“Looks can be deceiving” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Maple Shade
Beaconsfield, Canada
“Looks can be deceiving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were two couples on the road from Virginia to Boston, Mass. Maple Shade is a little off the road but about at our half way timeing. The entrance area gives the impression of being a more upscale hotel, but getting to our rooms by the side entrance brings that impression down to earth.
We had booked non smoking rooms but getting to them was through a corridor that reeked of cigarettes. The rooms were clean but all the fixtures were quite dated and sadly in need of modernizing, as is the whole hotel. We paid $ 85.49 + tax which included a hot breakfast. The breakfast was the only thing we felt gave value to our stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chuck K, Manager at Quality Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
I am very sorry our hotel did not meet to your expectation but we value your opinion where improvements are needed Our company has recently been sold to new owners and I am very happy to say we completed the first phase of our new renovations, and looks really nice.. Thanks for your comment on our breakfast buffet, we feel it is one of the best offered in South Jersey.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Pembroke Pines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

In it's heyday, this may have been the number one hotel in the area. Much of the hotel seems to be closed down. Things don't work, and I've been in one star hotel rooms that were cleaner. There was hair all over my bathroom and shower. Disgusting. Shower head was at chest level, and I'm short. Water faucet took forever to shut off. Safe didn't work.

Rooms either have a strange layout or our room was far from the front of the hotel. Breakfast was a long walk and convoluted, and not an appealing array of foods. I would give this two stars, really.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. I am so sorry you were disappointed on your stay. I am working very closely with the new ownership with all our major issues that have been addressed by our hotel quest. Cleanliness is my responsibility and have started new training programs for our housekeeping department. We really care about your stay and want all our guest to enjoy staying with us. Thanks for letting us know where improvement is needed.
Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I agree with earlier reviews that the entrance and lobby area made this hotel look decent, but that's where the story changes.

Mosts of the guests ( seemed only about 20% full when we stayed) were placed in he back building, which seemed also to be the oldest & dirtiest.

The place used to have a lounge and dining room, and they are still listed on the hotel information book, but they are long dead.the lounge was only used for breakfast . We only had coffee there but the breakfast looked ok.

The area was not too bad, having a mall and restaurants like Olive Garden and some steak houses within a mile or so.

Tv had plenty of channels and worked ok, even if was an old tv

Free Wifi was so-so, kept going away on us and we had to log on again.

Our section of the hotel had a permanent stench of old curry to it, which was not present in the "showcase" lobby area.

Room Tip: Stay away from building A, get a room closer to lobby area ( does not smell like curry there)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on your most recent stay at the Quality Inn. A new corporation has purchased the property and has started first phase of our renovations, and I am happy to say we have added all new flat screen TV's in all our rooms, 25 more accent points for our wifi to be stronger and faster. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. It provides us with the information needed to correct and improve the services we offer our guest. We hope to have the opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future and show how your remarks were used constructively.
Hampton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

If my job hadn't paid for the room for the night, I would've left immediately. At first glance, it's not all that bad, a little dated perhaps, but not bad. Then you leave the lobby and drive around to the back to get to your room. This place backs up on a self-storage place, and looks like a scene out of a bad horror movie. The room was disgusting to say the least. First impression walking in... No Smoking sign on the door, walk in and the room reeks of cigarette smoke. I start to toss my luggage onto the bed, and that's about the time I noticed the stains on the furniture. There were white stains all over one of the chairs in the room, and the nightstands(that's right, both of them.) There were what I'm assuming were cigarette burns (although, given the neighborhood could've been just about anything they were smoking) going through the comforter and the sheets down to the rubber mattress cover. And upon puling back the sheets, small curly dark hairs all over the bed. There was one desk chair in the room that seemed safe enough, and that is what I spent the night sleeping on. Given the opportunity to do it over, I would've slept in our rental car before I'd have spent another night in that room. This was my night in an "executive suite"... I'd hate to see what one of their cheaper rooms looked like.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your overall experience at our hotel. I personally apologize for your total disappointment and take your comments very seriously. Our hotel has been sold to new corporation and we have started the first phases of our new renovations. The back portion of the hotel will be targeted in the beginning of 2014. We both know this is not the standards for Choice Hotels and our new company has raised the bar to where we should be. I sincerely appreciate your feedback because it gave me how our hotel is viewed by our guest. We hope you will consider in the future of giving us another chance and show you how your remarks were used constructively.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

This was such a bad experience I have to warn you. This hotel is weird and has a creepy vibe inside and out. The lobby smells ok but that is where tolerable smell ends.

I didn't realize it until I saw other rooms with doors open for housekeeping that I had one of the best rooms. I liked some of the things about my room and I wish I could focus on those things but two major issues prevent that. Smell and inaccessiblility made me have to leave sooner than I wanted.

The moldy, musty smell was covered initially by an overwhelming smell of air freshened. It was horrible. I could see a lot of water damage on the ceiling. The must smell had permeated the rather nice bedding and comfortable pillows. By the time morning came I had a headace, aching throat and stuffy sinuses and ears.

Breakfast had potential in the selection but if the rooms smelled, the smell of the ancient and otherwise defunked restaurant and bar was super gross. I tried to eat a sausage on the buffet and it had a weird taste. Now I have pretty bad diarrhea and I am sure that Quality's breakfast is to blame.

There was no elevator access to me room. They said I would only have three steps or so up a spiral staircase try two small flights. I have spinal stenosis and one knee is empty after injury and subsequent surgery. My bags were heavy and they did not care.

This hotel is just so very weird and creepy. I expected to see uncle fester's body in the closet at any time.

If you come to this part of Jerey anytime soon you may get stuck here because we are overrun with FEMA's hurricane sandy crews and evacuees. Rooms are slim. Philly is seeming to have many more cheap rooms.

I had to flee to Hotel ML on highway 73. Quality Inn was walking distance to where I need to be but just one night's stay has me sick and I'm missing a day of work on my project.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to bring your stay to our attention. We totally understand how you felt the following morning. The last company had made roof repairs from major storm we had in our area. Since the new ownership has taken over, they addressed the moisture coming from the walls, tore them out and after rebuilding a new roof. In the second phase of renovating they are addressing new furniture and carpet on the back side of the property. All the hallway carpeting has been replaced as well as new furniture and carpeting in the first section of the hotel are done. Your input has given as information needed to correct many of these issues and I thank you. We hope to have the opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future and show how your remarks were used constructively.
State College, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were tired and didn't feel like driving around all night so we pulled in. This place is so dirty and dilapidated. There was a pack of cigarettes in the nightstand. About $2.00 worth of change in the other drawer. Long, black hairs all over the shower. Condom wrappers and food under the bed skirt. GROSS!Ceiling tiles in the hallway looked like water was going to burst out any second. WOW! I thought that being part of a conference center it would be okay. Wrong. We checked out and went down the street to a different hotel. I don't know what is so hard about keeping a room clean. If the hotel down the street can do it, why can't you? Never again! I wish there were 1/2 dots to use on the rating scale. A full dot is too generous!

Room Tip: Stay some place different.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our hotel in Maple Shade, New Jersey. We truly understand after traveling all day how you must have felt once you got to your room. In November a new corporation purchased our hotel and has started major renovations through the hotel. Myself, as the Manager, have started new training programs with our housekeeping staff to give higher standards to cleanliness. We truly appreciate your feedback on your stay and hope you will give us the opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future and show how your remarks have been used in a positive matter.
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This hotel is nightmare. It looks fine from the outside and pictures. The lobby is even nice. However, when you start walking down the hallways to your room the floor probably hasnt been vacumned in years. While the furniture was all new and you could smell fresh paint, they forgot the ceiling. the bathroom reeked of urine and we were all afraid to get a shower from the look of the tub. there was a half used bottle of shampoo on the tube. The breakfast was fine for a free breakfast. Had all the major things and plenty of room. There was an issue with other loud guests in another room and hallway but that was taken care of by the manager once we call. However, the cleanliness of this hotel is horrible.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Chuck K, Manager at Quality Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring your experience to us from our hotel. We were recently purchased by new ownership and have started major renovation program to bring our property to higher standards for our guest. All the rooms in the first phase of remodeling have been completed and in 2014 our plans are for second phase. It is always beneficial to us to hear from our guest on their experience with us. Again, Thank you for your comments.

Been to Quality Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!