“Decent food ruined by arrogance” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
“Decent food ruined by arrogance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We dined at this restaurant a few days ago and the experience was very disappointing. We had an 830 reservation on a Friday. The restaurant was busy, yet there was no one to greet me. I waited nearly 10 minutes in a corner by the front door (there is no place to wait) without being acknowledged. When I was finally acknowledged they basically told me to wait because the table was not ready. So I stood in the alcove ignored longer. I then was pushed out of the way by people trying to leave. In the mean time the rest of my party was outside trying to get in and could not get in with the ebb and flow of people in the entrance way.

We were finally seated and things started to improve. The other member of our party ordered a salad as an appetizer (ala carte) and calamari. The salad was a decent size. The calamari was overpowered a bit by the balsamic vinegar. I ordered the Fruit's de mare. The portion was not that large but it was tasty. The big issue we had with the food is that it took nearly an hour after the appetizer and the restaurant was not that busy as the evening went on. We discussed the issue of the initial wait and the length of the wait for the food with the manager and he did not seem to care. His response was that they did not fire the food until after our appetizer was served. It was pasta; it should not take too long. He ignored our response to this and our initial wait concerns. We also spoke to the owner’s daughter and she did not seem to care about our concerns either. There was not offer of an adjustment or even dessert or even that we are really sorry. Just that she worked in restaurants all over and knows what to do.

Overall the food was not bad, but it seemed overpriced given everything was ala carte and the portions were a bit small. But we could have overlooked it had things have worked out better.

Later that night and the next day I became queasy, my wife said perhaps I should not have complained about the wait or my issues until after I received my food. I told the manager about my concerns before I received my food. Who knows? At any rate we will not be back

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

New Jersey
“I'd give it SIX stars if they had them!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Wow! This place just nailed it. We had a group of eight people and every one of us felt the food, the service and the whole experience was just outstanding. Food was delicious and interesting (but without pretense) and the service (which last time was an issue there) should be the model for every waitperson everywhere. Our waitress anticipated our needs, didn't hover but kept every glass filled (our BYOB and water), and was simply spot on. In the group we had salmon, monkfish, steak, ravioli and more, and everyone said their dinner was perfect and memorable. The bruschetta which arrived even before all of us was simply the best ever. We had desserts, too, and they all hit the mark. Generally, I don't leave a place without something to complain about. Here, this night, there just wasn't anything that wasn't GREAT! We're absolutely going back, and raving to friends.

• Visited October 2012
NJ
“Back again...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Yes I took my girlfriend there and we had a nice time, it wasnt as noisy as on a Saturday. I love those doo dads they put on the table before ordering your meal. Yes Restaurant.com is nice to have a $25 off, and BYOB so for my friend and I it was well worth it. The Mushroom ravioli is a must... so good, I brought the left overs home and it was a tease wanted more. Everything was very good and the service as well.

Cannot wait to go back and take my son and his girlfriend. Parking is great too, across the street in the train parking lot, so cannot get any better, if you go to restaurants in Millburn you know how hard parking can be.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
West Orange, New Jersey
“great yet again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

three trips to this restaurant and loved it everytime! food,service and atmosphire all top notch! just found out they are on restaurant.com!!! one of my wife and i's favorite places to eat.

• Visited June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect Place to take the CEO”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I was in town on business and wanted to find an elegant, white table cloth restaurant to take a CEO to dinner. Cara Mia was perfect, with the right ambience, enticing menu and prompt service. It was also a short drive from the Short Hills Hilton.

My colleague was waiting for me when I arrived, sitting at a table by the window. (Note: avoid the window at sunset, because there are no curtains and the sun is blinding). Apparently it's BYOB and he went to the next door liquor store and bought a bottle of his favorite wine.

Every entree choice was something I liked -- shrimp, salmon, chicken, veal, short ribs, and pasta. I immediately selected the grilled shrimp della casa - with baked polenta, dusted with a pesto parmesan crust, with asparagus and roasted tomato. My colleague got the beef short ribs, which cam with saffron risotto and gremolata. My dish was exactly what I wanted, and my friend cleaned his plate.

The conversation was funny, informative and confidential .... but I digress. For dessert I got the pistachio gelato, which I haven't had in years, and he got the chocolate mousse cake. They were so good we polished off every bit.

The waitress was attentive but not intrusive. She notices we were gabbing away after dessert thankfully and she let us enjoy the table, until I signaled for the check.

Dinner for two with a tip (no alcohol) was $120. I'll be coming back here.

• Visited July 2012