“Good food, terrible service” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 508 Restaurants in Jersey City
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Description: So good! I live across the street from this place and was hungry so I decided to check it out with my boyfriend. The place that was there before was not good at all. It is a new restaurant with new owners. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. The appetizers Empanadas and trio of Monfongos are freaking to die for. I am not of Puerto Rican decent but I have seen the light of what I have been missing. The Entrees were equally as tasty, my boyfriend had the pork and I had the chicken with Aji Verde sauce. So yummy , the owner calls this his money sauce, which could not be any further from the truth. I know online their menu was like family style but that is a typo they serve single entrees. I was a chef for over ten years before I got into food sales. I know my food! This place is a diamond in the rough excellent.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Good food, terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014 NEW

Food was ok, plantains were very good.waitress was awful.first she said I could get the chicken with any sauce, then she rudely said the chef would not allow anything other than the spicy sauce.Then we had a long wait for our food and had to call the manager.The waitress had a terrible attitude.

Jersey City, NJ
“Quaint and Personal Dining!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2014

This was like visiting the home of your best friend's grandmother during your vacation in Puerto Rico, PRICELESS!! The food was excellent without parsley garnishes, but it was top rate dishes, and I personally love the quaint small space! I truly felt like I was at a family dinner. If you are expecting to walk into a posh, roomy, upscale restaurant, you have come to the wrong place!

P.S. Reservations are highly recommended!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jersey City, New Jersey
“mediocre at best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2014

i wanted to go here after seeing the positive reviews. the seating was cramped and food was passable but did not deserve 4 stars. needless to say, i was disappointed. what made it worse was that it took me a while to find parking here. not coming back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
NYC
“Not overly impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

Having eaten authentic puerto rican cuisine, I will say that most likely my expectations were set way too high. But : here it is soup to nuts:
Ambiance- descending few steps into a very small dining room- nothing fancy but def friendly and clean. The walls were adorned with pics of Transylvania castles and stills, which was pretty funny given that I was actually born there . NOT what u expect in a Latin restaurant as far as decor.
Food: the appetizer sampler was all deep fried typical dishes (empanadas, Chicharron de pollo). Nothing to write home about but not bad. The mofongo was good passed my in laws test but again nothing impressive. My hubby had the bistec encebollado which was prob best choice at the table. Pernil was good too. Definitely generous portions on every main course. VERY disappointing how many things they ran out of at 3 pm on a Sunday. No alcapurias, no tres leche cake -oh yeah! And no coffee after 2 pm.. The explanation ( albeit very polite and contrite ) made no sense : no coffee after 2 pm cause they are BYOB.. Huh?
Service: extremely friendly and courteous. Hard to get mad that so many things were not available.
Overall:
If in neighborhood, give it a shot but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
Oh yeah street parking only -in a highly populated area. Buen provecho!

Middletown, New Jersey
“Best Empanadas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

Stopped in for lunch after walk along Liberty State Park. The staff is friendly and helped with menu choices. The beef empanadas with cilantro dipping sauce are outstanding! The portions on all the entrees are huge. Restaurant is close to the corner of the block, but a little hard to spot while driving. Circled back and found it. Definitely worth it. Great food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to ME Casa? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage ME Casa, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.