“very nice, but not as wonderful as I had hoped.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn to your Saves list
Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   207 Goat Hill Rd, Lambertville, NJ 08530   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Lambertville B&B and Inns
“very nice, but not as wonderful as I had hoped.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This B&B is a beautiful old estate on a lovely expansive property. It is on a quiet street very close, but not walking distance into town; I enjoyed feeling like I was in the country so the driving was no problem (one warning...the meters in town are .25 for 15" and the time goes by quickly!). The Alpacas are a darling and fun attraction to the estate; you are given food to feed them which I quite enjoyed. Terry kindly received me at 2:30, even though the email that comes to confirm one's reservation states, in capital letters, that check in (3pm) and check out times (11am) are strict. She was a very nice and accommodating hostess and helped to orient me to the town w/ a map that she gave me. The ladies that work in the kitchen w/ her were very pleasant. I did feel that she was possibly short staffed, ie. the same woman who was helping w/ breakfast was sent over to my room to clean up a bit as she was not available later in the day (I wanted some private time after breakfast and there was no "do not disturb" sign.) I stayed in Barn Suite 1 so I did not take advantage of the beautiful sitting room in the main bldg. The Suite was nicely appointed; warm colors and decor. It was very clean. I enjoyed the back patio. However, I ran into some problems. The mattress was too firm for me and the pillows were lumpy. The linens were soft but worn and the quilted comforter very heavy. The towels were alright, not thin but not thick. The bedside lamps needed brighter bulbs as there is no overhead light (which I didn't mind, but was a bit hard to read in bed). The corkscrew didn't work for the complimentary bottle of wine (I've never met a bottle of wine I couldn't open). The TV remote only works for the cable; the TV itself has to be used manually. Even though the phone number to reach someone for help was posted in the main house; it would be better to put the number on the same card that Terry gave me w/ the door code. This way one wouldn't have to leave their room for help. The bathroom is a nice size and the jacuzzi tub great. The shower had jets and the water heated up very fast. The bottom part of the wall attachment that supports the shower head was not firmly attached. The little pantry comes w/ useful amenities and standard coffee supplies. Breakfast is served from 9 - 9:30 only; I found this somewhat restrictive. The DR is very pretty. The food was ok; the portions just enough. Speaking of food; I stayed here using Living Social and it included a $50 certificate to Anton's...fantastic place!!! I cannot stay again as my budget would not allow it and I honestly think it is overpriced, esp. given it's Registry Status.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
CHFE, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for the response.

We always our best to please- but it is up to you to call us as inform you unpon check in ( we live at the property ) if you want or need anything and our numbers are posted too :-)

We are very a very organized Inn group and excellent multitaskers here at the Inn- so getting your room complete prior to your return from breakfast as you requested was a proiority , but we are not under staffed.

Hope you enjoyed enough to return for another 2 days of extreme rest .

Terry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My mother and I spent time at this inn for a short weekend stay. We really enjoyed the inn. The food was very good and all of the other guests were friendly and interactive.

I bought a pair of alpaca wool fingerless gloves in the gift shop. I have to say that they are amazing and I wear them a lot. I find them incredibly warm, comfortable and affordable. They also give me a nice memory of our time at the inn

Room Tip: Avery short drive to the shops and restaurants. Walkable but I had my mom with me!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Glad you and Mom had a great time with us! We enjoyed your visit and I bet those alpaca gloves last for YEARS to come!
See you soon !
Terry and Rich and the Alpacas!
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend at Chimney Hill Estate. What an incredible stay! We stayed in the barn in the Buttercup Room and fell in love with it! The attention to detail is second to none and we have stayed in numerous places in the Lambertville/New Hope area. The room was spotless, the grounds beautifully manicured, and breakfasts were scrumptious. They even prepared a special breakfast entree for me due to dietary restrictions. We even fed and enjoyed the alpacas and llamas. It is just a beautiful property. Terry is a gracious hostess and made us feel welcome. We will most certainly return!

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room in the place!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
All I can say is THANK YOU!
We try very hard to make each guest feel important and enjoy their stay.
We love what we do and want you to come back !
Terry and Rich
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Chimney Hill Inn the weekend of June 3 - 5 and it was fantastic. Terry, the hostess, was simply amazing. It is clear that she loves her work and she is very good at what she does. The house was very comfortable. We spend an evening having wine in the Stone Room. The breakfast area ...read morewas very nice and the food was amazing. We had a great time feeding the Alpacas. The Inn seems to be in a remote location - but in truth we were less than a mile from downtown Lambertville and just across the bridge is New Hope. Both of the small towns feature plenty of great places to eat and hang out. We also visited a few of the local wineries, the Living History Farm, the flea market, and the Wildflower Preserve. A truely fantastic place to spend some time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hauppauge, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Tapestry Room in the Main House. The room was quaint with an old feel to it with all the modern amenities. We had a private bath and a walk out balcony. the rest of the house was beautiful as well. I would highly recommend a visit here, the town it self is beautiful as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jersey Shore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had made a reservation for our anniversary. When my husband got sick a few days before, I asked if we could postpone our stay. Terry graciously moved our date back as requested. It turned out that we were the only ones there on the new date, but we felt completely welcomed.
The inn is charming and the rooms are well-appointed. We stayed in the Renaissance Room, which had a lovely fireplace and a view out to the front road. There is no TV in either the rooms or the common areas, which is a nice escape from the world. However, the dim lighting makes it difficult to read. The alpacas are fun. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife was kind enough to schedule this much-needed getaway for us at Chimney Hill, knowing that I love exotic animals. "They have llamas for you, and a nearby winery for me," she said, and that's how our vacation began. The llamas and alpacas are out back, and you even get a nice sack of feed for them. After I'd enjoyed myself feeding all of the animals like a berserk nine-year-old on a sugar high in a petting zoo, I was also able to apprecaite Chimney Hill's other attributes.

The main house that we stayed in was a beautiful old-fashioned home that had a wonderul stone sitting room with a warm fireplace. My wife and I immediately made ourselves comfortable in the huge leather couches there and enjoyed the complimentary iced tea and lemonade. The soft jazz and vocal music helped us to release all of our cares and concerns away.

Our room was a perfect example of what you'd imagine a bed and breakfast to be: large bed with wooded frame and quilt, old leatherbound books and a heater that looked like a fireplace. It was all too easy to lie there and enjoy each other's company. We might not have left the room if nearby New Hope, PA didn't turn out to be so fascinating in its own right.

The innkeeper Terry and her husband Rich really helped us to feel at home, Terry was a remarkably warm and kind presence throughout our stay, so that we always felt the love whenever we saw her. It was clear that she cared about her inn and guests very much, and we've never felt more wanted on any vacation that we've been on.

Many of the guests that we met were regulars at this inn, and now we will be as well. I hope that we'll see you there one day!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn? Share your experiences!