“sullen adolescent wait staff” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 40 Restaurants in Lambertville
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery
Rocky Hill, New Jersey
“sullen adolescent wait staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

although the food was average[ how badly can one cook a rib eye and mashed potatoes]?the wait staff was not very friendly, and in fact one young lady was sullen to the point that her dour mood effected my enjoyment of my meal, the wait staff also appeared poorly trained or perhaps just ill mannered, in that when ever they came to the table, instead of allowing us to acknowledge her and stop our conversation, she butted right in, very unprofessional and annoying. seating was also crowded and the art work second rate art schoolish and drab.

• Visited April 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

rural hinterland
“Vegetarian dishes plus italian specialties from a woodfired oven, all for very small prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

Before visiting Lambertville, I had taken my time to research all options (hotels and restaurants). We don't travel often, we are not wealthy and cannot afford to make expensive mistakes. And we are vegetarians!

So I found this Bistro listed on this Tripadvisor side and checked it out. Menue looked great, and they offered free delivery to the hotel I had chosen to book, so I went for it. I am glad I did, because it was indeed very good.

The caffe is really small, and from the outside it says nothing. I would have passed it by without stopping, had I not seen it online first! Inside it is really nice, beautiful wall painting from rustic landscapes (see pictures I took), and the floor is a real stone floor. I love that! Tables were small, but with 2 people we had enough space for us.

We came in for lunch and ordered a local specialty, a Tomatoe Pie (5.95) plus a Pizza Margherita (7.95). Both were personal sizes and were a good value. Both came out of a woodfired oven and were crisp on the edges. We liked the Margherita better, it had fresh (cow) mozzarella (not buffala, but for that price...), fresh basil, tomatoes and olive oil.

The Tomatoe Pie was just a piece of dough with tomatoe sauce on top of it with a bit of fresh basil. But we knew it would be without cheese, we had Tomatoe Pies before when in New Jersey, we just wanted to try theirs. The Margherita absolutely won that contest here!

For dinner they suggested a reservation, and we did that. We said we'd be back around 6.30 the same night, and when we left (were almost out of the door), I overheard the huge pirate-like-looking cook say half-loud "you'd better be". Huh? What was that about???

We came back for dinner at 6.30 PM, now I ordered a specialty pizza with marinated pears and brie, Hubby took a traditional NY style pizza. He loved his, but I found that boring, it was just tomatoe sauce with melted cheese. But he is American and grew up with that style pizza, so he was right in love with it. I loved my pear pizza too, the strong cheese came right through. We paid 6.95 for the traditional pizza (personal size) and 8.95 for my pear pizza (personal size also).

I wondered what marinade these UNRIPE pears might have been in, as I couldn't detect a certain marinade flavour. And the pears had been hard (thus unripe) when they were cut, but I guess that is a thing Americans will never learn. I let that go, as I did like my pear pizza. It also had fresh basil on it, and together these flavours were really a great composition!

We were a bit in a hurry, as we were on the way to another city in New Jersey to attend a concert. The very nice waitress assured us we would get the food in time and be on our way fast, and that was true. In the meantime we were offered warm bread and butter, which we accepted (was good!).

We asked them a for special favour, and I am happy to announce it worked out perfectly: the Caffe Galleria closes at 9 pm, and we expected to be back at the hotel at midnight. We wanted to have some food then. We asked if we could have something delivered to our hotel right before they would close, and they did that. Even for free!

We had ordered a Veggie Stromboli and a Veggie Calzone (8.95 each in personal sizes), and they were waiting for us at the hotel when we came back at night. Both were really good, and I would order both again when in town next time.

The Calzone had broccoli, spinach and tomatoes inside, and cheese, and it was served with extra tomatoe sauce on the side (garlicky). The Stromboli had also broccoli and a cheese inside, I assume it might have been Ricotta. I should have asked, because I really would have liked to know when we ate it. This also came with an extra little container with their homemade garlicky tomatoe sauce (was not listed on menue that it would). Both were outstanding, and I will try them next time to see how they will be fresh out of the oven.

Considering how difficult it is to find good vegetarian options in American restaurants, this Bistro was delivering in every way. They also offer tofu options which we have not tried this time, but will definitely on a return visit later this year.

I watched a couple at another table having a great looking first course with greens, and I thought I will try that also next time! It looked delicious, but we were running out of time that night. Otherwise I definitely would have tried that right away.

The prices were really small considering the town was filled with tourists like us! The ambiente was so nice, that I forgave them the plastic plates they served the food on. (Could be worse: I have seen pizza being served on paper plates elsewhere before!) At least they used real glasses, and the silverware was ready at the table (didn't need to ask for, like in other places we were). And if I remember it right, I believe the napkins were also cloth.

All in all this is a very nice, very small Bistro with good food options for vegetarians and meat eaters. Their slogan is actually "The place where the unapologetic carnivore and the dedicated vegan eat together happily", and I can imagine that very well. We liked it very much and will come back next time when in town.

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
philadelphia, pa
“Very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

We ate in this place and found the food to be very good as we were a group of 6 we ordered small plates and mains and everyone liked what they got. Took the dessert to go and enjoyed it later. It is a BYOB so that cuts down on costs.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ahr1126
“Not Worth The Money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I heard great things about this restaurant and was highly disappointed. Salad dressing was mostly flavorless except for a bitter background flavor. Entrees all consisted of the same overly spiced potatoes and overdone broccoli and carrots. Nothing seemed to go together. There was too much on every plate and none of it tasted good. It was also very expensive for dinner and just not worth it. Maybe I was there on an off night, but I will definitely not return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“Best Restaurant in Lambertville!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

The food is amazing; the staff is wonderful; and the ambiance is lovely. Their food is very fresh and healthy. They have a lot of vegan and vegetarian options as well as meat dishes. Their veggie burger is the best thing on the menu. We have eaten a couple dozen different dishes for all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and the food and service never disappoint. They deliver which is a plus. Also, there is always rotating local art on exhibit in the restaurant and outdoor seating in front and out back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere