“The rooms are getting very tired” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Jersey City
Boston, Massachusetts
“The rooms are getting very tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

My last stay at the Westin Jersey City was a total disappointment. This is probably one of the worst Westin's i have ever stayed. Fortunately the staff is very friendly and helpful.
The furniture is old and shows its age: missing pulls, doors not closing, scratched furniture stained fabrics.
The light level is too low.
The bathroom seems to have been partially renovated with new tile on the tub surround and vanity. The rest is original. One of the bathroom wall sconces fell off the wall.
The bed was as comfortable as usual.
The TV's are up for an upgrade.
The minibars are empty and you are supposed to use the old "intelligent minibar" which has slots for bottles as your fridge. Not a great experience. I will not return until this place is renovated.
The late night room service is not acceptable. The menu is limited 4 items. They may as well say they don't have room service after 10:30pm.
The lobby and public spaces seem to have been renovated and it is probably great for meetings and weddings.

Room Tip: I had room facing east with a view of Manhattan and the Empire State Bldg. Good view.
Green Features: The hotel has the master switch for power which is a great feature.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Hello Karen S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you encountered during you stay with us. Please be assured that I have forwarded your comments to our engineering and housekeeping teams so they may look into these further. I have forwarded you comment regarding out late night menu to our management team so that they may look further so that they may look into the concerns mentioned.

Please feel free reach out to me at Bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that I may look further into your reservation.

Thank you again for your feedback and loyalty. We hope to have an opportunity to welcoming you back for a stay that meets your expectations. I would be delighted to personally assist you during your stay. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any concerns.

Executive Assistant to the General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Berkshire,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

It is a typical Westin, very much the norm (for me this is good). It location is good, we got to Newark ealry in the morning Sunday within 10-15mins, it was very easy. This part of Jersey is new, clean and relaxing. My kids liked this place a lot after a lot of travelling prior to arriving here.

The lobby bar was super busy, and Fire and Oak was not great, but otherwise, once aways from the noise it is a typical & good Westin.

We needed to be closer to Newark for an early moring flight. At check in the doorman sorted out the car, the front desk sorted wake-up calls and helped us plan the morning. The desk staff & doorman were exceptional. We truly felt taken care of.

I love Westin beds and bedding, these were the usual high standard. We had 2 queen sized beds and slept well as the room was quiet, near the end of the hall away from the elevators. The bathroom was a good size with a strong hot shower, we all liked that after a long day touring NY city.

Kids loved the pool - it is a good family pool but may be hard to do laps if kids are around. The gym was workable and th Westin Fit was a good touch ($5 and you get the entire workout kit for the day).

Free WIFI in lobby, i think it is $16 in the room, this is why the lobby is packed with people on their tablets, phones and laptops. I joined the crowd and the lobby wifi was good enough for me.

Even though this is a bit further out from EWR, I will likely use this hotel again when flying out of there as I like the property and the location better than Newark hotels I have previously stayed at.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hello Danomites,

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with our staff. I am delighted to hear that our hotels location perfect for your trip to NY/NJ and you were able to enjoy our hotel’s amenities.

Thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming soon for refreshing stay and providing you with the consistent service you deserve.

Tribune, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We ended up staying in Jersey City at the Westin for our latest trip to NYC. It had a Path train just a couple of blocks away. About a 10-15 minute walk away was the Ferry over to the WTC area. My granddaughter loved the Ferry. The room was comfortable but what was very impressive was the service. If we needed ANYTHING, it was taken care of immediately. My only reservation about this hotel was that I didn't have any kind of view of the NYC skyline and it was inconvenient going back and forth. It would have been easier to stay right in the City.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The trip to New York city and stay at The Westing Jersey City was fabulaous. The hotel is just "wow" for kids. The pool was so relaxing after day long trip in New York City. Food, Drink and room service is great... planning to stay then go for it...my 2 thumbs up.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. Is an easy way when you want to go to New York City. The hotel is a very short walk to the Path train that will take you into 33rd street (Times square) or into the world trade center (lower Manhattan). The rooms were spacious and clean, love the bed. Staff was very attentive. and overall had a pleasant stay. We would stay again

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Hello MariaMercedez,

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with our staff. I am delighted to hear that our hotels location perfect for your trip to NY/NJ.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and I would definitely return again. Upon arriving (early nonetheless) I was given a friendly greeting and allowed to check in immediately. The public areas of the hotel were very clean and modern looking. The elevators are secured with your room key and operate very efficiently. Upon arriving at my room I found it to be clean and proper. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the size of the room was good. The location of the hotel is great, with a PATH train station one block away that allows easy access to Manhattan.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Bhumika B, Executive Assitant at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Hello ptconner,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at hour hotel. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests.

Cumberland, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights beginning August 1, 2014 with my husband and two sons. We were greeted by the valet staff who immediately took charge of our vehicle and luggage. Check in was quick and easy. Within minutes of our arrival we were greeted with a welcome tray of cake pops (which the kids loved), a dessert glass of mixed nuts, bottles of water and a bottle of Cabernet. Our room was a standard room with two double beds. It was spacious and clean. We had a fridge which made it nice for keeping waters and sodas cold. The bathroom was clean with a rain shower. My only complaint regarding the rooms was the lack of vanity lighting in the bathroom. The lightening was not conducive to applying make-up...this may sound trivial but it is something that is important to me. The pool was a lap pool but a decent size and my younger son thoroughly enjoyed himself. The pool was clean and there were always fresh towels available. There was a whirlpool tub as well. I was not impressed with the cleanliness of the whirlpool and in fact, my husband said it was rather dirty when he finally witnessed someone cleaning it. We did not eat any meals in the hotel. The restaurant looked attractive but I cannot say that I saw many people eating there. There is also a bar that never had more than a few people at it. There is a mall adjacent to the hotel and well within walking distance that we went to for shopping and for dining as we were traveling with youngsters. It is also within walking distance to the PATH which provides great service, traffic free into NYC. We were impressed with the attentiveness of the staff and overall had a pleasant stay. We would stay again.

Room Tip: rooms above the 6th floor (we were on the 15) require you to insert your key in the elevator in orde...
Green Features: Think it is a great idea! If you choose to NOT have your linens changed while you are there, you either receive rewards points or a 5.00 off voucher for meals in the restaurant. You simply hang the placard on your door handle before 2:00 a.m.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Westin Jersey City, Newport? Share your experiences!