“Beware of construction ask for a room that faces South” 4 of 5 stars

Two Cities, One Great PKG
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Jersey City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago
“Beware of construction ask for a room that faces South”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

Recently stayed at the doubletree. It is a great location close to public transportation, restaurants and view of NYC. The room itself was clean and comfortable. The staff was very kind. The only problem was the construction right outside our window. They are building a high rise apartment building right next to the hotel. We were woken up Friday morning at 7:15am on our vacation by jack hammering right outside our window on the 8th floor. There is also a freight elevator that you can hear. We asked the front desk if the construction went on on the weekends, they said no. I don't know if they didn't know or if they were lying but bright and early we were woken up by the sounds of the freight elevator Saturday and Sunday. If you plan on staying here, which is a great place, ask for a room that faces south unless you are a deep sleeper. All the rooms that face north will have to deal with the sounds of the construction which is estimated till 2011 according to the sign.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

For my very first trip to NYC, after looking and reviewing what seemed to be 'hundreds' of NYC hotels/apartments, I decided to spend my 9 nights at Doubletree Jersey City. Value for money was second to none! Most of my dealings were done with Barabara who was extremly helpful and without her help I may have ended up staying elsewhere.
This hotel is in an excellent location: major shopping centre 1 block away (tax is less here than in NYC), the PATH train into Manhattan about 5min walk away, takes you to Ground Zero or to midtown (buy a weekly pass, cheaper), and great views of Manhattan from shoreline also 5min walk away.
I was lucky enough to end up on the top floor and had an awesome view across the Hudson to Manhattan (although some new buildings block a little bit of the view).
The room was huge, very spacious and very clean, had a large bathroom with bath (great for soaking in after being out in the snow for the day), even had two large LCD tv's!
Although there was some new construction going on next door I was not all bothered by it, I was out all day and they stopped work by the time I got back late in afternoon/early evening.
After my flights back to NZ were changed, I was allowed to stay in the room until late in the afternoon without charge. These small 'extras' and friendly staff do make a huge difference especially when you are so far away.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I go back to NY, I highly recommend this hotel as a pleasent alternative to the the expensive, small hotels on Mahattan.
Thank you all at The DoubleTree Jersey City.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

I agree with the other reviews, this is a very nice hotel. And, I'd try it again -- with the following advice:

DON'T VALET PARK YOUR CAR DURING A WINTER SNOWSTORM: We valet parked our car in the hotel's "locked garage" which turned out to be an outside parking lot down the street. It took over an hour for a valet to retrieve our car -- because he was shoveling the snow off the car, and presumably a path for the car to drive through. If the hotel had been candid about this, we might not have been so upset. As it was, we'd traveled across the country to attend a tournament for our sons and we nearly missed the start of the tournament entirely -- and we did miss the opportunity for them to warm up and prepare for the tournament. The last 40 minutes of the hour long wait, we were repeatedly told "it's coming now." When we asked to get the car ourselves we were told "it's in a locked garage" -- a bit misleading. As the time kept ticking by, we literally began to panic but were never told the truth. Even other hotel guests were getting concerned and one helpful man who was also a guest, yelled at the valet when he casually drove past the hotel in our car. Even then, the valet sat in the car and stared dumbly with no sense of urgency. What a disaster! The hotel did finally explain that the car was not kept in a garage but offsite and was in a snow drift. Too bad they didn't have the decency to tell us that to begin with. They did take the parking charges off our car for the rest of the visit and allowed us to self park in on-site (on-site parking is extremely limited, a handful of spots at best).

CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A TOP SHEET: We arrived after a long day of travel with young children late at night so I collapsed in the bed when we arrived. I realized in the morning we had no top sheet at all and had slept with the comforter (shared by the mass of humanity who had been in the room before) without any sheet at all between us and the comforter. NICE. The housekeeper was very polite and helpful (once I spoke Spanish) and she did remedy the situation. Also, beware, the comforter is a duvet type with a white coverlet made out of sheet material. You could be beguiled in to thinking this means the coverlet is laundered just like the sheets. I watched as the rooms were cleaned and even those where the guests had clearly checked out -- the coverlets were not being changed. That makes not having a sheet even grosser.

DON'T AGREE TO A HIGHER RATE IF YOU ARE WITH A GROUP THAT WAS GIVEN A DISCOUNTED RATE: This hotel was picked out by the tournament because it offered a special rate for participants in the tournament. Absolutely no deadline for registration was given. However, when I called to make a reservation, I was told the rate was no longer available. I then learned at the tournament that the hotel told several other guests the same thing. But if the guests properly objected upon arrival (I never quite learned what the appropriate procedure for this was), the management had the "discretion" to lower the rate to the quoted price. Imagine how I felt when I learned that another family with the same number of guests in the very same layout of room was able to have their rate changed to the lower tournament rate upon arrival and we were not. Yet we were Hilton honors members and they were not. The explanation I was given? Their room was on the 4th floor, ours on the 6th (we would not have cared if we stayed in the basement). The hotel did finally change our rate and allowed us to keep the free breakfast included in the higher rate -- which was a very nice gesture.

Overall, the hotel was very nice, clean (except for the day's trash from all of the rooms left outside my door scattered across the rug) and had beautiful rooms. I'd give it another try because the staff and management went a very long way to correcting the things that went wrong. It's probably one of the best hotels -- we just had a few snaffoos.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

Never stayed at a Doubletree before, I am a Hilton Honors Gold member, and generally stay at Embassy suites. Very happy to be upgraded to a Corner Suite with a spectacular view of NYC. Construction next door, no problem. Front desk service could not be any better, along with a smile and warm chocolate chip cookies.Very clean and very quiet. Parking $20 a day, but that is the only negative. Too cold to walk around so we ordered in from Sabatinos Pizza, a recommendation from the front desk. Grest pizza and Fast delivery. Love this place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

For extended stays consider this property as an excellent, and cheap alternative to Manhattan. Located conveniently near the ferry, a short ride away from the financial district. Wonderful restaurants nearby. Enjoy your stay.

Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
Palm Coast, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I took my daughter on a college visit and stayed with her at this hotel. The staff went over and above to make sure we had everything we needed, Anthony, Felix and those 2 front women who worked that Saturday and Sunday! What a class act.
The room was immaculate and so large, view spectacular.
The only downfall is the Parking - $20.day and the attendents try to rope you into valet with every move, sign on parking attendent's house said specifically "this is a self park lot"
Also, was not given welcome cookie on check-in, but Felix hooked us up and made sure we got our warm cookie with a smile.
Will stay here again and will defineately look forward to it...Breakfast buffet, fair, would have loved a fresh omelette!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

Expected alot by reading the positve reviews in advance and was not disappointed. From the moment we were greeted from the front desk, to the moment we checked out, everything was fantastic. Staff was so helpful and friendly, the room was fantastic, we were upgraded to a suite with an "incredible" view of New York!! Bed was so comfortable and the room was spotless!! The hotel is situated in a newer and safe area of Jersey, the Newport mall is 4 minutes from hotel, where a food court is located for a quick meal. The hotel is within a 10 minute walk from Pavonia/Newport Path station. Buy a 10 ticket card in advance, much easier use the card then purchasing tickets. The path takes you to World Trade Centre ( about 5 minutes), or to Madison Square Garden (Penn Station) area, or hop off at 9th street to walk to Greenwich Village, Soho and Canal Streets. Very easy and quick to get to Manhattan. Can also take the light rail, a few minutes walk to take you to Liberty State Park, and board a ferry for Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. You can also take the Battery State Park ferry back which will land you in Manhattan. From here, you can walk to Wall Street, Ground Zero, Trinity Church and St. Paul's church. Would definately stay again here and highly recommend it!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City? Share your experiences!