared a unique salad that included corn, and then I had some sea bass and it was mouth watering. I honestly can say I have never been disappointed by the food, and the atmosphere is open and relaxed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Not impressed, will not be returning.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

It's sad that I have to write a review like this but unfortunately it is true, first impressions do mean everything. My husband and I got a livingsocial coupon for Tosca and we were excited to check it out. The place itself has a nice ambiance and we liked that is was BYO. I ordered a pizza and my husband ordered the pasta special with a claim sauce. When it came time for our orders to come out, our waitress approached us with a pasta dish, that she admitted she "typed in the wrong order." What she was bringing out to us was pasta with mushrooms in a butter sauce. It was not the claim sauce which we originally ordered. She explained that there was "no pressure" to take this one and if we wanted she could put the order in for what we originally ordered. My husband decided to accept the dish and figured it couldn't be all that bad.

We then ordered one dessert to split and along came the bill. It was over $50 and we were floored. After looking it over we realized the dish that my husband didn't even order was $27! The funny thing is on the regular menu not one pasta dish was over $18. I'm sorry but $27 for noodles and mushrooms is not acceptable. When we asked our waitress why this was so expensive when it wasn't even what my husband order, she replied "well the one you order was a special also and would have been around that price anyway". Showing our disappointment she apologized and told us she would give us a free appetizer. Back comes our bill with a coupon for a free appetizer that had to be used with a $30 purchase, it was expiring within the next 5 days and was only allowed to be used on a Tues-Thurs. which only gave us 2 days to use it! I almost felt like this was a joke! We were so disappointed by this that we will not be returning. There are many other Italian style restaurants in the area we would much rather spend our money at.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Rutherford, New Jersey
“Disappointing Birthday Night Out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I had eaten at Tosca once before for a salad and pizza over the summer, which was good. When it came time to plan my birthday party, I thought this would be a good pick, given the non-stuffy atmosphere, BYOB and fairly reasonable prices.

We were a large table (13) and our appetizers came out at all different times, as in, some of us were waiting 15 minutes. My appetizer was one of them, and it was my birthday! Tsk! I lucked out with a very tasty entree (the scallops risotto), which others agreed, but my guests were not pleased with their dishes for the most part. Most people were not happy, and I do not have a complainy group of friends.. we just know good food! Even my husband's mozzeralla and tomato was not good (cheese was dry, not flavorful), which is usually a guaranteed tasty option.

Then, while I know I can't say this with certainty.. I have a strong suspicion that someone stole one of my birthday gifts. I left one bag on the table by accident, which was clearly a woman's birthday gift (lavender bag with a card, bath and body products, etc.). I was shocked that when I called the next day, it supposedly could not be found. Think of it what you will, but I was quite disappointed. I've worked in restaurants before.. the party leaves, and then the table is cleared and redressed. How can you miss a large purple gift bag on a table?!

Try another restaurant.. especially if you are a large group!

• 2 of 5 stars Food