“Clearly for Filipino Food craving” 3 of 5 stars

+1 201-798-2700
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Max's of Manila is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #139 of 505 Restaurants in Jersey City
Cuisines: Filipino, Pan-Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining style: Home Style
Description: In 1945, after World War II, Maximo Gimenez, a Stanford-educated teacher, befriended American troops stationed at Quezon City, Philippines. A few of the soldiers would come to his house for a drink or two. Eventually they insisted that they pay for their meals. It was then that Maximo decided to open a cafe that served chicken, steak and drinks. To help him with the cafe, his wife Mercedes, and his sister-in-law Felipe, joined him there together with her niece Ruby, who managed the kitchen with her husband, Claro. It was Ruby who created a special recipe for chicken, which was so delicious, tender, juicy and crispy that the G.I.S coming back for more. Soon enough, it became a legend with the Filipino public too. Encouraged by her mother to expand the menu and serve more Filipino food, Ruby set up a restaurant along Roxas Boulevard in the Baclaran district of Paranaque. It was decided that the restaurant would be named "Max's", which was Maximo's nickname. Over the years, Max's Restaurants grew in popularity and became known as "The House That Fried Chicken Built." Max's now operates over a hundred restaurants all over the Philippines. Max's aims to be a competitive international brand, and has expanded its operations to other countries overseas as well. It now has branches in North America (the first was opened in 1982) and the Middle East. We will continue to broaden our reach as we open new restaurants around the world in the years to come.
Manila, Philippines
“Clearly for Filipino Food craving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

So my friend toured me around Jersey and since I've been staying for a month then in the US, I was craving for Filipino food. He drove over to Jersey City where there are lots of Filipino restaurants that branched out. It was such a good feeling to hear people speaking in Tagalog in a foreign country so I am glad my friend brought me here. It was a quite a wait since it was a Sunday and the resto is full.

I saw around that there is a Red Ribbon and a grocery of Filipino stuff.

After we got out seats, we ordered Kare Kare and good ol sisig.

It was well to satisfy my cravings then :)

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cebu City, Philippines
“Put it all in Fryer..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Mabuhay!! If you are craving to try some Filipino dishes and or is a someone from the Philippines who misses native Filipino food this is the place to visit. Max's of manila is long established Filipino restaurant in the Philippines. In the Philippines, especially in the Manila area, I have always been impressed by their level of service and tasty food. I will always remember how the staff in the Philippines made sure to follow up on my order and make sure it was correct.

Now in Jersey City, is one of their restaurants and I must say the dining experience is just as pleasant. The food is good in presentation and taste. A place definitely worth adding to your list of places to visit if you are in the mood for Filipino food.

Although they are known for their fried chicken, I am personally a fan of the crispy pata.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lee, New Jersey
“Food was cold”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Max is always been my favorite restaurant. So when they open in Jersey City, i was so happy. The first experienced was good except the service. The second and third experienced was very disappointing and consistent. We waited for like 10 mins before the server came over and took the order. When the food arrived it wasnt hot at all. It seems that the food was just sitting there. The only hot or i should say warm was the chicken. Its frustrating coz when you crave for kare kare and lumpiang ubod you should have the best tasting food esp from Max and youre paying for it. What ashame?? We left note on the 2nd visit that food was cold and still we got the same thing on our third visit. I would rather cook and not come back to Max anymore. Very poor management. They just up to making money but not paying attention to consumers constructive criticism.

Visited February 2014
Hackettstown, New Jersey
“Love it! But”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I love the food here, everything from soup to desert. We usually order a "Table for 5 - B" and then add a couple of dishes. My only complaint is the sometimes lackluster service; sometimes the cashier or waitstaff act as if they are doing you a favor by doing their jobs, it's a little disappointing.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Exotic and Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

It is good for the adventurous and sophisticated palate if you know what to order. Prices are moderate, the place is cozy and clean; they are very accommodating and welcoming to their patrons.

Visited November 2013