“Great Friday night dinner for friends!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai, Malaysian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Great Friday night dinner for friends!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I'm a fan of Penang. The waitstaff are friendly and the food is pretty good. We had the lettuce wraps, spring roll and another roll for apps. Solid portions at dinner. We ordered a shrimp pad Thai for the table and my entree was a calamari, curry, coconut and lemongrass dish. Light and tasty. Rice is al la carte. Specialty cocktails we're a little expensive, but the place did have a lounge type feel. With tip it was $70 per person, a little prices than we thought, but overall a good meal. Henry the partner kept checking on us which added a special touch.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New Jersey
“A close treasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have wanted to try this place since moving to the area. Finally got my chance and was pleasantly surprised. Fair pricing and good flavor, I will go back.

Visited May 2012
Woodbridge, New Jersey
“Large portions of not so great food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I had ordered a home delivery earlier and the food had been just about fine. This time there were four of us who went in for a dinner. One of us had wanted to try this place for some time. The menu carries a lot of choice - though the uninitiated would fine it difficult to separate the Malaysian from the Thai items. The quantity of the food was also plentiful. The restaurant knows this and brought in four small bowls so that I could share the Kari Mee that I had ordered with the others.

The taste of the Kari Mee, however, was flat and unlike the taste I would have expected. The others too were disappointed with the taste of whatever they had ordered. The four of us quite like Thai food and regularly frequent the Thai restaurant on Main St in neighboring Hackensack, and that was a benchmark (and not a difficult one) we compared the food here with; and the Penang fare did not measure up.

I do see from the reviews that most people like the place and this review would be an outlier. So I would just say that if your taste buds approve then you will have a lot of nice food in a pleasant environment, but if you don't like the taste then you would a lot of surplus that you would not want to carry back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
new jersey
“Great food and ambiance!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Food was delicious and ambiance was great. The roti canai was very tasty. Tried the Sea bass red curry and malaysian fried rice....would order the same again.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NJ
1,265 helpful votes 1,265 helpful votes
“Asian done a little bit different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We have been to this Malaysian spot several times. Each time I go I'm sure to have the firecracker pork chop. The decor is smart and the number of Asians dining there is reassuring. The service is efficient. Parking is free in their own lot. We also try new dishes each time we go and have never had one we didn't like. The prices are reasonable and with most dishes there is enough to share or take some home.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Penang? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Penang, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.