“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in Jersey City
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here for 8 nights whilst on a job in the area. My first room faced the back of the hotel - which has a light rail line running quite near. (all odd numbered rooms)I really like a quiet hotel room, and found the noise disturbing. My first request the next morning to be relocated to the other side of the hotel was met with "nothing is available for the entire remainder of my stay" . A second request that evening to another staff member was met with "sure, we can move you tomorrow morning" - very inconsistent service. I felt that the first member thought I was being difficult, and wasn't trying to accommodate me The new room (eight floor) had a great view over the Hudson the the Manhattan Skyline.(even numbered room)Overall, with the exception of Dan & VJ, I did not find the front desk staff here were very friendly. Overall, I though the room was good, very clean, the bed was very comfortable, kitchen was basic, but well equipped. The TV was well located. I appreciated being able to open the windows a few inches. Whilst the air conditioning unit worked well, it was fairly noisy.
Ithought this hotel was well located, and would work well as a base for exploring the New York Area. It was very close to light rail, path station, and ferry. there was a grocery store (shop rite ) in reasonable walking distance, and a Target not much further. It was also close (reasonable walking distance) to a generic mall. I enjoyed walking just a block then along the Hudson River waterfront.
Overall, even though it is located just on the outskirts of Jersey City downtown, it was a n easy area to drive around, and very close to the entrance of the Holland Tunnel if you were crazy enough to want to drive into Manhattan.
I found the hallways tended to get quite warm, and this may be worse in summer - but, rooms remained cook with AC unit.
I also did notice the cooking smell/Indian food downstairs near the elevator - I assumed this was a staff common room - and did not bother me.
There is no restaurant or room service available, I thought it would have been nice to have information to more local places that delivered.

Room Tip: Rooms on the "city side" - even numbered are preferred - a higher floor (6-8), with a lowe...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
gmcandlewoodjc, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your feedback that you have provided. I am glad that we were able to meet your request with a room move during your stay and that you were happy with our hotel for your travel needs. We hope that you will select our hotel again if your plans bring you back to the Jersey City area in the future.

278 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Minot, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights in the Candlewood Suites Jersey City NJ. I was visiting my son who lives in the city while working on a contracting job nearby. I also planned several days trips into Manhattan for the theatre, shopping and sightseeing.
I found the hotel common area clean and tastefully decorated. Our suite had one good sized bedroom, one spacious bathroom and a large open area with living room containing a sofa bed and a fully equipped kitchen. I found the rooms to be clean, spacious and nicely furnished. The hotel staff were all very helpful in answering our questions and providing extra services we needed. The hotel was located only a ten minute walk to the Newport NJ/NY PATH station and the hotel provided a free shuttle bus ride there which was welcomed. There is a very nice mall, the Newport Mall, located only a few minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel is located in a very clean and safe area of Jersey City. There were a few restaurants close enough to walk to in the area as well.

My experience at this hotel was close to a perfect one. My only complaint was that the heating/air conditioning unit was a bit noisy and was difficult to control. The fan constantly ran no matter what temperature you set the unit at.

I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hello,
Thak you for your recent stay at our hotel with your family and for providing your feeback. While I am very happy that you stated that your stay was a near perfect one, we strive to have everyone that stays at our hotel leave 100% satisfied. I am sorry that you had some concerns with the air condition unit being a bit loud. We have checked into this and it appears to be operatiing properly. We hope that you will select our hotel again as your home away from home if your travel plans bring you back to the Jersey City area in the future.
Markham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend from May 31 to June 2, not a very pleasant experience.

A little back story, I stayed here on new year's eve in 2011 for 3 nights, the experience was not too bad, and we noticed the common area in the hotel has a very strong odour (personally it smells a lot like curry), but the room that we stayed in (in December 2011) was consider clean and odour free.

So this time when I decided to go back, with the expectation of a somewhat similar experience, we were quite disappointed.

We reserved 2 rooms in the hotel (my sister's family, and mine), both were located on the third floor. The moment we stepped out of the elevator on the third floor, it was extremely warm (completely different from the lobby's temperature), and the nightmare begins when we open the door to my room.

As soon as we open the door to our room, we were welcomed by a gust of same odour (the curry smell), and the whole room smells like that, even the bed sheets. My wife decided to open the windows and max out the air conditioning as an effort to eliminate the smell, but we weren't successful. To make matter worst, the washroom is unclean, and there were dirt/removable stain in the bathtub.

We went downstairs (both nights) to request a room change, only was told that the hotel was fully booked that night (i didn't verify, however the parking lot of at least half empty, i would expect the parking to be at least half full in an hotel with 5 stories), the made a note the first night, however the second night was "full" as well.

We had to cover our nose for most of the night with some clean laundry, therefore my wife and I couldn't really get much rest for these two nights; looking back, it might've been better if we cancelled the second night reservation and stayed in a different hotel.

Why hit or miss? My sister's room was not as stinky as ours, however, their air conditioning didn't work, and was told that that's the lowest temperature it could go (funny thing is the a/c in my room is extremely cold)

And i just realized they start charging for their parking (this is not a complaint, more like a FYI, i just didn't read the fine prints as this policy was effective in january 2013), however I personally think that this was a good incentive to stay in this hotel, and parking in, say westin, nearby is a bit more.

In conclusion, I probably won't stay here again as you don't know what type of rooms you are going to end up staying in, and i think there are better deals in this area for 15 or 20 dollars more per night.

Room Tip: Not sure how you can choose a good room, but since my bad experience is on the third, try to avoid t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear cng27,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced. I appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Lets start with the good bit...the price at about $230 nightly was reasonable.The room,bath and living area were okay, but the sheer lack of courtesy and decency shown by the front desk was disgusting. As a platinum member of PRIORITYCLUB, I was horrified when I was advised i was going to be charged half a day's rate for a checkout for even a minute past two pm ...Checkout was supposed to be twelve midday! And this on a Friday afternoon with the hotel facing a quiet weekend! I had a broken shoulder and ribs from a ten-day-previous riding accident so was in no position to assert myself physically with the smooth-talking front desk manager either, he deserved more than my quiet acceptance of his lousy terms! And this after staying three nights without a single courtesy afforded to me for my membership status! NO cleaning service, no fresh towels or soap, no refill of coffee sachets, no person at the front desk much of the time! This is quite sincerely the WORST hotel I have ever lived at, the management attitude ensured that! A blot on the otherwise good name of IHG hotels!! I have reviewed tons of hotels on TRIPADVISOR without ever giving a terrible rating,( or even a poor!) this is a sad first for me!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear gammo,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Jersey City.

Orlando A.
Minsk, Belarus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Ordinary hotel with almost nothing to remember, good point is to have studios with kitchen, but it's all positive about it. The rest is pretty ordinary staff. In some rooms there is a great view on Manhattan, but that's all good about it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Oleg O,

I appreciate your feedback about our property. I am pleased that you found the kitchen in our rooms to be good for your needs. We take all feedback seriously, and your additional comments will be used to further enhance on what we can offer.

Again, many thanks for the review and we hope you give us a chance in the future to host you again.

Regards,

Pam G
St louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stay at this hotel at least once a year. I like the convenience of being able to park the car and walk half a mile to the PATH station and be in Manhattan in 10-20 minutes. Takes some of the hassle of city traffic and parking off. Rooms are always clean and staff is courteous.
The only thing is that they started charging $10 a day for parking but it is still a steal compared to what you have to pay in the city to park.

København
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for three days in May, and we where very satisfied with the hotel.

The rooms are big, and it is not a problem to stay 3 people in the room. There is a small kitchen and a refrigerator, which is very nice as well.

The rooms where clean and the reception was helpfull if we had questions.

The only thing people should be aware, is that it is very diffecult to get a taxi from New York to New Jersey. Some of the Taxi we asked, where not willing to go over the bridge. Therefore I suggest that you land in Newark in stead of LaGuardia as we did.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Jersey City? Share your experiences!