“CLOSED” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Azucar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 508 Restaurants in Jersey City
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Newport Waterfront
Transit: PATH train stop is Newport Lightrail stop is Newport/Pavonia
Description: In the booming Newport area of Jersey City, Azucar offers an escape from the surrounding corporate jungle to the carefree world of 1950s Havana. Inside, robust palm trees and Cuban nostalgia set the scene for a tropical getaway. On Thurs-Sat nights, a live band or DJ in the lounge plays all varieties of Latin music and engages guests to show off their dance moves or relax while enjoying flavorful mojitos. The center of attention is the traditional Cuban cuisine, prepared expertly by Vazquez and his loyal staff. Vazquez's attention to detail and authenticity result in dishes that make his mother proud. Upstairs is the only smoking lounge in Hudson County, a cozy enclave with dark wood paneling, deep couches, a full bar and cigar humidor, and tables for dominos and chess. Also available are a VIP room and a private party space. In season, the outdoor patio offers views of nearby Manhattan. Although you can't enter Cuba legally, a trip to Azucar certainly comes close.
Jersey City, NJ
“CLOSED”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

Sorry to say but as of September 2014 this place suddenly closed.
Not sure why because the food was good and it always seemed busy. Guessing the rent got too high but let's see how long it stays empty. My guess is for a long time.......

Visited September 2014

New Providence, New Jersey
“A good time playing dominoes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Really good time. Went for happy hour with some clients and found this place to be a lot of fun ... Great mojitos and lively service. Had some Cuban pork sandwiches...really good. Playing dominoes with the waitress and bartender was fun. My buddy and I had a great time.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good; not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We decided to eat here one night after a day shopping in Manhattan. Our family loves Cuban food, and eat it whenever we can when we are traveling. The atmosphere was too dark. The smoke coming from the Cigar Bar upstairs was unpleasant as it drifted down into the restaurant; I have to admit I hate smoke of any kind and had we known, we would have avoided the place altogether. Maybe it was so strong because of the popularity of the cigar bar. I started with a half pitcher of peach sangria, which was pretty good. For my meal, I had Ropa Vieja, black beans and sweet plantains. The food was good, but I didn't find it anywhere close to as good as I've had elsewhere. My wife had the roasted pork, which was served in huge chunks that she ended up sharing with my son and I. My son had a version of chicken fried steak, which he enjoyed. We shared a coconut flan for dessert and found it to be pretty good. The service was pretty good, we just could have had a much more pleasurable experience if we hadn't had to deal with the smoke.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tribune, Kansas
“Cuban experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Our last night in the NYC area we were worn out and chose this restaurant because it was right by our hotel. I had never eaten Cuban food, so it was a nice experience. I ordered the chicken fried chicken and there was literally enough for 3-4 people!!! It has a nice atmosphere as well. I wouldn't make a special trip to eat here.... but it certainly was a good choice for weary travelers!

Visited July 2014
Freehold, New Jersey
“Good, quick lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I've been to Azucar several times for lunch and thoroughly enjoy their Cuban special with black bean soup. The food is good, the price is good and for lunch the meal has always been served very quickly to get you back on your way.

Separately, there have been times that I've been to the bar and it's taken a very long time to order and get drink orders--not from wait staff but standing at the bar itself! There are so many choices within a small proximity that it hasn't been worth my while to go back and give them a second (actually, third!) chance on that. For drinks, I'd rather go to Dorrian's or if you're looking for someplace a little classier then go the other direction to Fire and Oak.

• Visited June 2014