“Nice weekend at the beach!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Surf City Hotel

Surf City Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Long Beach Township
Surf City Hotel
You added Surf City Hotel to your Saves list
8th St. and Long Beach Blvd., Long Beach Township, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
Yorktown Heights, New York
“Nice weekend at the beach!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just returned from a two night weekend stay at the Surf City Hotel, 8/17, & 8/18
Although its not upscale by any means, it most certainly served our purpose for a relaxing weekend at the beach.
We stayed in room # 44, and thats a two bedroom with a large bathroom.
As we were a group of 6 adults, we brought with us a air mattress that fit nicely between the two bed rooms.
The staff were freindly, and Theresa the assistant manager was helpful and was quite accomodating.
John the afternnon bartender was great, and he certainly works very hard and manages to keep everyone happy during the happy hour.
I have been a long time Surf City LBI lover, and usally rent a house for a week or two, but this year we only managed a weekend.
I would return to the Surf City Hotel, its served our purpose and the stay was a pleasant one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Worst service I have ever experienced in my life. I never write reviews and felt the need to after our terrible experience there. I spent a week in LBI with family and friends, wining and dining at many places throughout the island, all of which were great. The surf city hotel was not only the worst service on the island but the worst/rudest service employees I have experienced in my life.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nyack, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were on LBI for a wedding and the only recommended hotel on the island was the Surf City Hotel. We had (I believe) rooms #6 and #8 which was a queen and a full connected by a bathroom. We were also able to barely squeeze in a cot - for a weekend in July this cost us $535 (I was under the assumption there'd be a wedding rate available but I am not convinced that this was included). Obviously rooms are at a premium on the island so they can get away with these kind of prices, but let me list the pros and cons so you have a better idea of what that kind of money will get you:

Cons:
- Terrible service: It was truly unbelievable how rude the woman behind the desk was when we checked in. Several customers had problems and she did nothing to help them but argue and roll her eyes. This included customers on the phone who were clearly asking for directions - she had no problem being rude to them in front of guests checking in. There was a younger gentleman behind the desk the next day, he was pleasant enough. This also applies to room service. Despite posted hours of room service being between 11-2, they tried to get into our room several times before 11 and when we left shortly thereafter, they decided that they had waited long enough and just dropped towels outside of our door and our room never got cleaned.
- While the bathroom was spacious with plenty of mirrors and a hair dryer, the shower was abnormally small. Small enough to make it impossible for an average sized person to bend over at all. The toilet also clogged very easily (as per the sign above the toilet) which they try to rectify with a paper dispenser that only gives out one square at a time, which is a nightmare every single time you use the bathroom.
- If you're on the 2nd floor, you will absolutely hear the Beach Club until 2am. Luckily the air conditioners muffle the sound a bit, but there's no escaping it.
- I didn't see an elevator anywhere - be prepared to carry all your luggage up narrow staircases.

Pros:
- One block from the beach: a wide beach with plenty of sand dollars for you to find!
- Large ice machine which is great for days at the beach or other activities
- Bar, restaurant and Beach Club downstairs. The bartenders were friendly but the Beach Club was nothing to be desired. We didn't eat at the restaurant but it seemed popular enough though there are plenty of other places to eat on the island.
- Attached liquor store
- Free beach tags (with $35 cash deposit)
- Comfortable mattresses and for the most part, a clean room. It's hard to say that with any fact though as the down comforters had no duvet covers, leading us to believe they never got washed
- Large dorm style refrigerator in one of the rooms
- Two ACs in every room (but no fans). The hallways were hot, but the rooms were a comfortable temperature. We only used the one window unit, but it was relatively cool I am sure there are times when it gets much hotter that both need to be working. I cannot even imagine the tempature on the 3rd floor.

We were also able to visit the cottage apartment during this time, as it's where the bride and groom slept. The rooms (including bathroom and shower) were comprable to ours, but there was a spacious living area with wicker furniture and a small kitchenette. I failed to notice if there was a stove but I did see a microwave and fridge.

I think it's clear I have no intention of staying at the Surf City Hotel again, despite fairly regular trips to the island. They could make some simple improvements to make this a more desired location (like attitude adjustments for one), but like many places that know they'll be booked solid for the summer, don't bother to care much for the customer experience. If you must stay here just enjoy your time on the beach and all the rest of the great things LBI has to offer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Brookfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked 2 rooms on the 2nd floor of the hotel which offers small but acceptable rooms with queen beds, wall A/C, tiny shower, dorm refrigerator. The desk staff was nice but didn't know much about the island. Very close to the beach where you can find sand dollars. We were in room 11 facing the street and heard some of the nightclub noise but our friends were in room 10 and it was extremely noisy until 2 am. There were some altercations heard & witnessed. Not good for families with small children. Nice breakfast across the street as no place to get coffee at hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is older with steep narrow stairway and no elevator so maybe the inn might be better. Defi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bernardsville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I always spend long weekends at this place with my boyfriend and we love it. It is only one block from the beach, has a clam bar, nightclub ($10 cover charge and has live music) and very close to alot of restaurants and activities. This was the first time I rented the apartment. It was really nice. It was a two bedroom apartment with one double bed and one queen bed, one full bath, a living room area with tv, and a kitchen with a small washer and dryer. There is a deck outside with some deck furniture which was nice of lingering and having cocktails before going out for dinner. I had also rented three rooms for my kids and their significant others, which was nice because it gave everyone their space, and yet the apartment was a great gathering spot for everyone. We all enjoyed it so much, we already reserved it for next year. The staff is lovely and accomodating. You need to give $35 per beach badge at the front desk per person for your stay in cash, and once you return the beach badges they refund you the money. Totally a great time.

Room Tip: I recommend not staying in the hotel part of the hotel because on the weekends there is live music a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
North Stonington, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I do not recommend it, specially if you're with kids. The parties down on the first floor are not controlled, so it doesn't matter if you need to rest. There is no warranty that someone there is responsible enough to give you some service. They even showed us a room with blood stains on the floor (the Cottage). The woman at the office is terrible mannered, the kitchen has nothing, is a complete mess, dirty, unattended. Only if you spend your whole day at the beach, just go there to use the bathroom, sleep if you can, and go away!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Phili
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Hi this hotel is super charming if you are looking for 5 star then this is not your place but if thats what you are looking for then nowhere on lbi will meet your standards. The room was great we stayed in the inn side and had a king bed room which was very nice and comfortable. The best part of this place is the location you are 5 houses off the beach and they have a full service restaurant, bars, a club for nighttime entertainment and a liquor store. We had no problems at all with our stay and found the staff to be friendly and the prices to be on par with other places we have stayed on lbi. We ate at the restaurant two night and the food was great it was just me and my husband and we both had seafood and you could tell the freshness was there as it should be at the shore, the second night we had some apps and sandwiches and they were on point as well we also spent some time at the bars wink wink and found the prices fare and the service good all around. In conclusion would I stay there again? Yes absolutly the charm is there and it was a great vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf City Hotel? Share your experiences!