“Good food, nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
New Jersey
“Good food, nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The food was very good. Our waiter was attentive. The lamb chop was great and the pasta dish was very good. The hostest was mostly attentive to one or two guest tables and did not at ours or others to see if the other guests were happy.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New Jersey, U.S.A.
“Check arrived before desert!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Uncomfortable dining experience.... We had a six o'clock reservation for four people on a Tuesday evening. We were on time and were seated at six or perhaps a minute or two later. It was early so the restaurant was only about 25% full (or less) at the time. We were seated in the back at a table next to the door to the ladies room. The waiter arrived promptly to take our order. Not everyone had decided so I suggested that we order our appetizers and complete our order in a minute or two. The waiter informed us that that wasn't possible and that he had to submit the entire order at one time. I thought that odd at the time but went with the flow. The waiter stayed at the table until we completed our order.
After dinner we ordered dessert and cappuccino. The waiter dropped off the check without a word before either the the desserts or the coffees had arrived. Another employee came by to ask if there would be anything else, again before we had received the coffee or dessert.
When we were in the middle of dessert a busboy came by and asked if we would like anything else wrapped up to go. At this point it was clear what was going on. As soon as I paid the check the host came over and asked how much longer we were going to be because he had someone else waiting for our table. One of our party was in the restroom and one was just finishing her cappuccino. I excused myself from the table and voiced my displeasure to the "host". He acted astonished that I was displeased and explained that this had nothing to do with serving more meals but was all about him trying to be considerate of those people who were waiting. I doubt that those people were waiting an hour prior when we were told we needed to order everything at once. On top of everything else he had now insulted my intelligence. On the way out of the door he gave me his card and suggested that the "next time" he would "take care of me" whatever that means. How ridiculous to think that there would ever be a next time.
It was not yet 7:50PM.

Now I certainly was not expecting a "fine dining" experience at this place but I wasn't expecting this kind of treatment either.

If you're looking for average to good food with a arrogant and rude staff this is the place for you. If not there are dozens of area restaurants where you will do better.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
NJ
“Would give 6 stars if I could :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I have avoided this place because I heard of long wait times with a reservation (and there is no bar), and that the hostess was terse, but we went on a Tuesday with a reservation, and everything was excellent from ambiance to service to food. We split spaghetti with seafood (Spaghettini Pescatore) as a pasta course, I got a special-swordfish with arugala and diced tomatoes, and my friend got chicken and sausage. Would recommend all. It is BYO, and definately make a reservation - it was full even on a Tuesday evening.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, New Jersey
“Best Italian Food in the Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

My BF and I went early on a Friday night to celebrate my birthday. The food was fantastic and reminiscent of our recent trip to Italy.

Bread & Other pre-meal items: the bread, tomatoes, and fried zucchini - served before all elements of the meal was very tasty. One could easily taste the basil, sea salt, garlic and olive oil with the tomatoes. The very thinly sliced zucchini was enough to entice you for more.

Appetizers: I started with a portobello stuffed ravioli with a cream truffle sauce. AMAZING. My BF had the spinach and pear salad. His salad was good, but GO FOR THE RAVIOLI specials...

Main Course: I had a fantastic lamb ossobuco with a saffron risotto. The ossobuco was the best I have had in the US. The saffron risotto was very soft, and almost porridge like. I am more accustomed to my risotto being al dente. The dish was excellent. My BF had a chicken dish with a wine and mushroom sauce, I don't recall if it was called Chicken Marsala, but it was similar and very good.

Dessert: My BF had the Grand Mariner soaked orange & strawberries. It was good, but not the best dessert. We both loved the cannoli - although it wasn't called a cannoli on the menu. The raspberry flavored filling was not inside the tubes, it was around the tubes with fresh raspberries. It was a FANTASTIC dessert. LOVED IT.

Overall: Food is GREAT. It is BYO so the wine you bring can be excellent :-) Service was not what I expected given the price and quality of the food. Several times wait staff passed our table with out clearing or pouring wine. They also did not check on us as expected.

Regardless of the service we will be going back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chatham, New Jersey
“not too extravagant (expenses and food)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I and various friends in fr out of town have visited this wonderful and relaxed atmosphere restaurant since its very beginning. The food is consistently very very good , reasonably priced for the excellent food and generous portions. BYOB adds to savings.
The hostess Nancy has been there for years as well as have the owners. She could not be more accomodating and nice. Parking is easy on the street or off street with many free spots in various lots. Reservations advised even on a week night. We live just 4 miles away!!
The "scenery" is lovely old world with soft lighting, and attractive simple fruit, flowers, some appetizers on display...no need to look outdoors. Entres come with at least 2 vegs, fresh bread.
Two people can dine there for under $50 without appetizes, dessert, coffee.

• Visited May 2012