“What a view!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wicklow
“What a view!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my husband and I as it was our first time visiting New York/ New Jersey and It looked like a lovely hotel on all the websites. The location really sold it to us with views of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhatten Skyline. I have to say that we were not disappointed, although we did request to change rooms when we arrived at the hotel. We got a room on the first floor but we were very uncomfortable with all the joggers going past our window. Now we live in the middle of the Wicklow Mountains so that would have wreaked our heads entirely!!!!! My advice to anyone staying at this hotel would be to request a room on a higher level, at least the 4th floor and you won't be disappointed. Anyway, the lovely receptionist promptly moved us to a higher floor and we were delighted. I'd highly recommend this hotel if you are taking a trip to New York yet you don't want to be in the madness of Manhatten 24/7. I have to congratulate all the staff in the hotel as being second to none in terms of their first class service and professionalism. Breakfast was super and again the service sublime!!!!! I also loved the fact that you could just pop down to the lobby and grab a starbucks coffee to go if you didn't want a full breakfast which could work out to be very pricey for an extended stay ( there is a great deli behind the hotel and a lovely deck to sit on and watch the world go by with your coffee and a croissant....). The Restaurant Vu is also super but quite expensive, having said that, we did feel like millionaires dining out with that view, well worth it for one night of the holiday. I'd like to recommend Bertucci's Brick oven for something cheap and cheerful otherwise ( fab food, wine, pizza and service on the Newport Path stop or a 15 minute walk north of the Hyatt, near the Westin Hotel). All in all a fantastic break in one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. Congratulations to the Hyatt on the Hudson, you did not disappoint!!!! We hope to be back, Joan and Kevin

• Stayed May 2013
HyattJerseyCity, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jersey City, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Joan and Kevin,

Thank you for your amazing review! So happy that you felt like millionaires during your stay. Please contact us when you plan on returning so we can look for you!

Kind Regards,

Megan Gederian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
wilmington, de
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Spectacular views of lower Manhattan with easy access into that part of the city. The hotel is situated right on the river and overlooks the World Trade Center and lower Manhattan. The public area of the hotel is nice and well kept. You can take in the views of New York from the restaurant, lounge or common area's.
Our room was on the 4th floor and had an obstructed view due to the buildings facade. We could look out and see partial views of the river towards the Statue of Liberty. Please do not be fooled about views of the Statue, it is so far in the distance it's very difficult to make out. The room itself was decent but far from great. The furniture was in ok shape but the windows were filthy making our already poor view even worse.
In the bathroom is where I had the biggest issue. There is a vent in the shower area and it had significant mold on it. The maid staff came twice during our stay and nothing changed. They clearly had no intentions of cleaning.
In addition to the mold, I ended up being served nearly raw pan seared chicken at dinner in the Vu Restaurant.
Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with my stay. The hotel is in a great location and has very simple access to lower Manhattan (World Trade Center, Wall Street) and as far north as 33rd st via the PATH right next to the hotel. The view cant be beat the the hotel can do better whether it's in their rooms or the dining experience. In the end, I would pay the extra money and stay up towards Central Park for the experience.

Room Tip: request a high floor, the 4th floor has obstructed views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

With the gorgeous location of this hotel, I has such high hopes. I'm a Hyatt loyalist, and I needed a place to stay 2 nights a week for 8 weeks during a project. I cancelled all future reservations here after my first stay.

First, the room was filthy. Permanent and disgusting stains on the carpet and sofa. The pillowcases were ~filthy~ and had to be changed. The remote to the tv barely worked. When my room was made up by housekeeping they removed all of my soaps and shampoos and left no new ones. Bizarre.

I had package messengered to me at the hotel. Took them an hour to find it and get it to me. Then they charged me a service fee. Disputed it and was told it would be removed. It was still on my bill at checkout.

The restaurant service was terrible at breakfast. Forgot an item I ordered and didn't apologize.

Not worth it. Too many other options.

Westchestertravel,

I hate to hear that you have cancelled all your future reservations based off your first terrible experience. Please feel free to contact me directly at megan.gederian@hyatt.com so we can try to rectify the situation. We certainly do not want to lose you and would love to discuss more. Hope to hear from you soon!

Kind Regards,

Megan Gederian
BROOKLYN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This first class hotel offers large rooms and courteous service. It's proximity to the PATH train (into Manhattan) is ideal. The lobby is a large open space and the ballroom on the top floor gives a great view of Manhattan. It's not cheap , but seems to be worth the few extra dollars.

Room Tip: rooms on the higher floors give a better view of Manhattan.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed 4 nights over St. Patrick's Day weekend. As stated in the title, from check-in to check-out we had a great experience! We arrived earlier than planned and feared that we wouldn't be able to get in to our room to freshen up before hitting the city for St. Patrick's Day, but were plesantly surprised when not only was our room ready, but Megan G. at the front desk had upgraded our room! Off and running, the surprises kept coming. After having told Megan that this was or first trip away together after having been married and a newborn baby, she made the extra effort to ensure a memorable stay. Chocolate & champagne, turn down service, a beautiful breakfast and helpful ideas for activities and "must see's" during our stay, she really surpassed her responsibility to us the guest by truly making our stay a special one. The location of the property is ideal if you plan on spending time in NYC, as others note, it's a quick stop away on the Path; easy access to the city without the dowtown hotel price tag, a great value. We're already looking forward to making this an annual destination and will most certainly be staying with Megan G. and the rest of our new friends at the Hyatt Regency Jersey City! Thanks for the memories!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 7 nights at this great hotel so handy to the PATH trains at your door step and just across the river from downtown Manhattan . Rooms , food, service was suberb. Gym and pool was a great add on and meals that was supplied to the seminar I attended was just great. Would definitely visit again .

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during a good friend's Wedding. We loved the location and the views, but the staff truly set it apart. Everyone was friendly and went out of their way to greet us. We had an issue with our room, given the wrong beds, but that was corrected instantly and with a smile after a quick call to the front desk. They also honored an early-check in since we were in the Wedding party and got to the hotel before check-in time. Specifically, Megan and Liza at the front desk were wonderful.

The staff was also superb throughout the Wedding, often asking if we needed anything and checking in on our entire group. The food and ballroom at the Wedding were also great. Breakfast the next morning was nice, but nothing special (except the pancakes!).

The bed was comfortable, room was clean, gym and pool were both very nice. I don't know many hotels that are truly worth $300+ a night outside the city, but at the rate we paid for the Wedding, we were very happy!

Room Tip: The higher floors on the front end of the hotel are best, but you'll have a decent/good view of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Jersey City? Share your experiences!