“Just Okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Cocoa Beach, Florida
“Just Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

When I arrived at check-in, the teenager at the front desk told me the room I requested (high floor) was ready and handed me my room keys.
When I got to my room, I didn't need the keys because the door was open. The cleaning staff was still getting the room ready.
The front desk girl made some calls via walkie-talkie and rebooked me into a floor on the 2nd floor.
All was good until I tried going to sleep to the sound of people stomping on the floor above and seemingly pacing around their room.
Either the people above were very overweight or the floors are flimsy and not up to hotel standard.
I was exhausted so I stayed in the room but when I advised the new front desk person that the people above were noisy, she gave a courtesy smile and said "sorry."
How about some Hilton points since I am a Hilton Honors member or some other acknowledgement to make things right?
I could have held them to their "satisfaction" pledge after all!
Not a do over.

Room Tip: Don't take a second floor room unless you have to.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HISMAHWAH, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites - Mahwah, NJ. We always appreciate hearing from our guests and do our best to provide top notch customer service. I understand that the noise of guests walking around in the room above yours was an issue during your time with us. Please accept our apology for this disruption as we know how important a good night’s rest is while traveling. I do hope the next time you return to area you will consider staying with us again so that we may provide the quality service and stay you expect and deserve.

Best Regards,
Jennifer Nicholas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Port Henry, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I did some looking before my trip, I found that this Hampton Inn was rated number 1 in the area,and boy were the reviews right.The hotel was very clean, staff were very nice, and the pool was great. My room was super clean, and I had a room that looked at the parking lot, I turned on the fan on the a/c unit to stop any nose I could hear. I will stay here every time I make a trip south. It is so easy to get to, exit 66 off of I287, lots of places to eat also around the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms would be good
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
West Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was just about to put Hampton Inns on my "do not stay" list, but this property completely changed that. Check-in was great, lobby is very nice, and there is plenty of well-lit parking. I had asked for a quiet room, and I got one. Room was spacious, clean & comfortable. Plenty of electrical outlets and good lighting. Modern bathroom facilities with a nice shower.

My favorite feature was the Constant Fan button on the AC unit (see picture). I pushed this at night to drown out the little bit of ambient noise from the hallway and outside. Slept like a baby, which my ultimate desire at night. I will return again.

I checked other hotels in the area, and the rates were competitive.

Room Tip: Quiet room are in the back, on the top floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We needed this room only for one night, I only wish we could have stayed longer. We stayed in the King suite, and everything was perfect. I would recommend this hotel to families as well as business travelers. The morning breakfast was great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
nyc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed the night of Sept 2nd over Labor Day weekend. They must have given the regular staff off because when we arrived Sunday night about 7pm, it looked like the front desk clerk was a high school girl. I asked her if she needed my Hilton card (I'm a gold honors member) and she said no. I asked her if it was a nice room, she just smiled at me, handed me the key card and said if I didn't like my stay I wouldn't have to pay. That didn't bode well for the rest of our stay.

On the way up to the room I grabbed a cup of decaf coffee from the self-serve bar. There were no lids so I could only fill it halfway. When I got upstairs I found it was tepid at best and spilled it out. The room itself (which was miles from the elevator) was a new style (to me) with a desk splitting the middle and a sofabed on 1 side and a king bed on the other. The sink that went with the bathroom was outside the toilet/bath. I'm saying this because when my son went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, he turned on the light and woke us all up.

And then the other dilemma. The a/c controls were next to the sofabed. We had our child with us and I don't know if they actually expect anyone to use the sofabed but I couldn't have the a/c blowing on our son all night. He was cold. Unfortunately, on the opposite side of the room my husband and I were hot.

Yes, I know we could have put our son on the king bed and stuffed my husband and me on the sofabed to enjoy the cool air. Not!!! In addition, the bed was hard as a rock. And my husband kept rolling to the middle. It wasn't a pleasant night, I didn't sleep well at all. It must have been an old room the girl put us in. So much for being an honors member. Oh, I did get a package of oreos and a small bottle of water for that.

The next day, at least I was looking forward to a good breakfast. Hampton is very good for breakfast. Again, it was our luck, perhaps, that it was an off morning. The scrambled eggs must have been powdered or something, the texture was weird. The sausage was overdone, dried up, and tasted funny. There was no fresh fruit or yogurt which they usually have. They did have the waffle machines but it was such a mess!! Nobody had bothered to clean up any of the spills from who knows how long. The table we had to wipe off ourselves. The garbage was overflowing (mostly plates of eggs, it looked like) and there were still no lids for the hot drinks!

The only appetizing thing was the oatmeal, and even for that I scraped the very bottom of the pot. But it was the only thing left to try other than plain toast. And just to note, as I was finishing my oatmeal a man finally showed up to change the garbage bag. At that moment, my son accidentally knocked over my coffee that had no lid and the cup and contents went flying. The man did nothing. I had to go and bang on the staff door to ask them to clean it up. At least they came out within a couple of minutes.

The best that can be said was that my husband and son enjoyed the pool, even though it did seem smaller than usual. And my husband did enjoy the fitness room. I wasn't happy. I didn't know that Hampton still had the policy of refunding your stay. I should have asked them. I would like a different night of their usual good service. I think this couldn't have been their regular staff. They must have been fill-ins for the weekend. I would say a weekend would be when regular staff would work. But maybe this was more a business center than a family hotel. I certainly wouldn't book it again.

Room Tip: ask if it's a new room with a new mattress
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HISMAHWAH, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites hotel in Mahwah, NJ. It saddens me to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. As a team we try our best to meet and exceed all of our guests’ expectations. Should you return to the Hampton Inn & Suites in Mahwah, NJ I would recommend a different room type selection of either a standard two queen room or two queen suite. Either of those room types would allow your son to sleep in a bed as opposed to a sofa bed and would keep him away from the air conditioning unit. I am glad to hear that your husband and son enjoyed the swimming pool and fitness center. It is very unfortunate to hear that your expectations were not met by Hampton’s free hot breakfast. If you would like to further discuss any area you feel we could improve upon I would be more than happy to listen and take note. Thank you again for your review of the Hampton Inn & Suites in Mahwah, NJ.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I found this hotel and booked it based upon the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed Friday night (8/24/12) in the Mahwah Hampton Inn – and it was top notch - as reflected in the Trip Advisor reviews. We did not go to the pool – but the rest of the hotel’s accommodations were very nice. We particularly enjoyed sitting in the lounge/breakfast area and watching football on the big screen TV over the fireplace before retiring to our room for the evening. The entire hotel had a nice feel and ambiance to it (especially for a Hampton Inn).

Our 3rd floor room (top floor) was very clean and bright – and the room overlooked the side parking lot – so not too noisy from Route 17 traffic. Even though there was at least one bus tour in the hotel – I did not hear any noise from the other guests. The bathroom was nice as expected – and I really do like the curved shower curtains which provide you with extra room while taking a shower. The free wireless worked fine from our room on my smartphone and the free breakfast buffet (including waffles) was very good.

The hotel staff was very friendly and efficient – and Jarek was very helpful with dinner suggestions (including directions). They had a detailed list of restaurants – including guest favorites. Upon check-out – Michael (assistant manager) was also very helpful with directions back to I-287. I would highly recommend this hotel for those traveling in this area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here while on a 3 day shopping trip with my wife and sister. We stayed in a double queen room (would have preferred double king but they do not exist at this hotel). The room was very clean and comfortable, with plenty of space for all of us and our possessions. The staff was exceptionally friendly and really made this stay a winner for us. They seem to truly value the comfort and well-being of their guests, and if this review was based solely on them it would receive a 5/5.

Location-wise, it was perfect for us - allowing easy access to the Woodbury premium outlets, a bunch of malls, a Microcenter, Whole Foods, Olive Garden (wife insisted on eating there, although the nearby Macaroni Grill exceeded it in every way), and also a bit of local driving and touring.

One knock against this hotel was the pool. The water seemed like it could have been cleaner, and the showers by the poolside were not working. This combined with the lack of double king rooms merits a 4/5, although if neither of these points bothers you then this hotel represents a great value for shopping tourists.

One last note - free breakfast at their hot/cold buffet was included each morning. We skipped the first morning to check out a local IHOP, but we ate at the hotel the next 2 mornings. The hot food selection changed (nice for extended stays) while the rest stayed more or less the same, which was fresh and plentiful (fruit, yogurt, waffles, juice, coffee, danishes, etc). Definitely ranked for me as a suitable start to a long shopping day.

Overall, would stay here again on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah? Share your experiences!