“Nice hotel, good location, newer rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
New York City, New York
“Nice hotel, good location, newer rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've stayed here several times in the past 6 months. First, I think some of the rooms have been remodeled, updated, etc. Second, I usually request an interior room just to stay away from Rt. 17 or a parking lot. Most of the rooms have small terraces/patios which is nice -- and I think it's the only hotel in the area that does.

I usually arrive late and leave early, but even though it's simply a place to sleep -- it's nice. Very comfortable room, quality TV (although on my last stay the stations were coming in and out; perhaps a weather situation, I don't know), good size rooms, terrace/patio, and more of what you would expect from a quality hotel.

They have a swimming pool, breakfast deal and a bar, but I haven't tried any of them.

I did encounter a front desk employee who had a bit of a dismissive, non-cooperative attitude and way of being. She just didn't seem interested in really helping me, hear what I was saying, etc. I would not hold it against the hotel/management.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Jeaneane K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Mahwah, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our guests feeback is very important to our entire team. Thank you for noticing our newly renovated rooms and lobby. We are just thrilled to be able to provide our guests with some of the new features like our GoBoard and lobby Home Theater. I hope you have an opportunity to spend some time in our Bistro or relax in out pool on your next visit.

Thank you again for your review.
Jeaneane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Nice location and very helpful right from the start (almost). Asked for a tv channel guy and the gentleman behind the desk looked for a few mins and then dropped his hands and said he guessed they didn't have any more. Felt like he gave a minimal effort and could have offered to continue to look and bring to the room. Toilet leaked and thought we were going downhill. Mentioned it to front desk. They found me in the gym and brought a key for a new room. The housekeeper was so sweet and gave us extra towels and as much time as we needed to change rooms. Lovely staff at the bar in the evening and for breakfast in the morning. I am sure we will be back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have stayed at the Courtyard in the past (solo visit in a regular room) and knew it was a nice place, so I decided to give it a try for our yearly NY RenFaire visit. My wife uses a powered chair to get around, it usually makes staying in hotels problematic.

Check in, out and the "usual" stay metrics first: positively excellent. The staff we encountered were outstanding. Conditions were clean, fresh and well-kept. Sincerest kudos to the entire staff. Excellent.

From an "any visitor" viewpoint there were only two hiccups encountered for the stay.
1. the mini-fridge in the room didn't work. The front desk had it swapped out in LESS than ten minutes after being told about it.
2. the local TV channels were unavailable on the third night of our stay - possibly weather related satellite reception, it was cloudy/rainy that evening. The other channels worked fine, so locals were not a big deal.

HP accessibility notes for those of us who need these services:

We brought a shower chair and Hoyer lift, the hotel does NOT supply them.

Our room had a walk-in shower that actually is a wheelchair (shower chair) accessible shower. Fold-up bench chair, separate shower head and handheld shower units. Slight lip transitioning from room to bathroom and the door had an annoying habit of wanting to swing shut. The toilet is positioned such that I could maneuver the Hoyer to it. Overall, this was the BEST HP accessible bathroom I've seen in a hotel so far.

The room was big enough to handle the powered chair and a Hoyer lift. The bed itself is NOT open underneath so if you use a Hoyer and it can't swing 90 degrees left or right of the base (not a common ability) you can NOT use a Hoyer lift for the bed.

The bed itself was at a "normal" height instead of the overly-high usually seen in hotels - a pleasant find.

In short, this hotel's HP accessible room actually IS a HP accessible room and is the best I've seen in any hotel to date. Excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor! I am happy to hear that we left a lasting impression and were able to accomodate your specific HP needs as well as provide you and your wife with the excellent customer service you come to expect and deserve at a Marriott property. In addition I have taken your comments to heart regarding the shower chair and am happy to let you know that we now have the ability to offer our guests that item. In addition we are in the process of installing a pool lift to make access to all of our guests easier.
Once again, thank you for your great feedback. I look forward to meeting you on your next trip to our area.
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I'm only judging this hotel as a leisure visitor -- not a business person. Most of the time it is incredibly reasonable on the weekend, and it is always kept up nice, but I was there this past weekend and was really impressed that everything seemed brand new...from the lobby and carpeting throughout the hotel to the room itself. Plus it's nice to have the balcony, which none of the many surrounding hotels offer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is obviously newly renovated. The staff have all been very helpful. There have been a couple of very small things the cleaning crew has forgotten to do, but nothing major at all. The rooms are very comfortable and the atmosphere is very family friendly. It is a great price for the quality! I would stay here again with no regrets.

• Stayed August 2012
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here on our way to a dance competition with several adults and several children. It definitely suited our needs. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Hotel staff were courteous and polite yet efficient. The grounds were lovely with a nice garden and some outside seating. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I travel on business and stay at this hotel just about every week. They treat me like family. I have accidentally left shirts in my suite only to receive a phone call from the GM letting me know that they have my shirt and will hold it until my next arrival. The renovation is fantastic, the staff calls you by name. They have a family of ducks that stay in the Courtyard seasonally and they even let my daughter feed them when she joined me for a recent stay. As a Platinum Member with Marriott - I travel a lot and have a lot of options. I always choose the Courtyard when in the Mahwah area. The quality of the resort, staff and nearby restaurants makes that decision easy. Thanks for all of the great service. Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Mahwah? Share your experiences!