“Outside dining” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Inn At Sugar Hill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 71 Restaurants in Mays Landing
Cuisines: American, Eclectic
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 40
Transit: Public service bus route has a scheduled stop within walking distance from the Inn.
Description: The Courier Post recently honored the Inn with three & a half stars boasting, “Owner/chef Larry Boylan has put a kitchen full of thought into his waterside Inn at Sugar Hill.” That “thought” process has been ongoing for Boylan & his Inn for 22 years now, with no signs of letting up. “ I believe a good dining experience has the ability to not only nourish the body, but also nourish a persons’ soul… to be able to reach out & touch someone on that level is a high that gives me a lot of satisfaction & motivates me”, states Boylan. As an authentic Country Inn, the Inn at Sugar Hill has always strives to provide old world hospitality to both its’ dining & bed & breakfast guests. This philosophy has led to creating menus that reflect not only current culinary trends, but also respect the palates of those less adventurous. “Before I print a new menu I always look it over & say… what are my parents going to order & then… what are my teenage daughters going to like!
new jersey
“Outside dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We wanted to eat outside cause it was a nice night. The atmosphere was great live music really good service great people. The food was good the steamed claims were great one the best I have had. The sandwich I had was ok, not great but not bad, the pizza was awful like cardboard. All and all I would go there again. Oh yea the kids loved feeding the ducks.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Laurel Springs, NJ
“Delicious Food, and What a View!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I met an old friend for lunch recently at the Inn at Sugar Hill and we had a delightful meal. Most tables in the dining room have a view of the water, or you could request seating on the sun porch and enjoy the water view. I had the Cobb Salad Wrap, which was one of the day's specials, and my friend had the crab cake sandwich. My wrap was huge, and just chock full of all the goodies you have in a regular Cobb salad. I ended up taking half home with me to enjoy the next day. My sandwich also came with a cup of very good tomato basil bisque. My friend also enjoyed her sandwich. The service was a little uneven, but our waitress was taking care of more tables than she should have, including a table of 8, so we didn't let it bother us. The Inn also has a dock area that is open in the evening, serving food & drinks, with live music. I am making plans to head back there on a Friday or Saturday night!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful food; attitude--not!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I would first like to say that the food at this restaurant is delicious. Having eaten here about a half dozen times over the past few years, we have always had a pleasant experience. The great food, old-fashioned ambiance, water-side view, and attentive service have always been hallmarks of the Inn, making the hour-long trip here worth it for us. Would that this had been the case last night.

Our party of four arrived on time for our 7pm reservation and soon noticed that even though the restaurant itself was not crowded, service seemed really slow. When the waitress finally brought the bottle of wine that our friend had ordered, he noticed that the name on the label was different from that stated on the wine list. She insisted that it was in fact the same wine, and rather than get into an argument over it, we did a tasting, it seemed okay, and we stuck with it. Probably a bad idea. The whole evening went downhill from there.

Each course seemed to take forever to finally reach the table, although as I said previously the restaurant was not crowded--about 10 tables had patrons. There is also a dockside bar about 50 yards away and that was busy; however, that was not being serviced by our waitress. In fairness to her, she was the ONLY server in the restaurant, there was no busboy, and the occupied tables were spread fairly far apart. We finally received our main course a little after 9PM. During this long wait, the delay was not explained, our water glasses were not refreshed, etc. In fact, the couple at the next table had waited so long, they became disgusted and asked for theirs to be boxed up so they could take it with them--upstairs. Poor things. They were staying at this so-called "inn"! Because it was by now getting too late to order dessert and coffee (who knows when that would finally be served?), we finally left around 9:45 after paying the bill and drove home.

As a perhaps fitting addendum to this negative experience, the credit card charges for our bill were apparently entered incorrectly and we were charged a total of 3 times for our share of the bill. When I discovered this error the next day, I immediately called and spoke to the chef/owner. He blamed "cyberspace" and said it would "probably" correct itself within the next day or so. He would take no responsibility and offered no apologies. Ditto for our less than stellar experience the night before. His overall attitude is so cavalier and insincere that one wonders how he manages to stay in business. Needless to say, he won't be getting any more of ours.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Average food @ premium price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Dinners are over-priced & of mediochre quality, snacks @ the water-side tiki bar are fun though

Visited July 2011
New Jersey
“Appalling”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Ok, I chose this restaurant because it's positively reviewed and I've always wanted to try it since it's in my home area (pass it a lot on the way to Hamilton Mall, etc). My mom, sis, and I went for mother's day. We were seated outside in a gazebo and our reservation honored. The servers were fine. My issue was with the food.

I asked the server to check if virgin mojitos were made and if not, I'd take a virgin strawberry daiquiri. My mom and sis wanted virgin daiquiris also. The server returns to tell us no mojitos (fine), but also no daiquiris because the blender is at the dockside grill. Now, why should the blender being in another location on the same property (literally like 25 yards beyond the main restaurant) mean no daiquiris? Let's just say mom wasn't impressed.

Then on to our food: I ordered Tomato Bisque (lovely) and the others ordered crab bisque. No complaints on that. For our entrees, I and my sis ordered steak and crab combo (came with 2 sides: I chose mashed and summer veg), with the steak to be cooked well done. Mom ordered the veal special. The veal wasn't scarfed down and she wasn't feeling it. As for our steaks, they were so red inside, I imagine ordering it rare would have resulted in the cow mooing at your table accompanied with a sacrificial knife. I know some places mistake well-done for medium well, but this was just way too bloody.

Now why didn't we just ask them to cook it again? Because we were already too annoyed to wait for them to cook it further. We opted to take it home and re-cook it ourselves, which is pretty sad when you think about it. The only good thing about the dish were the veggies and slaw (the slaw I don't recall being a part of the menu description). The mashed was lacking any depth or creaminess. For dessert, they were offering complimentary "small" desserts. Mom ordered the carrot cake option with ice cream on the side. I saw nothing I wanted, so I ordered from the regular menu, a white chocolate bread pudding. It tasted fine, but it contained so many nuts on top that I also didn't recall being in the menu description. Luckily, I could break it off, as it was a topping of sorts, but wholly unappreciated. I HATE, I mean DETEST nuts in my desserts. If the menu did say nuts, well, my bad. At any rate, it shouldn't be HALF the dish!

Now, here's the kicker. I ordered a chicken pot pie to go since I heard it was banging and my husband likes that dish. I didn't look at it until I went home. When I did, imagine my complete shock that it was just chicken and veg with a biscuit (a heart-shaped biscuit at that)! How does that even come CLOSE to being a pie?! It cost $16 and they didn't even deign to put the filling into an actual pie crust. They need to work on their menu descriptions and change their prices if they're going to not make any effort. I was so appalled at the pot pie that I have a mind to call the restaurant and discuss it.

I will NEVER come to this establishment again. I hate giving bad reviews, and sometimes, bad reviews are a restaurant having a bad day. But this was unforgiveable.

• Visited May 2012