“vacation trip” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
new york
“vacation trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

i came from new york for a little vacation
with family and i was looking for a nice seafood soup and a nice cold beer and somebody told me to stop to this friendly restaurant in margate they told me price is right and the food excellent and they were right about it. this is my favorite spot now were food an service excellent.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Mangos exceeded my expectations! By far!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

On our way to the new casino "Revel" me and my husband were driving through Margate to have dinner at Johnny's. As we drove down Ventnor Ave. we saw a HUGE sign that said "Now Open" on the restaraunt next to the dairy bar called Mangos. We decided to see what it Was all about as we were in the mood for tacos, burritos etc but boy were we pleasently surprised. We were seated by our server Will and he informed us that they are a B.Y.O.B and asked if we wanted any wine he would fetch it for us. We said we would like a nice Merlot and Will WENT TO THE STORE down the street to get it for us. Best service we have ever had in all our years of dining. The menu was a complete shock also, this was not a cookie cutter Mexican place, it encompassed foods from all over South America. I ordered the Jamaican jerk chicken and my husband had a Columbian Ceviche and Tipical. We have traveled numerous times to Jamaica and South America and if we didn't already know, we would swear we were on vacation. The ceviche which I shared was incedible, my husbands tipical had everything from soup to nuts. Steak, plantain, rice, beans, a piece of fried columbian bacon, avacado- I could go on if I could only remember. My plate was the best jerk chicken I have ever had anywhere. Will was so polite and prompt, the food also impeccible, what was there not to like? The place could use something to liven up the atmosphere, like others dining there, a little more along the lines of decor but all in all this has become one of our favorite spots that we will be frequenting!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Don't eat here !!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012 via mobile

I went to mangos looking forward to a good meal. It ended up being the worst experience at any restaurant I have ever had. I ordered the empanadas and not only are they 3 dollars a piece with barley any chicken in it, they completely fell apart on me. I then recieved my entree which was the BBQ .... My entire meal was burnt to a crisp, i could barley eat it. I had found out after I got there that it is under new management. This could be why the food was terrible. So if anyone out there was looking to eat at mangos in margate I would Definatly rethink your dinner plans.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“The secret is out......this one is a winner !!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

While vacationing in Ocean City, NJ my husband and I were looking for restaurants where we could bring our own wine for dinner. We are foodies from Montreal, so we’re looking for something good to eat; and certainly NOT fried seafood!!. We're looking for something special and boy did we find it! This restaurant just opened in June as it had replaced the previous one. Our entire experience was excellent, from the moment we walked in the door. The hostess guided us to a nice table in a pretty dining room. The decor is cute but nothing special. However the waitress who served us was exceptional. She was just chatty enough to be interesting, and white glove enough to know when to disappear. She described each dish so we were able to make informed choices according to our likes. Once our food arrived and we started eating, we knew we had found a little jewel in hiding. After our sumptuous diner, while we polished off our wine, the chef-owner Sam came over and sat at our table for about 15 minutes, and gave us a bit of history about his career and the restaurant. Our dinner at the restaurant was the best and most pleasant evening during the time we were in that area. This is the type of place that you want to keep secret, because everything was just SO PERFECT that you want to go back a repeat the experience numerous times. I wish the best of luck to the restaurant. Keep up the good work! WE WILL BE BACK!!!!

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“Right in the Latin Neighborhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Here's a neighborhood restaurant that's different. It's Latino cuisine in a Margate neighborhood which is not Latin. Don't expect fancy and don't expect comfort. The restaurant is very small and tables are almost on top of each other. Air conditioning is on at full blast, so bring your winter coat.

The main attraction is the food, which is about average. The King has had authentic Cuban food in the past and this is not quite up to the real thing, but in Margate its close enough. I ordered the chicken jerkey - very spicy but good. More rice and plantine than chicken, but I was looking to top it off afterwards any at the Dairy Bar so it was good that I had room for desert.

My wife had the grouper and she offered me up a small sample, which was about average. That small sample was about half of her entire platter, but she was looking beyond that too for the trip to the Dairy Bar.

• Visited August 2011