“HIDDEN FEES” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1 Ocean Blvd, Long Branch, NJ 07740   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Long Branch
“HIDDEN FEES”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Let me first start off by saying that I was extremely excited to stay at a place so close to the beach. And that is a good aspect of the hotel- probably the only hotel. And I call it a hotel because it is exactly that. It is absolutely not a resort.
I stayed there because the wedding reception my friend and I attended was there which was nothing special. The room itself was terrible. The handles were broken on the cabinets and the beds were uncomfortable, supplemented with an awkward 3 pillows. The sheets were terrible and the comforter felt like cardboard. The only reason I got any sleep was because I was a bit intoxicated.
But I haven't got to the worst of it. The hidden fees. $12 few for wifi which was never used, an unheard of facility and occupancy "tax" and THEN -- this is the kicker-- they TAXED OUR TAXES. Ended up paying $65 extra for a room that had a supposed "group flat rate".
I caution you to not stay here. I know that Lon branch does not have many options in terms of hotels but ocean place knows the same thing. And they will milk you for it.
Almost forgot, they didn't even answer the phone at the main desk at 8am when I let it ring for about two minutes before that too frustrated me.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our stay was luxurious, starting with welcoming, attentive stafff. The gorgeous beach front, indoor and outdoor pools, top notch spa and delicious state of the art dining completed the picture. Friendly guests made us feel part of a community. The room was spacious and comfortable with an ocean view balcony. The grounds were planted with gorgeous flowers and palm trees, creating the illusion of a tropical paradise. There was even a Tiki Bar. Shops and restaurants at Pier Village were nearby on the boardwalk. The big surprise came after checkout. The hotel offers guests free use of the facilities, incuding high quality locker rooms, making it possible for us to spend the entire day enjoying the beach and pools. This was an unbelievable, unexpected bonus. We left wanting to come back soon and have already made our reservations.

Room Tip: Corner rooms give privacy on the balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Millburn, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was by FAR the best family vacation we ever had on the Jersey Shore! LOVED Ocean Place! The staff was courteous and helpful -- they even upgraded us to an OCEAN VIEW room because it was a slow Monday! Thanks! The morning buffet is really delicious with everything you can think of to choose from! The rooms were clean and well priced, considering all you get! TWO things that could use improving: 1. very slow food service at pool and on ocean. 2. We were thrilled to get our oceanfront upgrade, however, we were glad we didn't pay extra for it. The view was incredible, but the TIKI BAR was very loud. I really wanted to fall asleep to the ocean waves, but had to shut the slider because the music from the TIKI BAR was so loud. LOWER the MUSIC GUYS! Aside from that, we had a great stay and enjoyed the many amenities the hotel has to offer! REALLY REALLY loved being so close to Pier Village where we dined nightly and enjoyed the cool breezes and boardwalk views!

Room Tip: Ask for the side AWAY from the TIKI BAR if you have kids or go to sleep before midnight. Don't...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

This was our first and last time at this deplapidated, run down, dirty excuse for a hotel. The check in was not until 4 and then we still had to wait. The front staff were miserable and unfriendly, not at all what we experience in our other travels. We decided to say here because we were visiting the near by university with our daughter and thought it would be a nice overnight! Boy were we wrong. The place except for the entrance was filthy!!!! The rooms were dirty, peeling paint and the entire room looked like it had not been renovated since the first day it opened. The beds if you could call them that I think we're made of straw, the floor would have been more comfortable. The bathroom was atrocious, dirty! The outside leading to the beach had chairs and lounges that you could sit out on but you were surrounded by dirty empty drink glasses, beer bottles, cigareete butts that combed the grass and sand areas surrounding the sitting area!!! Not once did we see anyone attempt to clean any of the areas up.all I can say is what a disgusting place to stay. This place is right on the beach and to call it a resort is laughable. My bad for not checking trip advisor before the visit! Do not stay here it is disgusting!!

Stayed August 2013
OceanPlace, Manager at Ocean Place Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. As you can see from a number of reviews above and below yours, this is not the typical experience of guests at our resort. Please contact us directly so we may address your concerns and provide us an opportunity to regain your trust.
Teaneck, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was our third stay. The hotel is slowly being renovated. We stayed in an older room and it was exactly the same as it was 3 years ago and 7 years ago. It was very expensive for the level of luxury in the room but staying in a renovated room would have cost even more. The hotel was fully booked so I guess enough people are willing to pay that much! The room was clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful.

A couple of other things, WiFi signal strength was good but the connection was super slow on our laptop and ipod.

There is some confusion as to whether or not the beach is for hotel guests only. The front desk says it is but tons of people walk in off the street and settle down in front of the rows of hotel lounge chairs and umbrellas. The front desk tells you that you should tell the beach staff to shoo them away, but the beach staff says there's nothing they can do. Even more frustrating when you are up early to get the perfect spot for your chairs!

Still, overall a great option for oceanfront on the Jersey Shore!

Room Tip: Oceanfront is worth the extra money, Higher floors will avoid most of the loud music from the Tiki b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was our 7th year to Ocean Place Resort. The place needed a long over due make over. We stayed in a suite on the 12th floor. The decor is totally amazing and gorgeous. They out did themselves. The bathroom is completely updated. The beds are comfortable. The towels plush.New working coffee machines. New terrace sliding doors.The staff is friendly. Housekeeping was very accommodating. We are already planning next years sister's weekend and we just got home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Lafayette, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My sisters and my mom decided to spend a few days together at the "Jersey Shore" since my mom had spent her summers as a child in Spring Lake. We were not sure if she would be able to spend the time on the beach with us, since she is in her late 80's. So we had to find a place that was close enough for her to walk to the beach and still feel as if she wanted to leave the beach, she would have somewhere pleasant to sit and read.This is the hotel for this! Although she did stick it out with us, there are plently of nice areas looking over the boardwwalk and beach. This hotel supplies you with beach chairs, towel and unbrellas for the day, and sets these up for you. Since the umbrella were set up, my mom was able to spend the time on the beach with us in the shade.How nice it was to not lug anything with us to the beach! I had to pinch myself, that we were at the Jersey Shore! Their service for drinks and food on the beach priceless. Which brings me to compliment a staff member that impressed me, with his over and above service, I am a small business owner and if I had this kid with his work ethics and personality, I would NEVER let him leave my employment! Bravo Lewmond...you deserve a raise!
The rooms were great. The balconies gave us such nice views of the full moom on the beach and the sunrises. The staff was helpful and cheerful.
Thank you Ocean Place for making this mini mid week vacation one we will forever remember. I hope that we will be able to come back again next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Place Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!