“A LOVELY HOTEL NESTLED AWAY” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Kenilworth

You added The Kenilworth to your Saves list
The Kenilworth
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   60 South 31st Street, Boulevard & South 31st, Kenilworth, NJ 07033   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kenilworth
New Mexico
“A LOVELY HOTEL NESTLED AWAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying a few days at the Kenilworth Inn, a charming, clean,and convenient hotel in Kenilworth New Jersey. I was initially greeted by Nicole who must be the " fastest checker inner " in New Jersey as I got greeting quickly and given my keys rapidly. I have to mention Koffi who picked me up at the airport quite promptly and gave me a quick orientation to the hotel and the amenities ( the pool unfortunately was just recently closed ). The next day, I had a wonderful breakfast, supervised by Isabella who is the Queen of the Breakfast Brunch there- every detail was taken care of and she was most gracious and charming- excellent customer service- and every morsel was fresh, the orange juice and coffee delicious and a very wide variety of tasty treats were available. I have to mention the day driver Bob, who is the Best. Bob provided all kinds of information as to where the best Chinese take out was, the location of the nearest Post Office, the location of the nearest bank- and he told us about the Kenilworth Diner which was another treat ! Bob knew the best pizza place- and the best place for a good salad--right next door to the hotel at the local supermarket. Bob was a wealth of information and guidance. I should mention the lobby and the splendor there- candelabra and roomy couches. Everyone at the front desk was helpful and provided all kinds of information about the local amenities- barber shop etc. In short, it was a wonderful visit. I should add that the hotel is undergoing some renovations- but I never heard a sound of noise the entire trip. Great place ! I will be going there again !

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor- avoid the stairs !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind and gracious words. I am please that you enjoyed your stay and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review about our hotel and staff.

You'll be pleased to know that we are just about done with our room renovations, which will include many new amenities that will make your stay an even more delightful one.

Hope to see you soon.

Jose Mojica
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Syracuse, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Spent the night at the Kenilworth Inn on August 24, 2013. The location was suggested on the invitation to a family event because of proximity. Construction debris was everywhere. One of the major hallways was lined with huge bales of insulation for the remodeling currently in progress. Our room reeked of cigarette smoke, down to the bath towels. Our threadbare bedspread had huge holes in it. All the hallways and main areas smelled. We called the management to tell them how much our room smelled, and was told that they could send a machine up, but that it "would make a lot of noise". The bathtub was very dirty. I had a packet of disinfecting wipes that I'd been carrying in my suitcase for a long time. I'd practically forgotten they were there. At the Kenilworth they got opened and used!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable insights regarding your stay with us. I am sadden to learn that your experience with us was not up to our standards.

As you saw, we are working diligently at refurbishing all of our rooms and are actually almost done with room renovations. I would love to have you return and experience an entire new stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are ever in the Kenilworth New Jersey area again.

Attentively,

Jose Mojica
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Check in 7/24, out 7/28.
1. Dead bolt didn't work, next afternoon to get fixed
2.Each day card key had to be reset
3. Carpet filthy, white socks black
4.Shower head on hand held cord lays on floor, broken can not mount to hardware so it can hang. Shower mat not removed, slime under it!
5. Smoking at side entrance beside door....walling through smoke..yuck
6. Cheap continental breakfast, no fresh fruit, no waffles,staff nags you to eat at 9:45 am waiting for you to finish.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We have addressed the cleanliness and maintenance issues and are in the process of redesigning our breakfast experience for our guests. We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and would love to have you back to experience a whole new stay with us.

If you are ever in the area and in need of accommodations, we would love the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and offer you an experience that will surpass your expectations. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Attentively,

Jose A. Mojica
Mount Vernon, ME
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The new upgraded rooms were nice, they still had some finishing to do but were overall comfortable and clean. Front desk was nice, Ice machine worked good. I hope they continue to renovate. I know its a pain and must cost a lot of money but I know I liked and noticed the change

Room Tip: ask for a new room! Pay the extra 10 bucks
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your response and your comments.

We are definitely working diligently on renovating this property and paying attention to every small detail to insure that our guests are completely satisfied with their stay. We are very excited about where we're headed and even more excited now that you've noticed.

We look forward to having you with us again .

Hollis, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the Kenilworth Inn as it was a great location for our needs since it was right across the street from the cemetery. When we made our reservations in January, there was no mention of the construction, which was significant and appeared to be throughout most of the hotel. It was not a pleasant atmosphere. The renovated rooms we were given reeked of toxic fumes. The staff were nice about showing us other rooms that did not smell as badly and we relocated, but there was still a strong odor in the rooms. We would have stayed else where, had we known about the construction - I'm glad we only needed to be there for one night.
They also promote a continental breakfast buffet, which consisted of donuts and pastries with beverages - hardly a buffet. We ended up going to Manhattan Bagels a few blocks away.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay, ask to see the room first to determine if you can handle the smell. There did...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Kenilworth Inn was a great location for our purposes, as we were coming into town for a funeral. The room was clean and bright but there were a number of problems during our one night stay. The mattress was uncomfortable despite the fact that the front desk clerk said they were fairly new. For some reason the television was connected to a light switch so each time we accidentally turned off that particular switch the TV went out. We had to call the front desk for a service man to come and reset the TV. The front desk told us that this was a known issue but they had no solution for it. After the second time it happened we finally figured out how to reset the TV ourselves. Finally, the light switch in the bathroom would not turn off. The heat generated from the light was incredibly intense - it seemed like a heat lamp although I'm not sure it was. We did not sample the continental breakfast the next day, opting instead to eat at the local diner. The staff was friendly and serviced us promptly, but I would be unlikely to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013
toms river
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Front desk woman was very pleasant, effeciant and helpful. Room was nice- looked recently renovated untill I went to the bathroom- tiles in tub were poorly grouted and caulked, tub looked old and tiles on floor looked new, but grout looked like it used to be white- no longer! TV had plenty of channels and WIFI was free and easy to hook up to. Bed was comfortable.The only problem I encountered was when I got up in the morning (about 7:30 am) as I was walking into the bathroom, someone opened the door- even with the do not disturb sign outside my door- thankfully I had the chain set up. I think it was the cleaning/housekeeping- I peeked out after using the bathroom and saw the cart in front of the next room. Breakfast was very very simple- cold cereal, pastries, english muffins, coffee, tea, apple and orange juice. Not very filling if you're used to a big breakfast. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Kenilworth? Share your experiences!