“Just okay” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
New Jersey
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Looks can be deceiving - there's a big fish tank, sushi bar, Japanese-style bench seating - it looks like you could be stumbling upon a gem except for the big flat screen tvs that are on.

We've given this place a shot a few times and it always falls short on flavor. The rolls are interesting but always lacking pizzaz. The Thai food is never quite spicy enough - even if you ask for 'extra spicy'.

The seating is really uncomfortable - whether at a table or on the benches. We'll probably try the sushi bar seats and give the restaurant another shot because of its convenient location... no hurry though --with Peking Tokyo about five minutes away, it pretty much blows this place away in the flavor department.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The Food was OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We had tried this restaurant before when it was new and while the food was decent, it didn't strike me as anything special. However, it is to my knowledge the only Thai restaurant in the area. As we preferred the Vietnamese restaurant next door (probably the one the previous reviewer stated as being this restaurant), we hadn't gone back to this place in a year.

This review is for the Thai food only. As I have not tried their Sushi, I cannot comment on the fish or the Japanese dishes.

We decided to give Kawa another shot and went for lunch today. The staff was courteous but the place lacked any guests despite it being lunch time. The first thing that struck us was that the music was obnoxiously loud. On top of that, it wasn't even Asian music but part rap and part other stuff. I was particularly offended by some of the lyrics that were blasting at me.

The food was not bad but not very interesting either. We had the Pad Thai and the Gaeng Ped Pork. While the Pad Thai seemed to be made according to the more traditional recipe (it lacked lime though), the Gaeng Ped Pork did not have any of the vegetables stated in the menu. Fillers were huge wedges of unripe tomato (does not belong in Asian food) and carrots. There were no rhizome as stated in the menu nor were there any lime leaves. (Perhaps the restaurant misused the word rhizome, as it usually refers to ginger or tumeric in the food context.)

The lunch special came with a salad (ginger dressing) and a miso soup. Miso soup belongs in Japanese cuisine and should not have been served with a Thai dish. Perhaps giving patrons a choice of soup or salad dressing might be more appropriate for someone seeking Thai food.

Overall the dining experience was really marred by the volume and style of music. The offensive lyrics are not suited for children (luckily we didn't have any there or I would have left). The music was so loud that I had a hard time hearing the person across from me (and I am not hard of hearing!).

If you like Asian dishes, then try the Vietnamese restaurant a few doors down.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vineland, NJ
“Kawa Thai and Sushi, it's niiiiice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I have to give a big thumbs up to this place, as it is one of the only places in the area to get good sushi at a decent price. I have picked up their 3 rolls for $10 lunch special many many times, and rely on their pad thai as a quick dinner on my busy days. The portions are large, so I usually get two meals out of one! The inside is clean and comfortable, and the staff is friendly. Thanks Kawa!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
1,108 helpful votes 1,108 helpful votes
“If you like Vietnamese food - check it out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

The appearance of the interior is clean and shiny and for the Vietnamese cuisine lovers it is a very nice place to go for lunch or dinner. The food is very tasty and they serve the best Vietnamese coffee in the area. It is a rather simple restaurant but seems " solid '' and even somewhat enthusiastic about itself.

• Visited March 2012