“Uncomfortable and awkward wait staff, food mediocre at best.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania
“Uncomfortable and awkward wait staff, food mediocre at best.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2015 NEW

In my opinion:
My wife and I went here to celebrate a special occasion. We were greeted by an aloof and unwelcoming hostess. Ok... no big deal - let's move on. After we were seated our server approached our table - ONLY acknowledging me, my wife was invisible to her - no - hello / good evening / how are you this evening / welcome to Brian's - nothing, nada, niente, rein! She solely and only acknowledged me, even striking up somewhat of a conversation with me as my wife sat across from me as if she didn't even exist. Very awkward for us (my wife and me). This is thought to be a "romantic", couples, special moments restaurant - not with the stiff hostess and totally rude server. It comes time to order - what does the server do - asks ME (the male) for my choice first (who does that???!!!) - I obviously ordered for my wife (and no, the server did not mean asking me first as if I was going to order for my wife - it was a clear ignorance again). Food comes - my wife is served what I ordered, I am served what she ordered (is it the end of the world? no - but, when you are paying about $30 PER ENTREE -then YES, things should be near perfect - this is your job!) Server didn't come over once to ask how meal was etc... to my wife's satisfaction, at least she didn't have to endure being ignored and patronized again. We finished our food, which by the way was mediocre at best, uninventive, boring and lacked any type of thought and passion. (Fish with mashed potatoes, 2 small asparagus, a few pieces of carrots and a few snap peas) - really? This is the best they could do at this "french" restaurant? Same rude server comes to clear our dishes, and again - takes my dish first as she stands hovering over me, leaves my wife's dish in front of her and begins to try to have a conversation with only me. I tried to acknowledge my wife and move along the server, without being overly rude and making a scene - finally she took my wife's dish and let us be. We got up and left saying that couldn't have ended sooner. What a horrible experience all around. We will never go back to this place. (And no, we are not overly-sensitive people - we have dined the world over at some of the best restaurants all around the globe and lived in 7 countries. We should not have to pay to feel uncomfortable while eating bland and tired food.)

• Visited May 2015
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Furlong PA
“Special Dinner Series "World Cuisine"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2015

We hadn't been here for a couple years so when we got the notice of a special series of dinners we booked a reservation.

Of course the regular menu has always been great... see the menu on the website linked here. The food is excellent. BYOB and cash only.. no credit cards. The only downside is the place is very small.

But check out the special "World Cuisine" series. This month the theme was Paris Bistro and dinner consisted of six courses of small plates... just the right size because the food was so rich.

• Visited April 2015
Newark
“Worth of bring a great Bottle!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2015

We had a great meal and I would go again in a second. My wife and I tasted each others plates and only dish that was not excellent was the sea bass, but it was still good. We love that is was byob, because you can bring great wine without the markup, which can be 2-3 times retail and the food is worth bring a nice bottle. To be honest our Lambertville experience felt like luxury, but their we had a few hacks that helped save our wallet.

1. BYOB Dinner (nice wine at a great rate)
2. Lambertville House (They give room service on their continental breakfast.)
3. Everything is in walking distance.

The money we saved on wine and room service, we put into a drink at the boathouse and per dinner snack at the Lambertville Station Inn which included chardonnay, foie gras and oysters down in their celler.

Other notes: To me it didn't seem crowed like other comments, but the door can be drafty.

• Visited April 2015
Princeton, New Jersey
“Fabulous Restaurant Week Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2015

Wonderful food, at a friendly price, for Restaurant Week.

Several items of concern: 5:30 Reservations, with 4 groups (3 doubles and 1 four-top) waited until just a few minutes after 5 for the door to be unlocked. Getting menus and water to the table was a bit of a mix-up. A bit shy of 1 1/2 hours, we were approached and asked if we we nearly through finishing our wine, as the next party was waiting to be seated. However, the food itself was amazing: interesting menu, well-prepared.

• Visited March 2015
Doylestown Pa
“Excellent Food, Great Service in a Relaxed Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2015

We went for Restaurant Week. I've been wanting to go to Brian's for a while, and this was a relatively inexpensive way to try it. We were a party of six. Everyone thought their meal was excellent. The food was flavorful but light. The goat cheese and mushroom ravioli appetizer was a hit with everyone. The Beef a la Mode (horseradish!) and the fish were excellent. The Bananas Foster and the Chocolate Pot de Creme were excellent - both full of flavor but not overly sweet. Among the best desserts we've had at restaurants. We were a bit afraid that the portions would be small and the presentation over the top, but not so. The plates were full and everyone had plenty to eat.
The restaurant itself is small but comfortable. I could see where some people would find it noisy, but we thought it was fine. You could tell that everyone was enjoying themselves.
Would we go back at the full price? Absolutely! Brian's delivers with excellent food, a casual feel, BYOB, and attentive staff.

• Visited March 2015