“We loved the inn!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Sugar Hill

The Inn at Sugar Hill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mays Landing
The Inn at Sugar Hill
5704 Mays Landing Road, Somers Point Road, Mays Landing, NJ 08330   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Mays Landing B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“We loved the inn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I wanted to go on a weekend trip to Atlantic City, but all the hotels in AC were way too expensive. We decided to try a bed and breakfast.

This one is about a 20 minute drive to Atlantic City. We got there on a Saturday around 1PM, but it was too early for check-in, so we just continued on to AC. We did the casino's, walked the boardwalk, did some shopping. Had a fun day.

When we got to the Inn, check-in was super fast, we went up into our room, freshened up, then went down the the bar and hung out in the gazebo. (Warning: bring a spray or something for the mosquitos, they were terrible!) The bar was great, had several different local beers to chose from.

The next morning we woke up and came down for breakfast, and saw a bunch of muffins/pastry/danish and fruit on the table. We thought that was breakfast, so we just about ate it all, when the owner came out and asked what we wanted for breakfast!

We had the crab basil souffle.. it was so good!

Food was good, room was nice, drinks were good. We have been trying to get back to the Inn, but have been so busy this summer! Hope to be able to come back soon.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Ok, I chose this restaurant because it's positively reviewed and I've always wanted to try it since it's in my home area (pass it a lot on the way to Hamilton Mall, etc). My mom, sis, and I went for mother's day. We were seated outside in a gazebo and our reservation honored. The servers were fine. My issue was with the food.

I asked the server to check if virgin mojitos were made and if not, I'd take a virgin strawberry daiquiri. My mom and sis wanted virgin daiquiris also. The server returns to tell us no mojitos (fine), but also no daiquiris because the blender is at the dockside grill. Now, why should the blender being in another location on the same property (literally like 25 yards beyond the main restaurant) mean no daiquiris? Let's just say mom wasn't impressed.

Then on to our food: I ordered Tomato Bisque (lovely) and the others ordered crab bisque. No complaints on that. For our entrees, I and my sis ordered steak and crab combo (came with 2 sides: I chose mashed and summer veg), with the steak to be cooked well done. Mom ordered the veal special. The veal wasn't scarfed down and she wasn't feeling it. As for our steaks, they were so red inside, I imagine ordering it rare would have resulted in the cow mooing at your table accompanied with a sacrificial knife. I know some places mistake well-done for medium well, but this was just way too bloody.

Now why didn't we just ask them to cook it again? Because we were already too annoyed to wait for them to cook it further. We opted to take it home and re-cook it ourselves, which is pretty sad when you think about it. The only good thing about the dish were the veggies and slaw (the slaw I don't recall being a part of the menu description). The mashed was lacking any depth or creaminess. For dessert, they were offering complimentary "small" desserts. Mom ordered the carrot cake option with ice cream on the side. I saw nothing I wanted, so I ordered from the regular menu, a white chocolate bread pudding. It tasted fine, but it contained so many nuts on top that I also didn't recall being in the menu description. Luckily, I could break it off, as it was a topping of sorts, but wholly unappreciated. I HATE, I mean DETEST nuts in my desserts. If the menu did say nuts, well, my bad. At any rate, it shouldn't be HALF the dish!

Now, here's the kicker. I ordered a chicken pot pie to go since I heard it was banging and my husband likes that dish. I didn't look at it until I went home. When I did, imagine my complete shock that it was just chicken and veg with a biscuit (a heart-shaped biscuit at that)! How does that even come CLOSE to being a pie?! It cost $16 and they didn't even deign to put the filling into an actual pie crust. They need to work on their menu descriptions and change their prices if they're going to not make any effort. I was so appalled at the pot pie that I have a mind to call the restaurant and discuss it.

I will NEVER come to this establishment again. I hate giving bad reviews, and sometimes, bad reviews are a restaurant having a bad day. But this was unforgiveable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

The Inn at Sugar Hill was fantastic. The home itself was beautiful and pretty much what you would want in a cute bed and breakfast. It was quiet, clean but with all the ammenities of a larger hotel, including a downstairs pub and restaurant. The view is great, right next to a cute dock by the river. The accomodations were nice, with one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in, whether it was in a B&B or a 5 star resort.

But two of the most important things to me, are the food and the people.

The food. Wow. Ok, I know we only had breakfast there, but honestly, it was enough to be impressed, and lord knows I'm picky. After breakfast the first day, we wished we had come earlier the night before so we could have had lunch and dinner.

The people. The owners were great! Personable, knowledgable and really down to earth good folks. They are the kind of people you want to stay with and hope that others will also support them because they just deserve it. It is well priced for the area and I found it to be worth every penny.

I highly recommend this B&B, whether for romance, business or a weekend getaway with friends or family, it is worth it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We were looking for a cozy place to stay where we could feel "special". The Inn at Sugar Hill is a lovely B&B where we were able to just get away from it all and enjoy some much needed "couple time". Our room (the Minni Moore Room) was quaint, cheerful and had the most comfortable brass and iron bed with a super mattress. I slept like a baby! We could see the river from our window and the room had a charming fireplace. The super clean private bathroom was quite large and stocked with soaps, shampoos and fluffy towels. No need to travel anywhere for dinner... we ate right on the porch overlooking the river. The food was amazing. After dinner, we took a nice stroll around the property as the sun started to set on the river and a romantic full moon started to rise. In the morning, it was a pleasant surprise to find tables set for breakfast for the guests with a big bowl of fresh fruit, a basket of fresh muffins & scones and a big pot of hot coffee. Tea was brought to my husband immediately upon request. It is so nice to sit at a pretty glass-top table with pretty china, silverware and crisp cloth napkin! I was surprised when the chef-owner Larry Boylan asked us how we wanted our egg souffle! I thought the fruit and muffin was the complete breakfast. The spinach and goat cheese mini souffle I ordered was divine! All through out our stay, we really felt pampered. It was so refreshing to slow down and enjoy just being together at the Sugar Hill! An extra bonus is that the B&B is so close to Atlantic City. This was such a nice alternative to staying in a hotel. We recommend staying here and we will be back again~

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

I knew in five minutes I was coming back. Your Inn, the food, the people and the entertainment were excellent; I would highly recommend the Inn on Sugar Hill to anyone!! The owner/proprietor, Larry Boylan, is a class act. I was "hours" early due to a frozen lake I couldn't fish, and Larry asked me in and the hospitality started and never ended! After a brief early history of the area (very interesting), I was given the baker's tour and choice of rooms to stay in. Afterwards, I went and fished for about 3 hours off one of his docks. The room was neat, clean and comfortable; I didn't want for anything. I actually had dinner guest in the room having a few drinks before going down to the bar where some very nice Jazz was being played! Larry is also the chef, and believe me, this guy can cook; the food was simply Awesome!! Do yourself a favor and visit the Inn at Sugar Hill!

Jimmy

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Spring Creek, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I've stayed at other B&B's, and this one has been the best. So many treat you like a "hotel guest" and while that is not always bad, we don't stay at B&B's to get treated like a hotel guest. The Inn at Sugar Hill is an old home right on the Great Egg Harbor River and the atmosphere there is incredible. I asked for a room with a water view and I got it. We wanted a "personal" breakfast each of the three mornings and we got it. We ate in the cozy and intimate dining room and chef-owner Larry Boylan easily proved that he can serve up the nicest of formal dinners. Half of the dining area is inside, and the other half is on the enclosed porch with windows overlooking the river. The staff was friendlier than you'll EVER find at a motel, and even most B&B's, and manager Margaret was so friendly and helpful that by the time we left I felt almost like family. The room we used (Pennington) was clean and comfortable and the appliances and fixtures all worked fine. To cap it all off, take a drink out to the dock at the end of the day and watch the sun go down as the sailboat is rocking gently on the waves. You can't get much better than this. Check out their web site and give Larry or Margaret a call. Tell them "Sonny Hand" sent you!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
arlington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

Booked 2 nights. No property employees onsite overnight. Could not get outside line on telephone. Second night returned at 9:00 pm. Building was completely empty. Room had not been made up from previous night, No fresh towels, bed not made up, dirty coffee cups left. Felt very unsafe second night as we were only occupants and no working telephone. Packed up and left at 10:00 pm. Would definitely not recommend.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
jgkdmkrjk, Manager at The Inn at Sugar Hill, responded to this review, August 27, 2008
It is our policy to advise all our guests that we do not have outside lines available and on our website we recommend bringing a cell phone. We do our best to make our guests feel safe and at home at the Inn however, as a small bed and breakfast it would be impractical for us to keep staff on through the night as some larger places do. In regards to your lack of maid service, normally,our housekeeper does make up the room , replacing towels. bathing products and in room coffee supplies. Unfortunately we were not aware that this had not been done until I found this review a year later and therefore could not rectify the situation. I apologize just the same.

Been to The Inn at Sugar Hill? Share your experiences!