“Disappointed during Hurricane Sandy” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Linden
Linden, New Jersey
“Disappointed during Hurricane Sandy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I decided that my family should stay at a hotel to ride the storm because I was scared of flooding and no electricity.

I was having a nice time until the power went out. I was upset because that is why the majority, if, all the people were staying at Hampton because we believed that they would have a generator. Yes, they had a generator alright. A small generator that barely lit the front desk.

I don't understand. All the money that is flowing at these hotels, the President if Hampton Inn, will not invest in a generator to keep things up and running during adverse weather. There are people who run to hotels because they are dependent upon medicine that needs refrigeration. I left because it made sense to to stay in a hotel in the dark at $145 a night.

I will be writing the President or CEO because he/she should have a generator that could cover the whole perimeter of the hotel as well as its contents.

Room Tip: My tip is make sure you speak to the manager before making your reservation. Ask them if they have...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Carlos S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Linden, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
We are very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us in conjunction with Hurricane Sandy. Please know that we did our best to keep all of our guests safe and comfortable as we experienced this abnormal situation – we hate to disappoint any guest and we truly appreciate your honest feedback on how the situation was managed. We will use your feedback as we review our emergency policies and procedures to be better prepared should a similar situation arise in the future. We appreciate your understanding and hope you will accept our apologies for the unfortunate circumstances.

Carlos G. Santana
Hampton Inn Linden
501 W. Edgar Rd
Linden, NJ 07036

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Grimsby, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'm at the Hampton Inn, Linden on business. The hotel is good but functional rather than outstanding. The rooms are clean but a little tired. No bar! Definite disappointment. But high speed internet WiFi. Gym is there - just! Staff are very helpful. 5 mins from train station then about 40 mins to downtown New York.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Carlos S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Linden, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for sharing a review about your stay with us on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear we were able to meet your needs while in town and that our gym and wifi were convenient during your stay. I understand that the look and feel of you room was a concern, and we are working to correct the issue. I do hope the next time your travels bring you to the area you will consider staying with us again; we would love to have you.

Carlos Santana
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have read some of the negative reviews. I do not doubt that these might have ocurred it is just so strange to read some of them. The room I stayed in was quite clean. Rooms were cleaned on a daily basis. Sheets were white and looked and smelled clean. The breakfasts were good. Two or three hot entrees along with toast, bagels, muffins, cereals, three juices and waffles. You make the waffles yourself. The reviewer who said the waffles were terrible probably had no idea on how to cook them. The batter was fresh. The cook constantly came out to see if anything was running out. There was a large flat-screen tv in the dining room. The dining room is decent size. I can only assume the reviewers who had these negative comments had people working there who no longer work there. I rarely give five circles to anyone. The business room was good. Had two working computers and a shared printer. No charge for the printing. When the toner cartridge was running out I informed the front counter who immediately replaced it. The printer was slow at first. Some idiot was trying to run a 65mb document and left it there. Once I came in the room and deleted it from the queue the printer ran fine. The computers were a little slow but not enough for you to fall asleep on. The fitness room had some nice equipment. All was working. The location and price is great because you are NOT right at the Newark Airport. Behind the Hampton is a very large strip mall. Target, Shop-Kwik, restaurants are within a three minute walk. They have a shuttle service to the Linden train station. It is about five minutes from the hotel. The New Jersey Transit (NJT) will take you into NYC in about 30 minutes. You will arrive at Penn Station NY. The cost is $8 per person. I highly recommend it. Keep you car parked at the Hampton. You can take subways or buses in NYC. Parking is a nightmare in NYC. They also provide shuttle service to Newark airport (EWR). They only run there shuttles to around 10 pm. If you come back from the city later than that there is a cab company directly across from the train station. They will charge five dollars to take you to the hotel. There are numerous restaurants near the train station. Pizza, Asian, etc, etc. Pick-ups did not take long. I usually tipped the shuttle guy a buck or two. At the end of my stay the bill that was given to me was not the same as what my Visa was charged. The general manager, Carlos Santana (no not the world famous guitar player) emailed me back quickly and got the problem resolved. With a name like that I can always remember him. Based on the reviews it might be a great place or might not. You will have to decide. I am stating, for the record, I thought it was a great place.

Room Tip: Upstairs away from elevators. If you have AAA or AARP or military make sure you state it before mak...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

If you want to save money when visiting NYC, a good strategy is to stay in a neighboring town in New Jersey and take an NJTransit train in for the day. The advantage of Hampton Inn Linden is that they have a shuttle running, on demand, to the Linden train station, and the train connects to NY Penn Station which means you can connect to the subway. Note that it runs until 10 pm, after which it's a 5-dollar taxi run from the station to the hotel.
The hotel itself is well-maintained. Breakfast is standard institutional quality, but it's hot and features fresh fruit which tends to go fast. You're also next door to a shopping mall so finding a spot for dinner within walking distance isn't a problem. The swimming pool is the standard outdoor one which is good for splashing around and cooling off.
All in all, a good place to stay.
Internet service inside the room is wi-fi; it was reasonably fast with no problems.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I am a very frequent traveler and the cleanliness of hotel rooms is of great importance to me. This hotel has a great housekeeping staff who keeps the rooms and bathrooms spotless! Kudos to the manager of this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The first room we were placed in had next to no air conditioning and the temperature outside was 34C (93F) plus severe humidity. I have no idea what the feel like temperature was, but the room temperature was unbearable. We called the desk 3 times only to be told that someone should be on their way to the room, so we waited. After another 15 minutes or so we called again and were told to come down to the desk for keys to a new room. Nobody came up to help us move rooms - 2 adults and 3 children, lots of luggage, a cooler. Nobody offered any assistance. While we were waiting however, I had gone into the bathroom to begin unpacking and when I placed a bar of soap in the shower I located a pubic hair from the previous guest.

After we moved to our new room the kids were checking out the mattresses and located 4 panty-liners (feminine hygiene products) between the mattresses on one of the beds. We finally demanded that someone come up to the room and he took photographs and said he would send them off to the GM. We did not hear anything else about this so I do not know what actually happened in this case. After the guy left we settled in only to find that the area between the beds was soggy wet. We called down to have someone else come up but nobody ever did. We had to keep our shoes on the whole time we were in the room - 3 nights/4 days. It was terrible. And the wet carpet was so dirty that the couple of times that we forgot and took off our shoes our light colored socks were destroyed.

When I booked my room I had asked for a cot - we got one on the last night.

The hotel pool was only open from 10am - 8pm, so by the time we got home from our activities most days and had dinner the pool was closed. And it opened so late that we could not use it in the morning. Not good with 3 children and terribly hot weather.

I will never return to this Hampton Inn ever again. Terrible experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions and never had a problem. The rooms are kept very clean especially the bathrooms. The beds are very comfortable and clean. I sleep well at this hotel as there is no noise. Could use some more channels on the TV especially a movie channel if you want to order movies. Plenty of nearby things, such as a Target, movie theater, Applebees, Chevys all in walking distance. Parking is free.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hampton Inn Linden? Share your experiences!