“Very Nice Last-Minute Choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Surf City Hotel

Surf City Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Long Beach Township
Surf City Hotel
You added Surf City Hotel to your Saves list
8th St. and Long Beach Blvd., Long Beach Township, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
White Plains, NY
“Very Nice Last-Minute Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My wife and I decided the two nights before to spend a weekend on Long Beach Island. I couldn't find an available room on the internet, so I called the Chamber of Commerce for LBI. A nice lady said call the chamber back Friday about noon -- they call all the lodgings and find out what's available. So I did so and the only rooms at less than very expensive rates were at the Surf City Hotel. So I called the Hotel. I only got recordings for every phone choice at the hotel, so I finally chose "Banquet Sales" hoping to get a live person at that extension. I did. At first she said they had no rooms. I said the Chamber said they did, and she then said, "Yes, we do, what are you looking for?" We got an exquisitely clean king-bed room -- I have travelled for 55 years and never had a cleaner room! It was priced in line with other LBI motel/hotel rooms. This is the first time we stayed at the Surf City Hotel, but have been to LBI many times. The pub in this hotel is known for fun adult music and times. The hotel is nicely located at the middle of the island. It's an easy, short half-block walk to the ocean beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
new york, ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This place was bad! Our rooms had an imprint of an iron on the carpet (not to mention the iron in the room is a 1970s version). The worst part was the feeling that the rooms were dirty and ill-maintained. I would never stay here again, and I would never recommend it to anyone. It is a few blocks from the beach and has a friendly desk person, but I would rather stay further away from the beach for the same price and enjoy the comforts of my surroundings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
North Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I wound up here because of a last minute girls' night with one of my college pals, who was passing through NJ and wanted to see me. I enjoyed every second of my stay, which included dinner at the restaurant and a nice walk on the beach. I will gladly come back again!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Yorktown Heights, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just returned from a two night weekend stay at the Surf City Hotel, 8/17, & 8/18
Although its not upscale by any means, it most certainly served our purpose for a relaxing weekend at the beach.
We stayed in room # 44, and thats a two bedroom with a large bathroom.
As we were a group of 6 adults, we brought with us a air mattress that fit nicely between the two bed rooms.
The staff were freindly, and Theresa the assistant manager was helpful and was quite accomodating.
John the afternnon bartender was great, and he certainly works very hard and manages to keep everyone happy during the happy hour.
I have been a long time Surf City LBI lover, and usally rent a house for a week or two, but this year we only managed a weekend.
I would return to the Surf City Hotel, its served our purpose and the stay was a pleasant one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Worst service I have ever experienced in my life. I never write reviews and felt the need to after our terrible experience there. I spent a week in LBI with family and friends, wining and dining at many places throughout the island, all of which were great. The surf city hotel was not only the worst service on the island but the worst/rudest service employees I have experienced in my life.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nyack, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were on LBI for a wedding and the only recommended hotel on the island was the Surf City Hotel. We had (I believe) rooms #6 and #8 which was a queen and a full connected by a bathroom. We were also able to barely squeeze in a cot - for a weekend in July this cost us $535 (I was under the assumption there'd be a wedding rate available but I am not convinced that this was included). Obviously rooms are at a premium on the island so they can get away with these kind of prices, but let me list the pros and cons so you have a better idea of what that kind of money will get you:

Cons:
- Terrible service: It was truly unbelievable how rude the woman behind the desk was when we checked in. Several customers had problems and she did nothing to help them but argue and roll her eyes. This included customers on the phone who were clearly asking for directions - she had no problem being rude to them in front of guests checking in. There was a younger gentleman behind the desk the next day, he was pleasant enough. This also applies to room service. Despite posted hours of room service being between 11-2, they tried to get into our room several times before 11 and when we left shortly thereafter, they decided that they had waited long enough and just dropped towels outside of our door and our room never got cleaned.
- While the bathroom was spacious with plenty of mirrors and a hair dryer, the shower was abnormally small. Small enough to make it impossible for an average sized person to bend over at all. The toilet also clogged very easily (as per the sign above the toilet) which they try to rectify with a paper dispenser that only gives out one square at a time, which is a nightmare every single time you use the bathroom.
- If you're on the 2nd floor, you will absolutely hear the Beach Club until 2am. Luckily the air conditioners muffle the sound a bit, but there's no escaping it.
- I didn't see an elevator anywhere - be prepared to carry all your luggage up narrow staircases.

Pros:
- One block from the beach: a wide beach with plenty of sand dollars for you to find!
- Large ice machine which is great for days at the beach or other activities
- Bar, restaurant and Beach Club downstairs. The bartenders were friendly but the Beach Club was nothing to be desired. We didn't eat at the restaurant but it seemed popular enough though there are plenty of other places to eat on the island.
- Attached liquor store
- Free beach tags (with $35 cash deposit)
- Comfortable mattresses and for the most part, a clean room. It's hard to say that with any fact though as the down comforters had no duvet covers, leading us to believe they never got washed
- Large dorm style refrigerator in one of the rooms
- Two ACs in every room (but no fans). The hallways were hot, but the rooms were a comfortable temperature. We only used the one window unit, but it was relatively cool I am sure there are times when it gets much hotter that both need to be working. I cannot even imagine the tempature on the 3rd floor.

We were also able to visit the cottage apartment during this time, as it's where the bride and groom slept. The rooms (including bathroom and shower) were comprable to ours, but there was a spacious living area with wicker furniture and a small kitchenette. I failed to notice if there was a stove but I did see a microwave and fridge.

I think it's clear I have no intention of staying at the Surf City Hotel again, despite fairly regular trips to the island. They could make some simple improvements to make this a more desired location (like attitude adjustments for one), but like many places that know they'll be booked solid for the summer, don't bother to care much for the customer experience. If you must stay here just enjoy your time on the beach and all the rest of the great things LBI has to offer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Brookfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked 2 rooms on the 2nd floor of the hotel which offers small but acceptable rooms with queen beds, wall A/C, tiny shower, dorm refrigerator. The desk staff was nice but didn't know much about the island. Very close to the beach where you can find sand dollars. We were in room 11 facing the street and heard some of the nightclub noise but our friends were in room 10 and it was extremely noisy until 2 am. There were some altercations heard & witnessed. Not good for families with small children. Nice breakfast across the street as no place to get coffee at hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is older with steep narrow stairway and no elevator so maybe the inn might be better. Defi...