“Bad hotel and beware of some of the reviews” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kenilworth Inn

Save Saved
You added Kenilworth Inn to your Saves list
Kenilworth Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 South 31st Street, Boulevard & South 31st, Kenilworth, NJ 07033   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Kenilworth
Bloomington, Minnesota
“Bad hotel and beware of some of the reviews”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Look at any of the negative reviews on this site, and you will find much better descriptions then I can conjure up. My family and I had to stay there a number of times, because it is the only convenient hotel in the area. I am thankful that I never have to go back.

I also think that the inn is planting some of the reviews, because this spring I was looking at the comments and I saw the exact duplicate of "Jess N"'s review. This reviewer also couldn't fly back to the UK, because of a hurricane and felt that the Kenilworth Inn was a life-saver. Perhaps it is a coincidence, but I am not willing to believe that there are that many people from the UK stranded in Kenilworth, NJ due to different hurricanes.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The staff at this hotel were simply amazing. Nicole, Mr. Joe and the rest of the team were awesome. Having to work in very stressful conditions, they made our stay at the Kenilworth Inn (an impromptu one due to Hurricane Sandy meant that we had to find somewhere to stay because our flight home to the UK was cancelled) very welcoming and easy considering there was no power/hot water/heat/internet etc. We stayed a total of five days and in that time, the staff made us feel welcome and accommodated us as much as they could, even though they had bigger problems to sort; we felt that we were just as important to them. If it weren't for their amazing hospitality and kindness, we feel the end of our two week holiday would have been completely ruined. The hotel itself was comfortable, if a little dated, but it suited us just fine. But the main credit of this hotel is definitely the staff. Thank you Nicole and Mr. Joe - you wonderful people! We hope everything is sorted out for them all as soon as possible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Trying to find a hotel in the Union NJ area is tough when I only have the internet to go by. Last trip to the Union Travelodge was a nightmare..(review on tripadvisor). This time I opted for the Kenilworth Inn.

I was on a business/work trip, and when I travel alone, I am not looking for luxury...just adequate...especially since my company is pretty tight about expenses for the rank and file employees. The Kenilworth was fine in this regards, although I would not take my wife and family there on vacation...

The hotel shows it's age, but is not run down....just not sparkling and shiny. Some maintenance issues in the room, but nothing which negatively affected my stay. Even though the room was non-smoking, it apparently was at some point, or else the previous occupant disregarded...there was the smell of old smoke lingering. (not an issue for me...I am a smoker..but would certainly be an issue for a non-smoker).

The continental breakfast was budget class, in keeping with the price point of the hotel....basically coffee, pastries, bagels, and juice were set out each morning. Nothing fancy.

The staff were all very pleasant. It is easy to get to, being right off the GSP and close to Liberty Airport.

There are a couple of restaurants up the street, some very good, some not so much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
North Ferriby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel has a complimentary shuttle from Newark Airport but make sure you book it in advance and agree a pick-up point. We went to the "hotel shuttle" pick-up and the minibus went to the terminal! The hotel is an average US travellers' hotel with a decent complimentary breakfast. The room met all of our needs. In the morning the shuttle was happy to drop us at the nearby railway station so that we could get the train into New York City.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chincoteague Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We found the front desk manager, Bob, and the breakfast attendant to be our favorite parts of the stay. Our original room had a plumbing issue, but we were switched quickly to another room. Although it was perfectly fine, it could have used some updates. The hotel is in the midst of renovations, so we look forward to seeing what is there on our next visit. We were disappointed that we were unable to connect our iPad to the internet at all - even with the assistance of staff. They said it was an Apple issue - do hope it is resolved!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the updated rooms!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
manahawkin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stay in this area often for business and would not stay anywhere else! I must admit I was a bit reluctant my first stay after reading some of the negative reviews but I am so glad I took a chance, and I have been staying here at least twice a month for years! It is like coming home, I can't wait to see my friends Lynne and Nicole at the desk, who are more than accomidating to my every need. They are renovating now so it will just get better as time goes on. My only problem is I spend about a half hour upon arrival chatting with the friendly staff, they make me feel welcome and important, but I am always late for my meetings! Just last week I was pleasantly surprised to find a new flat screen t.v. in the room. Now I look forward to seeing the upgrades being done every time I stay. There is no place like home but if you have to travel, the Kenilworth Inn is the next best thing. My personal thanks to Lynne and Nicole and also Anthony the manager who always has a smile and a nice word, you guys are the best, to me that means more than the carpet or wallpaper!! See you next week!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Hotel pool was closed (half empty and dirty) and it was august so surely it should be open during this summer month.
The 'fitness center' was also dire. It was an old smoky room with 3 machines, 2 of which were faulty and the final one was really old fashioned and also barely worked.
The fire alarm was going off for 25 minutes throughout the evening, which was very annoying.
The wireless intenet did not work in my room.
Room was clean and of a good size. Airport shuttle is a good facility.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sonali M, Owner at Kenilworth Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We’re very sorry our swimming pool was closed during your stay in August but we had an unexpected electrical problem that caused us to close the pool for a few weeks. Our fitness room is scheduled to be renovated and the machines fixed/changed. Also, as of August 2012 the hotel is now “Smoke Free”. We hope you give us a second chance to do a better job of making your next stay a much more Comfortable and Enjoyable Experience.

Travelers are raving about these Kenilworth hotels

Been to Kenilworth Inn? Share your experiences!