“Best place in the area” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 12 restaurants in Milford
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
washington, nj
“Best place in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We absolutely love the Oyster House. We like to try to go weekly if we can manage the time. The staff really makes you feel like you are welcome. The drinks are perfect ! We usually eat in the bar but for more of a quiet setting I'd opt for the dining room. You can't go wrong with the seafood here. Some of our favorite apps are the shrimp cocktail, crab cocktail, and mushroom dish, there are often cool specials that are really different. Plus you can order from tavern or bar menus...added plus !! We always get the garlic salad and whatever we feel like for dinner. Last time I had shrimp and scallop scampi with a yummy squash side and polenta....delicious !! I must tell you....the deserts are all amazing but my personal favorite is Amy's cheesecake.. I will make the 20 min trip just for that if they have it !! It's the best I've ever had !!! I hope you enjoy it there as much as we do.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Frenchtown, NJ
“Great Bar and Tavern Menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Oyster house offers a great selection of beer on tap and wine by the glass, and that is the draw for us. There is always at least one IPA, often two or three. Wine pours are generous, unlike several local places I could name (and thus do not frequent). Tavern menu items and apps are usually tasty though occasionally bland. I especially like the hunan shrimp and the spinach salad. Chef Ed makes his own cole slaw and it kicks; just the right mix of creamy and crunchy. The best meal I've had was a tuna melt that started with sushi-grade tuna topped with fresh avocado, served with crispy salty homemade fries and slaw. It was way over the top calorie-wise, but oh so yummy. Shrimp cocktail is succulent and you order (and pay $$ per) the number of shrimp you want. The atmosphere is lovely in the dining room. The bar is cozy and full of lively chatter with darts and a pool table at the back. Amy is a gracious hostess and Chris P at the bar always makes us laugh with his odd-ball stories and humor.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
new jersey
“Hidden gem in Hunterdon County”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

As part of a 35th wedding anniversary weekend "staycation," my husband and I decided to have dinner at the Milford Oyster House. It was an excellent choice. The restaurant is housed in a lovely, historic building. The stone walls and table lighting give it a cozy feel, but the highlight is the food and service. This was our first time here and we were not disappointed. The staff was very friendly and efficient and the food was excellent. I enjoyed an appetizer of Rhode Island oysters, followed by Crab Norfolk. My husband had steamed clams and the Oyster and Shellfish stew. We splurged for dessert, and the grilled pound cake with house made strawberry ice dream was delicious. The dinner was pricey, but in addition to the dining room, there is a tavern room with a budget-friendly menu. We will definitely go back again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Somerset, New Jersey
“Oysters with an oyster chaser”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I guess you can tell by the title of this review, that I'm an oyster lover.

I can't vouch for the rest of the menu but for the oyster part, this place delivers.
Ok, I didn't indulge in the whole oyster menu. (That will be done in stages on follow up visits). However, the raw menu is very, very good. I followed up a dozen raw with an order of fried, you know what. GREAT!

Out of a party of four the other three dinners had the encrusted grouper, cod and crab meat. I heard only good words about their meals.

It's a bit of a ride for us to get there, but we shall return.

The only bad thing to say about The Milford Oyster House, is that it draws quite a crowd, and there isn't enough room in the parking lot. We had to park in the church lot down the street, and walk to the restaurant. (not really that inconvenient, we had good weather).

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Foodie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This family-owned quaint venue was a highlight to our weekend experience. Though it is known for fresh seafood and oysters we enjoyed one of the best filet mignon dishes in our dining experience. The environment is cozy with low lighting and stone walls and fireplace. There is also another side of the restaurant which has a tavern feel and bar and offers more casual food choices from juicy burgers to BLT. We enjoyed the experience both of our nights in town!

Visited July 2013