“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Three years ago my fiance and I got the romance package during Valentines Day and were very impressed and blown away by this hotel and the package if offered. (early check in, rose petals leading into the room to the bed, chocolate covered strawberries & champagne, couples massage, $100 gift certificate to the strip house, 1 free movie, and late checkout. The room was modern and clean! This year we decided to do the same thing and we were extremely disappointed! The package only offered early check in and late check out, $100 towards the strip house or room service, and $25 towards breakfast. We ordered room service because they didn't have our reservation booked and the food was HIGHLY overpriced. Not only did we have to pay a $3.00 room service fee and an 18% gratuity charge, but the food was terrible! Our steak was cold and over cooked and the vegetables were hard. When we first walked in the room it smelled like smoke and the rooms looked like they needed a little upgrading. We were even in a suite and I'm not sure if it was the room we were in that was old, or if all the rooms were like that. The couches were stained and worn out. On a more positive note, the beds were top of the line and the staff was very friendly. I did want to complain the next morning because we spent almost $400 on this particular package, but when I went to the front desk, there was 1 girl checking in six guests. The Westminster seemed like it was the hot spot in 2008 but they need some major upgrading! Also, both dinner and breakfast were extremely overpriced for what it was.

Room Tip: Don't spend the extra money on their suite. The only thing a suite offers is a dining table, a e...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were
disappointed about your Valentine’s Day Package. I would like to
clarify some important points for the Tripadvisor readers. The
components of the package you booked in 2008 were different than the
package you booked this past Valentine’s Day. I am sorry that you may have
not realized what the offerings were for your package this year, but
you did receive everything that the package included. Please also
note that the price was $100 cheaper then the package you had in 2008.
It is not a fair comparison by any means.

I am also very sorry to hear about your experience with the
Striphouse. Our records do indicate that you had a table reserved for
two at the Striphouse on Friday evening, but you did not show up.

Please accept my apologies about your food. This is not a typical
experience with our award winning Striphouse restaurant. I have shared
your comments with our Executive Chef. Please also note that the
$3.00 Room Service Delivery charge is an industry standard.

While I very much appreciate your kind words about our wonderful staff
and the beds, I am disappointed to learn your thoughts about your room
which was the exact same room you stayed and enjoyed in 2008.

I will be reaching out to you separately since I didn’t have the
opportunity to meet with you prior to your departure. I hope that I can find
a way to change your recent impressions about the Westminster
Hotel.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had received a gift certificate as a gift and used it to take my husband for Valentine's Day dinner and a one night stay - we were both pleasantly surprised! The staff was friendly, the rooms clean and spacious and having the Strip House right in-house made for a very relaxed, easy mini get-away!

Since we live locally, we will certainly recommend it to out of town guests and as a place for family and friends to stay when visiting for a party so they don't have a long drive home. Since the Strip House also offers a breakfast buffet, it could be a great place for gathering everyone together when you just can't (or don't want to) cook breakfast for a crowd the morning after a big family event.

They seemed to have power when we didn't after the last few storms so I will definitely be adding them to my emergency post-storm phone list as well!

Room Tip: We were in the back and it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and for spending your Valentine’s Day with us. We are so happy to hear that you were “pleasantly surprised” by the Westminster Hotel. We strive to provide warm and friendly service, so we are delighted to hear this reflected in your experience. Having our award winning Striphouse Restaurant on site is so convenient for our guest and it is indeed such a fun way to celebrate any occasion.
We appreciate that you will be recommending us to your out of town guests and we look forward to your next visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

My children had a wrestling match for states and we booked a room last minute. All of the hotels were filling up quick and were very pricey. I found this one for a very reasonable price and was shocked when we arrived to see how beautiful it was. The resort was very modern and even had an indoor pool and jacuzzi which was beautiful! The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. The room was lovely and had a new flat screen tv, fridge, free wifi, and all the amenities from blow dryer to iron. My boys loved it and keep asking to go back. We are driving to Florida in a month and I am looking for a Westminster to stop at on the long drive... We will be back!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,
What a delightful review! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us here on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our offerings and perceived value. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and I will be sure to share your remarks with them.
Thank you for staying with us and we can’t wait to see you again!

dnpinva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you get a discounted weekend rate at this hotel, I would recommend staying here. I do think the hotel is overpriced during the week and would recommend another hotel in the area, like the Hyatt Morristown, which is terrific.

While I would consider the Westminster a luxury hotel, I think it really struggles to earn the AAA 4-diamond caliber of service that it has been awarded. Front desk staff were friendly. Appearance of the rooms and hallways is attractive. Gym is adequate. Location is not ideal with limited views, facing high electric wires on two sides, but convenient to Livingston, NJ and the highway.

The room has very comfortable Hollandia beds. That is why I stay there. There were some housekeeping concerns about the room. It didn't seem as clean as I would've expected, and things were not checked to make sure they worked. The telephone in our room was broken, and the cord was left unplugged, so it seemed the staff had recognized there was a problem here. There were a couple stains on the rug, and it was clear the bathroom had not been wiped down properly. The large towels in the bathroom were terrific, but two of the three towels had stains on them.

The bathroom is small but attractive. However, there are some functional concerns. There is a shelf below the mirror, and whenever you wash your face at the sink, it is difficult not to hit into that shelf. Additionaly, the tub was VERY slippery when wet - there is no textured bottom on the tub. It seems the water uses too much softener, and the shower pressure could be better. The bath products were excellent, but there was no shower gel.

The TV channel selection was excellent, and the TV had good picture quality. The temperature control was pretty good, but it seemed like the filer needed to be changed. Smelled a bit dusty.

I would recommend this hotel because overall, the experience was positive for the rate we got. But for a AAA-4 diamond, I would expect great attention to details.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
WestminsterMgmt, General Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful review. I appreciate all the great features of our hotel that you point out especially the great service of our front desk staff and the beauty of our public space and guest rooms. I am sorry that some components of your guest room were not satisfactorily cleaned. I have taken your feedback to our executive housekeeper. We work tirelessly to insure that all guest rooms are cared for at a high level. One point I would like to make is that our tubs do have a non-slip textured surface and individual bath mats are available on request if guests wish an added level of protection in the tub. I do hope that you will return and I would be most happy to handle the details of a future stay personally.

Warm regards,

Michael Polese
973.548.0036
Marlton, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here December 7th for 1 night. Thought the lobby and rooms were very nice, clean and modern. I was disappointed in the indoor pool. I found the temperature of the pool to be pretty cold and the hot tub was so tiny.
We ordered room service from The Strip House, and enjoyed our meal.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. While I am so happy to hear that you found our rooms to be nice and clean and enjoyed your room service, I am sorry to hear that our indoor pool and Jacuzzi didn’t meet your expectations. It can be challenging sometimes to find a comfortable temperature for every guest using the pool.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to New Jersey.

Levittown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The hotel stay was very nice. The hotel staff was excellent and very helpful. I recommend that you not use the spa. We had several treatments and were overcharged from what we booked. We brought this to their attention shortly after our visit and they refused to make the changes in the charges from what we booked.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. While it is great to hear your kind remarks about our staff, I am very disappointed to learn about your experience with the spa. Did you bring this to the Hotel Managements attention? I will be happy to look further into this issue for you. The Westminster Hotel is committed to ensuring a positive experience in all areas of our hotel. Please contact me directly at 973.533.0600 ext: 2005. I look forward to speaking with you.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I needed a last minute place to stay and the DeBarry Inn was full (my first choice), so I decided to give this hotel a try. I got a great deal on Expedia. First of all, Valet parking is right at the entrance, but for everyone else you have to park in the back and walk all the way around in the road to get to your car - that was annoying to me, especially with drivers going very fast around the corners of the hotel. The entrance is nice, comfortable, and the receptionists were friendly. It was a quick check in and they have 3 floors of rooms. I asked to be put near the back so I didn't get the highway noise and they did that. The jacuzzi and the pool area are great - fabulous for families since they have a private bathroom/snack area for kids as well. I loved it. It does close at 10 pm, so make sure you get all your swimming in before then! The restaurant was alright, but the bar's cocktails were expensive ($12 each), wow! I didn't have a chance to try the food. The floors can be confusing since everything looks the same, but the rooms are pretty good sized, nicely appointed, however watch your knees and toes on the sharp wooden edges of the beds - not very children friendly. Also, the large desk is wedged by the bed, so it can be difficult to maneuver around it. There were plenty of cups, coffee, toiletries in the room (for 1 person), and towels. There was a nice closet with an ironing board, an extra blanket, a suitcase holder, and a safe for your valuables. The bed was AMAZING - did not want to get out of it in the morning because the pillows were like giant marshmallows. The tv was nice, flat screen. The tub was nice (a little rust), but who cares, the water was hot, the towels were clean, and they even left lollipops on the vanity for you. A phone in the bathroom in case of emergencies, tissues, extra towels, toilet paper, a laundry line in the shower, nice carpeting.
The gym is in the basement and it is HUGE with everything you could want/need, they also had cucumber water and fresh towels for guests. There is also a concierge lounge that was well appointed with computers and snacks.

My only complaint was that the walls are pretty thin and I was awoken by a screaming child at 7am from an adjoining room - this went on for several hours afterwards. Calling the front desk was impossible because it was hard to pinpoint where the screaming was coming from; this was not the hotel's fault. I just would have placed a family with children in an area of the hotel where the majority of other guests are not.

Room Tip: Get a room near the back of the hotel due to street noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of the Westminster Hotel. We are so glad that you gave us a try and enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate all your positive remarks, from quick check- in to our fabulous pool and Jacuzzi area. Thank you also for mentioning our amazing beds. We receive many compliments on them every day.

Please accept my apologies in regards to the screaming child.
Should your travels bring you back to the area, please contact me directly at zbingol@westminsterhotel.net and I will be very happy to handle your accommodations personally. Thank you again for a delightful review!

Front Office Manager

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!