“Better Than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Maple Shade
Douglas, Georgia
“Better Than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

When we pulled up to the motel I was honestly dreading what was inside. The outside looked old and run down. It appeared to be not well maintained. When I stepped inside I was very surprised. The carpet looked new, the room was very clean and the bathroom was a delight. The bathroom had new fixtures.. new tub, new shower, new toilet. The bathtub itself was great! it was HUGE. Beds was comfy, too. The only bad thing was when I spilled something on the bed, and got clean sheets I noticed I big rust colored area near the head on the mattress . That concerned me a bit b/c I had no idea what it was. So I decided to turn the mattress over and guess what?.... I FOUND MONEY UNDER THE MATTRESS. So that was a plus. The traffic outside was a bit noisy but the hotel is located on a busy street. There is a Popeyes next door and a Burger King across the street. The wifi was not that great, but we got it free so no real complaints there. Overall its a good place to stay if you are on a budget. Just make sure you lock your doors and your car.

Room Tip: rooms on the end are somewhat quieter than the front of the hotel, but the wifi is not so great
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here a few months ago and opted to to stay again. First, I checked in around 2am & the guy checking me in was so long winded it irritated me! I just drove in from Minnesota and all I wanted to do was take a shower & sleep! After the 20 minute check in process, I got to my room to find that there weren't any towels and the fan in the bathroom was obnoxiously loud. I was moved to another room but when I went to get the key for the new room, the clerk wanted me to fill out a survey about what was wrong in the room. I got to the 2nd room and it smelled of marijuana, upon further inspection, the bathroom didn't look to be clean at all. I went back to the lobby and requested a refund. The clerk, again, wanted me to fill out a survey of what was wrong with the room and again, insisted on talking and prolonging my check out. He didn't offer any form of compensation and quite frankly, acted as though he was the owner but you could tell he was full of himself. I received an online survey and filled it out, the following day I got a "stock response"e-mail, ....we're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay...we hope to see you again in the future. I would have to say in the few months since my last visit to the Philly area, this property has become a dive!! I don't think I'll be back!!

• Stayed September 2011
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

a house of horrors. no working telephone,no clock or remote control for the old type tv. stains on the floor and curtains, as well as being wet(carpet) asked for a tooth brush,no such luck. and mind you this was the second room that they gave me. the 1st had no air cond. and reeked of marijuana. no surprise there,as the elements and guests were of the seedy drug user/dealer type. i checked out after about an hour,and the manager9behind the bullet proof glass,real classy) gave me a hard time for requesting a credit,and asking me a bunch of questions,as well as making me fill out a questionaire regarding my complaints. what nerve! and now i just received my credit card statement,and lo and behold,the charges are back on again.
seedy and a scam too.

Room Tip: check out the rooms and elements before you check in.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Probably wouldn't want to take an extended family vacation here, but it's great for a quick trip to Philadelphia if you're on a budget and just want a bed and a roof over your head. I don't think you'll find a better rate in town.

Non-smoking room still had an ashtray and a bit of a smokey smell, room was clean but it is obviously an older motel. Ice machines weren't working when I stayed. Rooms did not have fridges or microwaves, fyi. Hotel was quiet at night.

Staff was super friendly, easy drive into Philly to park and go sightseeing!

Room Tip: No frills here, but a great rate!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

This hotel is the cheapest in the area and is a 10 minute drive from Woodcrest PATCO Station (effectively unlimited free parking), from where (for $6 return) you can take a train into the very centre of Philadelphia.

If this is all you can afford and have a car it's perfect for seeing Philadelphia. It's a Motel 6 so its a bit run down and (you can tell by the sign) not a Hilton or a Marriot. The area is not "dodgy" or "scary" - its on a strip mall and there are people around. Most of them aren't the bogeyman.

Ignore the reviews of the precious people below and the people who tell you to stump up the extra $50 a night and stay in Philadelphia, unless you're precious yourself or you can afford the extra cash, in which case why are you reading the review of a Motel 6 15 miles away?

Stay here if its all you can afford and you can see Philadelphia no worries.

Oh, and could one of you write to your Congressman or whatever you call them about being made to pay for wi-fi? What is this the 1930s?

Room Tip: Take the room you get given? You could ask for one where you can see the size of the line at Popeyes...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Elmira, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

The hotel was nice, nothing to write home about but it was very clean. The staff were curteous and helpful and overall we had a good time on our trip. The maids kept the rooms clean and most importantly there were no bugs. The down side was that the pool was closed (which was not a huge deal as we didn't choose this hotel based on that feature but it could be a problem for others) and the ice machine was broken and the days we stayed were very hot and cold drinks were a necessity. Also a major issue was that the hotel address was not found through the GPS which caused some initial problems in locating it so map out the trip before relying solely on technology.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
East Freetown, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I stayed in a non-smoking room, but it still REEKED of cigarettes. There were stains all over the curtains and there was some kind of substance on the chair. It looked like gum. I didn't feel particularly safe and I blocked the door with my belongings. There was no ice or vending machine near my room, which meant I'd have to walk back across the sketchy parking and around to another building to get something, which I didn't. The shower was the worst thing, for me. It's a stall shower, which is fine but there were no shelves, so all of my stuff had to go on the floor. Then, because of the curtain, which was convex, all of the water kept getting out of the shower. Therefore, when I got out of the shower, there was a pond in the bathroom. A minor point: the tv was crappy! There were only about 5 channels but I couldn't figure out which channel was what because they had no channel guide. There was no binder that had information about how to get to places in the area or "things to do" in the area. I mean that's minor but I still would have liked to have it. For the cost, I wasn't expecting miracles, but the cigarette smell, alone, was enough to make it not worth the value.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Motel 6 Philadelphia - Mt Laurel? Share your experiences!