“Cute place~terrible food last night” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 51 restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Latin
Heredia, Costa Rica
“Cute place~terrible food last night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

We were excited to try David's last night. Really cute place and the line was out the door which we took to be a good sign. Good atmosphere, byob, and the service was friendly enough but seemed to be a little too busy for their own good. I had no chance of getting a napkin or really anything else when we needed it. But we understood that they were busy.

Unfortunately, the food itself was terrible. Good nachos to start but then my boyfriend had the Chicken Enchilada that was barely cooked. I ended up eating the rice that came with his meal because my own Shrimp Salad was so nasty; no real flavor and the lettuce looked like what I usually throw away before I make a salad! Pretty disappointing.

Maybe it was just an off night for them...but I don't think we'll be going back.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Friendly people, food starting to go downhill.............”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We have been to David's Rumba cafe two or three times over the past 18 months and overall experience has always been good and let me start by saying that we really like the people at the cafe and are rooting for them to continue to be successful - we like having lots of choice in town. That being said, maybe it was because it was a Monday night but the food was simply poor. I am hoping that the chef simply had a bad night but everything was inadequate. I ordered Tortilla soup and had to ask the waiter if he mistakenly brought me Chicken noodle soup - it neither looked or tasted anything like Tortilla soup. One of us ordered a chicken dish which had two small, flat pieces of very dry chicken and two of us ordered chicken fajitas both of which were terrible. Chicken comes cut into tiny thin strips in a soupy broth with overcooked onions - did not see any fresh peppers or any other vegetables. Tortillas came out very stale. Only thing really edible was the chips and salsa which took a long time to arrive.
David and his staff are friendly but seems they may have gotten somewhat lazy and they are skimping on the meat and there is a clear lack of fresh vegetables. Everything seemed pre-cooked. Not good.
David - I know you have your own take on Mexican food but classics like tortilla soup and fajitas are basics/classics - should be easy to make. Sorry - on this night there was no sizzle.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Morristown, New Jersey
“Better than anywhere in Morristown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I went to Rumba Cafe last night with my boyfriend. The food and service were both good. We had a burrito and fajitas, everything tasted very fresh. It's also a BYOB, which is always a plus!

Visited July 2011
“Madison's Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011 via mobile

Since the first time i have been there, David's never fails to deliver. Great atmosphere, the best food in town, and service that makes you feel like you're part of the family business. If you haven't been, you should try it. In a town where there is little variety, so this latin american gem is priceless. BYOB.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chatham, NJ
“great, fresh food - like Mexican only better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

The food was very good and the service was good too. The food was fresh, and was like the 'old fashioned ' Mexican food I used to get on the West Coast in the 70's. It's not heavily spiced because it doesn't need to be, everything is fresh. The beans are cooked on site, no cans here. The rice and chips are cooked from scratch too. It was a BYOB, which we prefer because wine is what we normally drink when out, and we can always bring a better bottle than what we can buy at a restaurant for the same price. The atmosphere is pleasant and the restaurant is clean and very cutely decorated. We'll be going back soon and taking friends with us.

• Visited June 2011