“Expensive and run down” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Jersey City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Expensive and run down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at a lot of hotels, but this one of the worst Doubletrees I ever stayed in.
The "non smoking" room I was in smelled awful ... I guess it was just "converted" from a smoking room. The rooms ( I saw 2 others) have a standard size but are all
quite dark. Bathrooms are small and plain. No luxury.
Rooms and beds somewhat clean but not cosy at all.
Will not return if I can avoid.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I truly apologize that you did not find our property up to your standards. Although not the norm - I do appreciate your comments and will certainly review them with the team. I do hope you allow us another opportunity to regain your trust as we do value your business and expect your next stay will be much more enjoyable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We chose this hotel for it's price and proximity to PATH. Rooms are large and comfortable, but WIFI is an additional $13 charge/day. You can get free WIFI in the lobby area, but it's pretty loud when people around you are using Skype or watching videos. We did have noise issues across the hall on our second night and when I called the desk for help, I was told "I'll see what I can do, it's a wedding party" like that was a good reason to be awakened at 1:00am. I ended up opening the door and in a not-so-pleasant tone asked the wedding guests to stay in their room and lower the noise level. I mentioned this to a supervisor in the morning, she was very nice and promised to speak with the night staff.

Restaurant: One of our two rooms included free breakfast, but the food had so much grease I just ate my toast on the one morning I went down. I had a muffin the next day, and it was great. They have a good selection of fruit and cold items, and the pastries are very good. Hot buffet breakfast is $15. Valet Parking is $20. BJs and ShopRite are behind the hotel, plus there are many restaurants within two or three blocks.

Room Tip: Go for the city view, as high up as you can get. It's beautiful at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for the post and glad that you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize for the excessive noise caused by neighboring guests. Hope you keep us in mind should your travels take you back our way.
Milford, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is decidedly average. I've stayed at DoubleTree properties across the US, and this is far and away the worst. There are some good things though.

Pros
1. Convenient location - It's a quick ride to Manhattan and to the Jersey City business district. There's a lot of shopping and restaurants nearby the hotel as well.
2. Friendly staff - I had a problem with the first room I was in (see below), and the staff was super helpful.
3. Mostly clean - The place is definitely not a motel, you'll be able to sleep without fear of bugs.
4. Reasonably comfortable bed - The bed was average, it's not the best, but far from the worst. You'll be able to get a decent night's sleep.

Cons
1. Kinda dirty - While the sheets, towels, and pillows where all clean, the bathroom left a lot to be desired. The shower in my room was in desperate need of cleaning, there was a ton of mold on the grout. There were also rust stains on some of the tile where the handrail is. Also, the first I was given (407), reeked of smoke and had yellowed wallpaper and curtains. It was super gross, but the staff moved me to another room that was clean and smoke free.
2. Dark - I applaud Hilton for changing to energy efficient bulbs, and the room is OK, but when I showered, I felt like I was in a cave.
3. Older property - Things just feel very worn. The carpet had a few spots on it, the furniture was a little beat up, just very well used. Not what I'd expect from a business class hotel, and not what I'd expect from a DoubleTree.
4. Noisy - Because this is a tower hotel, the floors are on the smaller side, so you're likely to be either near a noisy elevator, or a noisy ice machine. Soundproofiing is minimal.
5. Paid Wi-Fi - I haven't paid for Internet access at a hotel for several years (across all types of hotels from luxury to motels), and it felt like I was going back in the dark ages when I connected and was asked how I wanted to pay for wireless access. This is so 2004 and the property needs to get with the times.

So all in all, not a terrible hotel, but there are better choices in Jersey City. Certainly not up to par with what I've come to expect from the DoubleTree brand.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the elevators and ice machine, both are noisy and you will definitely here the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and I do apologize that we fell short of exceeding your expectations. I will certainly share and review your comments with the appropriate department heads. I do hope you allow us another opportunity to regain your trust should your travels take you back our way, as your noted experience is certainly an anomaly. Thank you again for your patronage and hope to see you return.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I little disappointed about the rooms especially the bed sheet it seems that they dont replace it for weeks... excellent front desk, house keeping. very nice location near the mall and train going to city..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and glad you found the location and staff excellent. Would appreciate if you could expand on your comment about the bed sheet. Please feel free to send me a note at jim.salvo@hilton.com so we may discuss further. Hope to see you return soon.
Canton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in September, 2012 while visiting family and seeing the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The area around the hotel seemed safe - though the only walking around we did was to go to the Chilis 2 blocks away for dinner. The rooms were very nice and the free breakfast was very good.
Driving in New Jersey (and New York) is fairly stressful if you are not used to it, so when we arrived we were fairly stressed out and rethinking our decision to add this part of our trip... When we asked the front desk what the easiest way was to get to Liberty State Park for our ferry trip the following morning, they suggested a taxi... We took them up on their idea and were pleasantly surprised the next morning to find that it was actually a private car... For $20 each way we were taken directly to the ferry location, and the driver even gave us his cell phone number so when we were on the ferry coming back, we called him and he was waiting for us when we disembarked the ferry. Not having to deal with the stress of driving was well worth that cost and we were very grateful to the hotel staff for suggesting it.
We did not venture into Manhattan, but could see it right across the river.. so I imagine this hotel would be very convenient for sightseeing over there also.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to see a couple of local sites. Hope to see you return soon!
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked a full city view at this place. Not bad, room came with tv, air con, bathtub, coffee and tea. Very nice, receptionist was friendly, 5 minutes walk to Path to New york. I liked the area, you can get to New York in half an hour. Doesn't have much parking for temporary stops had to pay 10 dollars to park it there for a while which was illogical but all in all the city view was nice, the bed... simply awesome

Room Tip: 1 thing to remember this stop is also called Pavonia! not just Newark sheesh! not sure why they did...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to post your review and glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please keep us in mind should your travels take you back our way.
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

DoubleTree in Jersey City is in a prime location for visiting Manhattan. There is a Path station a block down the street which takes you directly into the city within 5-10 minutes. The rooms at the hotel are average, very clean and comfortable. The pillows are the softest you will ever find! Yet, above all this, the reason for my 5 star rating is the service we received at the front desk from Felix. He was extremely friendly, helpful with finding us transportation to/from Metlife Stadium and the airport, helped us with our bags, and gave some great advice on finding the best Bakery in NYC. I can't recommend this hotel enough!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for the review and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Happy to hear that Felix took such good care of you. Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City? Share your experiences!