“Maplewood redux” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Somers Point, New Jersey
“Maplewood redux”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The Maplewood in Mays Landing has been remade into a nice place! The food was always ok there but my recent visit showed me that the kitchen has also been improved.Our party of 4 had appetizers and 2 bottles of chianti, as well as entrees and everything was delicious.The Cavatelli Franco was one of the better entrees I have ever had. Veal scallopine also got raves, and we all left happy. This might as well be a different restaurant. Try it again for the first time.....

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

new jersey
“Something has changed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We are locals who visit the Maplewood several times a year. Something has changed since the renovations. The staff is still as friendly as ever, the food very good as always, but the portion sizes have been reduced significantly. Being a leftover cold pasta lover this is significant. Prior to the renovations there was no way I ever finished my plate. I looked forward to my leftovers the next morning or later that night! Each time we have visited since the reopening I and my wife were able to finish our meal without bringing anything home. Needless to say I am a bit dissappointed and after speaking to several other locals they too voiced similar reviews. We will continue to come, but with Angelo's equal distance away it may not be as frequent.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Watery sauces with matching flavor...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was the most disappointing experience I've had in a restaurant in many years. It started immediately after seating. I opened my menu to find food stuck in it. Then I ordered the mussels casino. Garbage. All I tasted was cheese and bacon. They were tiny and dry. Our entrees were no better. I ordered the Elenor and my friend ordered something just as forgettable. My entrée was based on a red sauce that appeared to be watered down ketchup and tasted like chef boyrdee. My friends entrée was based on a white clam sauce. She said it tasted like they simply took a can of clams and dumped it on her plate. She decided against eating the entrée there and instead took it home where she added white wine, garlic and lemon. Our server never refilled our drinks and we were brought sides that we didn't order. The salad was a joke. It tasted like cheap vegetable oil. Needless to say, I won't be returning there. It's bad when you rather go to the Olive Garden.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Marmora, New Jersey
“Never had a bad meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This restaurant is consistently excellent. The food is delicious. My favorite is called cousins. Lobster and crab in a white wine sauce over home made pasta. My favorite app is the claims casino. They recently redecorated and it is really nice now. The food was always excellent, but the decor was definitely dated. It's a great place to eat. Once you try it, you will go back over and over again.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cheltenham, Pennsylvania
“Very good red sauce / pasta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I almost always stop here on our way home from the shore. It's just very classic Italian-American food.

Get some spaghetti because it's home made and you almost never find that anywhere else.

Inside it's a little rough, but the food makes up for it... I read it may have been updated since my visit, so this comment may be out dated.

• Visited August 2013