“Nice choice for local stay in the area” 3 of 5 stars

Westminster Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   550 West Mount Pleasant Avenue, Livingston, NJ 07039   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
New York City, New York
“Nice choice for local stay in the area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times over the years, most recently on thanksgiving weekend. It's a nice hotel with a modern decor. Spacious lobby, rooms are neat and updated. My biggest issue it that the hotel gets many events on the weekends and the check in process is always backed up and delayed. There were limited dining options but for the Strip House.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Westminster Hotel to spend your Thanksgiving weekend. We truly appreciate your loyalty.
On high occupancy days, the longest waiting time for check in process may be 2 to 3 minutes. I am very sorry if you had to wait more than the usual time. Service is the top priority for us, so it is disappointing to hear that you were not attended to promptly. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we hope to welcome you back.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Roseville, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Westminster Hotel over 15 times in the past 4 years, so I have had just about every imaginable experience at this hotel. Here are some tips to help you understand the good and the bad aspects of this hotel.

The Good:

* The Strip House restaurant has some nice wines to choose from and the bar area has a food menu for those not looking for a heavy meal. The gorgonzola fondue appetizer is amazing and something you should not miss.
* The concierge lounge is a spacious place to work if you have downtime on a business trip
* The lobby staff is always very kind and accommodating
* The standard rooms are well proportioned and have nice features like a couch and king sized beds
* In room desks are top notch
* Nice sized workout room with many equipment options

The Not so Good:

* There is no true loyalty program for the hotel, so no upgrade or amenity bonuses for frequent stays (they do have a way for you to earn frequent flyer miles, but not frequent stay bonuses)
* The rooms in the basement ("garden level" and parts of the first floor) are creepy/too close to people walking by
* Some rooms smell like smoke
* Limited breakfast options
* Parking can be difficult on extra busy nights
* Some workout equipment feels a little dated (like treadmills)
* Housekeeping staff is not always courteous or respecting of privacy (I have had housekeeping burst into room without knocking more than once)
* Coffee machines always stocked with way too much decaf and not enough real caffeine. Nobody needs more than one decaf.
* Limited power by the night stand for charging phones

Overall, I do enjoy my stays here and it's the best hotel option I have seen in the area. I just wish they had some sort of loyalty program to award me for staying so many nights!

Room Tip: Make sure you are not on the first floor or basement (garden) level. Check your room for smoke smell...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
First and for most, we would like to thank you for your loyalty. As a frequent guest, we highly value your feedback.
Thank you for taking the time to share all this information with the future guests of the Westminster Hotel. We appreciate your candid review. It is great to hear where we succeeded during your stays from our kind staff to our beautiful rooms. In regards to the “Not so good part”, I will share your very valuable comments with our Executive Team in order to assess and address the area where we fell short.
We do our best to recognize our loyal guests by upgrading their rooms when it’s available. Please accept my apology if this was never done for you. I would appreciate if you contact me directly the next time you return so that I can personally take care of your accommodations. I can be reached at 973.548.0076
Once again, thank you for your thorough review. We hope to see you soon.

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Have stayed here while visiting family in the area over the holidays on three separate occasions and have been pleased every time. The rooms are a good value at the holidays, the hotel is quiet without the normal business travelers, and the outstanding restaurant can be enjoyed when you desire a meal on your own. (The breakfast situation was a little confusing so ask to be sure what is available. Had the paid buffet on Saturday, which was expensive considering the offerings, free weekday limited buffet when offerings were only slightly less.) Our king room was clean, spacious and quiet but lacked a view - looked at rooftop hvac units. The blower on the heating unit was loud enough to require adjusting TV volume, but don't recall this from previous stays? Staff is friendly and accommodating. Gym is very adequate, someday hope to take advantage of the spa services.

Room Tip: Suggest you ask about room view when checking in if it's important to you; we were away from the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your recent experience at the Westminster Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you choose to stay with us several times over the holidays and that you enjoyed the overall experience. Please accept my apologies if the breakfast situation seemed a bit confusing. We provide complimentary continental breakfast with 2 additional hot items Monday to Friday.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will have a chance to use our beautiful spa next time you are here.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Westminster. The Westminster is a good value, with good service. Our room was nicely apportioned, with a Euro feel. The bed was totally comfy, and there were plenty of towels. If I ever have to go back to Livingston, New Jersey for some reason, I would stay at the Westminster again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments with us here on TripAdvisor. We strive to provide excellent service and comfortable rooms while delivering a great value, so I am delighted to hear that this was reflected in your stay with us.
Thank you for your review again and we sure hope to welcome you back in the future.

Deltaville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed there for a family event. Nice hotel and staff was great. Rooms are clean and well appointed. Our king bed was extremely comfortable! On site restaurant very nice, though we only had cocktails, and breakfast, in. Breakfast buffet was good, but nothing outstanding about it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I hope your family event was a special one. We are so happy to learn that you were comfortable in your room and that you received great service. Please come back and visit us soon!

New Hartford, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My second stay at the Westminster, after a six month hiatus! Front desk personnel friendly and efficient. Room was clean, spacious, and had all of the requisite amenities. Parking abundant and close. Free coffee in the lobby, and I discovered a lounge on the basement floor full of magazines, books, and even a few snacks! The gym was well equipped.
My only complaint was that my room, 266, was close to the parking entrance, and so I heard late arrivals yacking away as they walked into the hotel. I'd avoid this room in the future.
This is an excellent facility, and I'll gladly stay there again at my next opportunity.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that you had a second visit to the Westminster Hotel. It is great to hear your kind remarks about our friendly staff and comfortable rooms. Also, thank you for mentioning our complimentary coffee service in the lobby and snacks in our club lounge.
I am sorry to hear that the location of your room created an inconvenience to you. Please contact me directly when you return at zbingol@westminsterhotel.net, I would be more than happy to handle your accommodations personally.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My wife and family stayed her for two days during the Thanksgiving holiday.
The room ( The good ):
Two double beds, very comfortable, nice set of linens and blankets. The room had reasonable size LCD TV on a turntable making it easy to move from side to side. They included a pod coffee maker, don't remember the brand, but not one you find much of anymore. They included a nice selection of coffees, decaf, flavored and regular. There was a comfortable desk chair and a good work area. There was also a small couch. They included a nice set of soaps and shampoos. The towels provided were big and nice. They provided two pint size waters each day.

The pool looked very nice and was a reasonable size, much better than you find in many of the standard chains.

The room ( The less good ):
The bathroom shower was terrible. The grab bar along with the shower curtain made the size of the actual shower area extremely uncomfortable. This was a major negative on the room. A much smaller negative was the seams in the bathroom wallpaper opening, I also had the corner of the work area ( some piece of metal ) fall off. It does make you wonder if they are keeping up the rooms My other comment is when you make a reservation for three, you'd like three towels, three waters without having to ask.

The other thing that bothered me was the rear parking area. When we pulled in, the signage was poor, there seemed to be no direct route into the hotel, just the ballroom. There was broken glass. In addition, when I went to my car late in the evening, there were strange people in the rear that didn't seem like they belonged to a party or the hotel. I don't want to valet my car, but I also don't want to be forced to park in a bad/inconvenient place. The path to the front of the hotel was also difficult, with many stairs, no path that didn't include crossing the parking lot. The second day we ignored the signs and parked in the valet area, everyone else seemed to do the same thing.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and for spending your Thanksgiving Holiday with us. It is vital that we receive both positive and negative feedback in order to maintain our AAA 4Diamond service and product. While I am delighted that you found your room to be comfortable and the amenities to be satisfactory, I am sorry to hear that the bathroom didn’t meet your expectations. Our engineering team works diligently in order to maintain the upkeep of our building under the “Preventive Maintenance” program. Thank you for pointing out the wallpaper opening in your room. I am sorry that it escaped our attention. We will do the necessary repairs in that room immediately.
I am also sorry to hear that you had some difficulties with the parking situation. In addition to the parking area in the back, the hotel offers parking on each side of the hotel for all guests. Also, we have 24 hour security that patrols the parking lots.
Thank you again for your feedback and should your travels bring you back to the area, please contact me directly so that we can show you that the Westminster Hotel is indeed a “Special Place to be”.

Front Office Manager

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!