“Wonderful B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Les Saisons

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maplewood
Les Saisons
304 Elmwood Ave, Maplewood, NJ 07040   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Maplewood B&B and Inns
rochester, ny
“Wonderful B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a week this past May and then for a weekend about a month ago. We have zero complaints and very much enjoyed our stay at this comfortable old home which Art (the owner) grew up in. Here is our impression of our stays.

The rooms are lovely. Ours was clean upon arrival and very appealing in terms of the furniture - I am not an expert, but I am certain there were quite a few true antiques. The rooms are not made up every day. Art told us this when we checked in. For us this is a non-issue. And if you needed something (maybe you prefer clean towels daily) Art would graciously provide that. Just ask!!! The bathroom does not have toiletries beyond soap and shampoo, so pack accordingly. The towels are thick and of good quality.

The house itself is beautiful. Large with one of the quietest and most relaxing living rooms I have seen at a B&B. I did not check every room but ours had a flat screen TV with basic cable. Our room also had a faux fireplace which really added to the ambiance. The bed was as comfortable as you could ask for. (We stayed in the Summer room which has a king size).

Breakfast. If Art does not have many guests he will serve breakfast in the kitchen; otherwise in the dining room. You can tell him the day before when you would like to eat - there are no set times. I have been to many B&Bs and have had many fancy complicated gourmet type breakfasts. Do not expect that here. You will get a simple and satisfying breakfast. There is always cereals and fruit. Art will cook you a perfect cheese omelet with sausage or bacon, or, if you are lucky, the king of NJ breakfast meats: Taylor ham. Also toast, OJ, coffee. I find nothing to complain about here. There is also coffee available any time with one of those machines that use the little cups (the name escapes me). Knowing Art, if you told him ahead of time you wanted a good NJ bagel, he would ensure you got one.

We found Art to be a helpful and accommodating host and I'll end with two quick tales.

We were going into NYC for a day and it was raining. So the 1 mile walk to the train station was not happening. Weekday parking at the train station is non-existent due to the large number of commuters who fill the parking by 7.30am. Solution: Art drove us. "What time do you want to leave?" He offered to pick us up too!

On our last stay he asked what we wanted for breakfast and I told him we were going to the local family restaurant. I grew up in NJ, moved to upstate NY 10 years ago, and Taylor ham is now hard to find. I had to get my eggs and Taylor ham. The next morning, you know how this ends, Art had Taylor ham to accompany my omelet. And he bought the kind you slice - thick! Thanks Art - a perfect breakfast.

We would not consider staying anywhere else when we come to NJ to visit family. Thanks for everything Art - you are a terrific host and I already miss my Taylor ham!!

ps - I did not mean to click terrible on the swimming pool. It had a major structural problem and is out of commission - that is very different from being terrible.

Room Tip: Ask Art - he will help you decide which is right for you.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

May 28, 2012
We drove from Kentucky on Sunday, May 27th. When we got there, the owners, Art and Libby, told us the A/C was out and would not be fixed until Thursday. But they put a fan in our room. The room had rolls of dust on the floor. It had one single lamp with a dull light bulb. We kept the window open and had the ceiling fan and another small fan to keep the room air circulating.
No other outlets in the room worked. The TV is a small flatscreen that sits below the bed, so you cannot view it from the bed. The bathroom had two flourescent lights around the medicine cabinet mirror above the since. They are the old fashion fixtures that give very little light. The tile is black, which makes it very difficult to see in the shower when you pull the dark shower curtin around. There is no key to lock your door when you leave for the day. There was no breakfast at all....not even coffee. We did not ever see Art again. We saw Libby run out infront of us through the kitchen door to get to her car. Not one word was ever spoken to us about the breakfast, that, according to their email, is included. When we got back to our room that night, everything was as we left it. The bed was not made, and the towels not replaced with fresh ones. We packed our things as best we could see and got out of there as quickly as we could. We stayed at a B & B the weekend before called the Inn at Sugar Hollow, which was wonderful. The rooms were cleaned up with fresh towels and the bed made and everything worked. The homemade buffet breakfast was way beyond what we were expecting. Everything was homemade and delicious. And they kept the coffee flowing and we ate in a beautiful dining room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Les Saisons, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
WOW! All I can say is I'm very sorry; and had I known things were even half as "Awful" as they said, I would have been more than happy to have refund their money and paid for their room somewhere else. All our guests were advised that weekend that the central air just broke and that cancellations were not a problem for us. Our ceiling fans all have three bright bulbs if they had pulled the other chain. If once in a while I'm not available to make a hot breakfast, our dinning room table is always set and there's always a continental breakfast set up in the kitchen for guests with cereal, fruit, juice, and a pod coffee machine. My wife Libby leaves early everyday to work in her own business. Again, I'm very sorry and wish there was something else I could have done at the time to make it up to them... Art
Maplewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This inn is in a nicely-decorated historic house with a friendly and very nice innkeeper. The rooms are comfortable and inviting and the atmosphere is relaxing. I live in Maplewood and needed a place for my elderly relatives to stay. The innkeeper could not have been nicer about meeting their needs - one had an issue with stairs in the bathroom and they were given another room. They said the breakfast was great and they wanted to extend their stay. I would definitely recommend this as a nice and unique place to stay. The grounds were lovely and it's only a half hour train ride to Manhattan. I hope my review encourages people to check out (or in to) this fine inn.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

This bed and breakfast is located in a residential neighborhood with many safe streets and sidewalks for walking and driving. The inn itself is charming, large old home with about 8 bedrooms for guests. The owner has lived there most of his life and operates the inn as a second business. It's a very casual place with few rules. The owner accepts cash only and doesn't require a deposit. Our room was located on the third floor (quite a hike) but was pretty and neatly decorated. I wouldn't say it was spotlessly clean, but it was satisfactory. Our only problem was that we ran out of hot water on our last morning, but it wasn't a huge inconvenience. I was able to get a wireless signal at the inn, but I'm not sure if I was using the inn's wireless or a neighbor's.
Breakfast consisted of waffles and sausage one morning, and omelettes or pancakes the next. Coffee, juice and tea were available in addition to pastries.
The Village of Maplewood is a 20 minute walk away (but I walk slow) and a lovely place to spend the afternoon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

We first stayed at Les Saisons over a decade ago because I was attending a conference in Newark and the local hotels weren't much to write home about then. My wife and I have been back many times since because the Inn is an addicting experience. First there's the Innkeeper, Art Christianson, who is charming and helpfull and very knowledgable about Newark and New York City. Then there's the Inn itself, a charming mini-mansion where Art grew up. It's beautifully decorated in "Second Empire French Victorian." a style that is memorable indeed. The rooms are large and comfortable. The lot is huge and beautifully landscaped. There is plenty of free parking.

Then there is Maplewood, a suburb of Newark, which is filled with lovely old early 1900s homes. The downtown is small, charming and full of good places to eat. The train from the downtown station will land you in the heart of Manhatten in about a half hour. Newark Airport is an easy 20 minute trip on the adjacent US 78.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
North Reading, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed here for one night; I had a function in Maplewood and needed a place to stay. It was awesome. The owner grew up in the house and converted it to a B and B. Breakfast was great...very good cook and very friendly and low key. If you on your way to it from the Garden State Parkway don't despair by the city you need to travel through. It is very brief and all of a sudden you are in a charming hamlet of Maplewood.

There are 6 rooms; all large and very comfortable. You are very close (about 1.5 miles) to the train station that will take you into NYC in about 30 min.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Les Saisons? Share your experiences!