“Great location, decent service but noise problems” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Daddy O Hotel and Restaurant

Save Saved
You added Daddy O Hotel and Restaurant to your Saves list
Daddy O Hotel and Restaurant
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4401 Long Beach Blvd, Brany Beach, Long Beach Township, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
San Francisco, California
“Great location, decent service but noise problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a review for the hotel. The hotel is super modern and nice, and very walkable to the beach. We came there during the off season on a weeknight through a deal from Jetsetter. The front desk lady, Heather, was professional and sweet, and without me asking for it she upgraded me to a queen suite. I asked what the differences with rooms are and she explained without hesitation. I read some previous dissatisfied reviews on Trip Advisor so I was a little concerned. She said I wasn't near the laundry or elevators. She also said that we could request a later check out, and to check back tomorrow when the manager is there.

We had to call back in the room and ask about the internet wifi password and parking pass (parking is free) which I think we should of been told at check in so although she's a sweetheart, with a boutique hotel you expect them to be more proactive. The wifi is very weak in my room so I had to tether my phone. There was fresh fruit out, though, which is a nice touch. The hotel, room and bathrooms are all very clean.

The room itself is gorgeous. It is spacey with a sitting area, queen sized bed and a sizable bathroom. Like the rest of the hotel, it's modern contemporary with a hint of vintage beach art. The elevator is cool looking but not for the claustrophobic. The stairway is actually carpeted and decorated. We loved the room. The tv seems disproportionately small compared to the rest of the room though, and not super viewable from bed, but we don't watch much tv.

Now my biggest complaint is something they can't do much about, the noise. Our room, 215, is right next to Long Beach Blvd, so starting around 6:30am you hear traffic through the rest of the day. I would recommend they double pane the windows to avoid this but it did wake me. The other noise issue is that we heard furniture being moved around at 11pm and probably again around 7am/8am (not sure), so that was disturbing. Also, the walls to the bathroom are thin so you should be comfortable with who you're staying with. You could hear noise from anyone in the hall which isn't a major issue when only one other couple is staying in the hotel. If there is music below you you'll hear that too. So for this hotel keep in mind unless you're a heavy sleeper, you may have noise issues.

Room Tip: Get a south side room farther from the boulevard.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was very disappointed with our room, and of course there were no other rooms available.
I knew in advance from the room description that the room we would have would NOT have a view. "No view" means that when you look out the window, there is not a scenic vista in front of you. My expectation was that we would not be looking out on the ocean or the bay or something pretty and instead would be facing a parking lot or some other building which would have been perfectly acceptable.

My expectation WAS NOT that we would not even be able to look out the window at all! We essentially stayed in a room with no window which was very claustrophobic and weird. Room 205 has two small windows both of which are covered on the outside by large shutters with just about 3 inches of light coming in on the bottom third of the window. The room was dark and depressing in the day time (even though it was August) which made us uncomfortable. Through the 3 inches of space on the sides, we could see the rooftop which was covered with pipes and ducts. Looking onto that without the shutters would have been much more preferable to not having any light in our room at all. And of course we couldn't open the windows either.

In short, we were misled by the room description. Something in the description like "severely obstructed window view" would be a much more appropriate way of describing the actual situation in room 205 not "no view." Additionally, the scented cleaning products they use in the rooms are very strong and left a permanent, lingering cinnamon scent that made me nauseous. I sent an email to the manager following our stay TWICE and never received a response which is also unacceptable. Given the premium pricing of this hotel and the actual quality of the rooms and the service, we will opt next time for a simple, beach motel. This place is a rip-off and clearly the management doesn't care about repeat business.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 205 as it essentially is windowless.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at Daddy O the second weekend it had reopened after Hurricane Sandy.
There were some 'bugs' that they were still trying to fix, but the staff could not have been nicer.
Our room was very nice and the bathroom was large and modern.
We were in Long Beach Island for a wedding, so we did not have the opportunity to try out the bar...but when I peeked in, it was very busy and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for wedding. Would avoid second floor. When the washing machine spins the entire room shakes violently. This went on all day. So could not rest whatsoever. Place isn't cheap so I would expect more.

After third time I knocked on housekeeping service door and housekeeping manager lectured me saying the only reason I was complaining was because she was Spanish and not from the country. She also went on a tirade about me being so young (I'm nearly 40 btw with kids). Most ridiculous display of service I've ever experienced.

Hotel is nice and maybe on for drinks or dinner but never stay here. In fact the holiday inn not too far away is a much better value with a nicer staff.

• Stayed August 2013
petepalladino, General Manager at Daddy O Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I was personally involved with this guests issue and, after viewing security camera footage, determined that he burst into our housekeeping office and started to curse and yell at the girls working there at the time. We are obviously in the hospitality industry but we do expect a certain level of maturity and class from our guests. We have a wonderful staff here and are very proud of the job they do. Being someone’s punching bag is just not in their job description.

Pete Palladino
new jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel and restaurant are very nicely decorated. The Bar staff was very good. With that said we where surprised the food was so bad which in turn ruined our night. The menu selection is horrible and expensive for such poor quality. We spent the night at the bar talking to other patrons complaining about the food. We have eaten here every summer about 5 times a year and until this year we where always happy. They took there vegan selections off the menu. We complained to the staff about the menu and they said the Chef is horrible and he came up with the losey menu. I will not return to Daddy o's as long has this chef and menu remain.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Very clean and well presented front desk and rooms. Think hamptons/Miami vibe but at a cost. My pregnant wife and I just stayed and if you are looking for a relaxing place especially if you have kids forget it. Music and noise till 10-11 pm from restaurant and up stairs bar. Room was small but the staff was great and very accommodating. Also a lot of attractions are in beach haven about 10-15 minute ride ie buckalloo, chicken or egg, amusement park, show place ice cream parlor etc...

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Good location near the beach. Rooms are clean and basic... Happening bar on the roof. Bar off the lobby serves excellent burgers, wings and other bar food. Rooms pricy for what it is, but the nicest available in LBI

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Daddy O Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!