“Night car racing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 11 hotels in Jersey City
Ottawa, Canada
“Night car racing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is decent, however, at night, there are cars racing outside on the street, which is horrible because the noise is too loud and it doesn't let one sleep. In addition, the front desk has a bullet-proof glass, which makes one concern about the safety in the neighborhood. Other than that, the hotel is not bad.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Parry G, Manager at Econo Lodge Jersey City, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear SergMP,

Thank you for taking the time to post review regarding your previous stay at our hotel.

Manager
Econo Lodge

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was a late arrival, the older gentleman at the front desk was extremely rude and commented on my late arrival. I called early in the evening informing them that would not arrive until after midnight, regardless the way the spoke AT me was completely un-called for. The room had not been maintained well at all, the collected dust in corners and fixtures was ridiculous. Never again......I would feel much safer and more comfortable in my car - even in Jersey City

Room Tip: Go to the comfort inn suites in North Bergen......very nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

we stayed here for one night with a friend. all i can say is that this hotel needs a lot of cleaning.every section smells very bad.front desk person does not know what a good customer service is.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

the guy in the front desk the rudest, nasty, un polite I was there on 1/7/2012 i will never come back they should close that place smells and no heat it was cold.

I will report this to consumers affairs.

stay away sleep in your car

Room Tip: no comments
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

The guy at desk is the rudest, meanest, grumpiest unhelpful person I have met in a very long time.

The word dirty doesnt even begin to describe how nasty the place was. I was scared to sleep on the mattress. Lucky for me, I was tired after an entire day of sitting around in the airport (flight cancellations due to weather)

Dont go here. You've been warned.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed there only because on 10/29/11 Newark Airport canceled all domestic flights due to the unexpected snow, and all near-by hotels were booked. So I was recommended by http://www.hotels-rates.com/ over the phone from airport for this hotel since nothing else left. Yet, it ended with a big nightmare to me. Because:

1. Very unfriendly service. No matter what I asked, the front desk always answered "I don't know." Very bad manner. Besides, no elevator in this hotel, not convenient, when you had to carry heavy luggage to upstairs without help.

2. Room looks OK. But heard kids screaming from next door whole night. Hard to sleep in this condition.

3. They didn't clean the driveway that covered with snow over night. Thus, It was hard for me to walk though the slippery driveway with heavy luggage to the taxi waiting in the street, when I checked out next morning. No help at all !

4. I called back next day and asked if they found my left behind clothes in bathroom? Again, the front desk told me "I don't know". "Call back tomorrow, asking for housekeeping manger." So I did. But she said "Maybe one of the housekeeping ladies took it or throw out. That's out off our control !"

I will not go back there again for sure.

Room Tip: Stay away from this one.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here due to power outages caused by the October 2011 storm. The hotel is in a pretty rough area - I looked at Yelp reviews of a nearby bar/restaurant which mentioned prostitutes and guys carrying knives.

I had a terrible night's sleep - first a man and a woman's voices next door were more than audible through the walls - when I went to front desk to complain (at 11pm) I was told they would be checking out soon, and indeed they did (checking out at 11pm? Hmmm. Wonder what that "couple" we're up to). Then at 3:15am some guys turned up and were shouting in reception, which woke me up. If you stay here, make sure you don't get a room on the same floor as reception, and bring ear plugs.

The room itself was what you'd expect at an Econolodge and for the price. Was surprised to see it had a CRT TV though - come on Econolodge, flat screen TVs are so cheap now it's time to upgrade.

The shower curtain didn't smell too good but the bathroom was clean.

The staff were fine but I was surprised the guy I spoke to couldnt tell me a SINGLE place to get a meal nearby (I later found a Wendy's and a Taco Bell up the road).

Free parking but the inability to make turns across Tonnele Ave is a pain.

Only stay here if you are on a tight budget, and expect to get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Econo Lodge Jersey City? Share your experiences!