“Good Indian Food in Middletown” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Buffet
Middletown, New Jersey
“Good Indian Food in Middletown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I've eaten here two or three times (all at lunchtime). I think the food and service are fine. We were greeted warmly and served promptly. They have a buffet at lunch with lots of choices, but I've always opted to order from the menu (lots of selections).

The food is tasty, and portions are healthy. I can't speak to the food's "authenticity" -- having never been to India, but I can tell you there were lots of Indian folks eating there, and I went with an Indian friend who thought the food was very good.

Its BYO, which helps keep the cost of a meal down.

Recommended. In a town with very few good eating options, this is one.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Rude, Slow Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

My overall experience at this restaurant was extremely distressing due to the slow service and having been lied to by the server regarding the degree of spice in the dish I ordered. Our party of four were seated promptly in the half-full dining room at approximately 6:00PM on a recent Saturday evening. We had tickets for an 8:00PM movie nearby, and thought we had plenty of time to enjoy our meal. I chose a dish on the menu that sounded good, and asked the woman who took our orders if the dish was very spicy, as I eat Indian food, but cannot tolerate very spicy food. "Nah," she said. "Not spicy." I asked her again, as I was not convinced by her off-hand wave and cavalier manner. I told her that I can't eat extremely spicy food." "Nah, nah," she said, with a look of disdain. Against my better judgment, I ordered the dish. Our food finally arrived after nearly an hour and a half - after several apologies by the owner, with the explanation that "they were taking care of delivery and take-out orders," which is completely unacceptable. My dish arrived, and as my fork touched my lips, I knew that I couldn't eat it. It was extremely spicy, to the degree of a vindaloo, which I would never order. I told the owner what I ordered, and he said, "Oh no - that is a very spicy dish." At this point, we didn't have time to wait for another dish to be prepared for me. I told the owner that I was told otherwise by the woman who served us, who turned out to be his wife. I had no dinner that evening after an excessive wait, and we missed our movie. I can't comment on the food, since I couldn't eat it, but want to caution potential diners about the abysmal and dismissive service. The owner didn't even offer to take the dish off our check, which would have been a decent gesture. Others might like the food, but in terms of my experience, I will not go back to this restaurant again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“A favorite for years, friendliest restaurant in town...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We have been eating at Neelam for about 8 years, the owners treat us like family, and the food is excellent. I don't know how anyone can complain at all, as I have eaten here at least 50 times and not had an inconsistent meal. The service is great! I personally love the Navrattan Korma, the special appetizer, and the special Naans. They will make any order to taste. They have a great buffet for those who are new to Indian cuisine to try a little of everything and it is moderately priced. My daughter has been eating here since she was a baby and also loves it. It's an event for her whenever we go. The Mango Lassi drink is a big hit with the kids as is the rose ice cream and the khulfi dessert. Oh, and they do take out.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oceanport, New Jersey
“Always a good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Have eaten here at least a dozen times---don't know why I never reviewed before because we absolutely love the food. The tandori grill menu items are fantastic---especially love the Neelam special kabob. Other favorites are the chicken tika masala and just about any of the yogurt based chicken dishes. Last nite we went with four family members who were all Indian food virgins---they loved it! Two had the tandori combination dinners and raved about them all nite. Even my sister, who really doesn't try much of anything out of her comfort zone, enjoyed the experience. The owners are all really friendly and helpful with ordering. It's definitely one of our "go to" places.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Red Bank, New Jersey
“Best Indian Food in the Tri-State!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Great place to eat and Relax with the Family.. There Chicken Tikka Masala makes me come back week after week! The service is Excellent, Cook is Magnificent and The interior of the Restaurant is Beautiful!!.. You want a Taste of India Go here as soon as possible!!

• Visited August 2012