“A great birthday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 hotels in Jersey City
Montreux
“A great birthday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My parents wanted to spend my mom's 71st b-day in NY. because i was not able to attend, i sent and email to reservations department of the hotel asking them to prepare her a small cake and a card, or something like that, at first i was not sure if they would respond, but they did, in a matter of 2 days i was able to get in contact with Mr. DIGON who is part of the concierge team, he was kind and very helpful gave me a choice of small details that they could do for her, they even wrote a letter in another language as it was written by hand. This are small details that make the difference between a hotel and another, it is not how much you spend on the room, or the rating, it is always about the human touch and that is why i think this hotel is great!.

My whole family had a great stay, they enjoyed the facilities of the hotel, the friendliness of the staff, it was clean and overall a 4.5 out of 5. Thank you Westin, specially Mr Digon.

Room Tip: Get in contact with Mr Digon or the concierge team.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Leslie T, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear jizch84,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We pride ourselves on our guest services and are always delighted to hear such wonderful feedback. I am glad that one of our Concierge team members was able to assist in making your mother's birthday celebration more enjoyable and that your family enjoyed their stay with us.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you for a stay soon.

Leslie Thompson

882 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here August/Sept 2013, having visited on 4 previous occasions. Premium Room for 6 night stay, with what would have been a beautiful view of Manhattan, had I been able to see past the greasy finger and head marks on the windows from previous guests. I did report this to the hotel staff at the reception desk, but they chose not to clean the windows before I left, Perhaps the marks are still there?

On to the reception staff...there is nothing more frustrating than getting to your room on the 21st floor and the key card has been de-activated - trek back to the lobby, only to be told by the receptionist, in a rude and off-hand manner that I must have had the key card next to my cell phone! All my own fault apparently. Well, no, I didn't have a cell phone with me.

I asked the concierge for a 4.00pm checkout, he checked this with David, Front Desk Manager, only to be told this was not possible. When I said that I was unhappy about this, he referred me to David. When I went to speak to David, he did not look up from what he was doing, said in a very off-hand manner, that he had already agreed to my 4.00pm checkout.

On to the linen issue...I thought at first that I was imagining things - the towels, pillows and sheets smelled sour, after puting up with this for 4 days, I mentioned this to the Head of Housekeeping, who agreed that they were experiencing a problem with the laundry. I could not believe that the hotel knew about it, but continued to use this sour smelling linen.

The shower cubicle in the very nice bathroom had what appeared to be mould growing around the corner...this was also reported to Head of HouseKeeping, but unfortunately nothing was done about this, while I was there.

All in all, I had the kind of experience in the Westin this time, that means that it is unlikely that I would return there...bad attitudes + smelly linen + unclean room = unhappy guests. I raised all of the above with Leslie Thompson, who seems to respond to Trip Advisor reviews of the hotel. Ms Thompson's response was that she was sorry for the above and gave me 4000 Starwood Guest Points! I am sorry, but that really doesn't do it for me! I sent an email to Colleen Senter, General Manager, some weeks ago, but as yet, no response. I do not feel that I got good value for the $1800 dollar cost of the stay at the Westin.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I booked a room here after staying at the company paid Hyatt Jersey City as I was paying for this on my own. I was able to get it for $100 a night less. Location next to the PATH is great for going to Manhattan. My only complaint was that the Wi-Fi seemed a little slow but wasn't too bad. My view was of the apartment building next door. All in all, I liked the hotel and the bed was extremely comfortable. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I traveled to NYC with my two young daughters and my mother and was so glad we chose to stay here as opposed to staying in NYC. We flew into EWR and took a $49 cab ride so within 10 minutes we were at our hotel. Hotel was beautiful! We stayed in a corner suite on the 21 floor and the view was absolutely amazing. Debbie at the front desk was so kind and helpful too, my girls just loved her. The hotel is really nice and a breath of fresh air as opposed to staying in NYC, which we went to every day. We took a $20 cab ride to Liberty park in the morning and boarded the ferry to Lady Liberty. That was a bonus too. The ferries from NYC were completely packed while ours had maybe 20 people on it. Everyone we encountered was very kind and helpful. It was so nice to go to NYC (20-30 minutes on PATH and then Subway depending where you are going) and then come back to Jersey City and feel like we could walk at a normal pace and breath again! ;-) We used the pool every day and my girls loved it. Larger than many hotel pools and a nice hottub too. The only negative I found was the cost for internet, which we didn't really need so didn't purchase it, and the cost so use a microwave. You get one free reheat and then it is $5 after that. Or you can rent one for $30 a day. SILLY!!! We just wanted some easy mac for the girls. There is a nice Mall right behind the hotel we went to the first day. Yummy places to eat there and some normal mall shops. I think one of favorite things in Jersey City was eating the ice cream from the ice cream man just down the street from the hotel. Cheap, and delicious! I think it was like $8 for all four of us each night and it was really good for an evening snack.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room at the corner of the hotel as high up as you can get!! ;-)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Good:
- PATH train gives easy access to Mid-town and WTC
- Clean, comfortable, and great quality sleep
- Good deal if you can get it below $200 / night

The Bad:
- WIFI costs $9.99 per day. Hard to believe any decent hotel would do this in 2013. -1 star
- Upgrade to Deluxe King was not worth it. Even from Deluxe room, the view is almost completely obstructed by other buildings

Room Tip: The upgrade to Deluxe King from Standard Room is not worth it. The view from the Deluxe Rooms acros...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Parsberg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

First I one to say that the room was very nice. It looked like the pics on the internet. We really appreciated the Starbucks coffee in the room.
However, we were very surprised to find an empty mini-bar. We thought they forgot to restock it. We called the front desk and they explained that if you want something for your mini-bar that you can buy it but there is additional 22% for service and 7% for taxes. Also, if you have anything put in there you bought it. This is no longer a mini-bar but room service. I see they advertise mini-frig and not bar anymore. The mini-frig was not cold so don't plan to bring your own items in hopes of keeping cool.
Second, we used the pool. It was cold to the point that our granddaughter said "this is the coldest pool I have ever been in my life." While I have been in colder it was miserable to the point of not wanting to use it.
We then used the hot tub. It was warm the way the pool should have been. There was a temperature control that read 92. It was not hot, at all, so we let the kids play in it for 2 hours.
As well, there was one bathrobe in the room. Who wears it to the pool? There were no slippers. Since we have come to expect them at nicer hotels we did not pack any.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Leslie T, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Michelle B.,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent stay. Please allow me to address some of your concerns.

During the summer months the pool area grows very warm so the pool temperature is adjusted to a cooler level so as not be uncomfortably warm for guests. With the arrival of cooler weather we have recently adjusted the temperature to a warmer level. I am sorry to hear that you and your children were uncomfortable. The change may not have occurred in time for your recent visit.

In reference to the robes and slippers, each guest room is supplied with a standard robe but we do offer additional robes, as well as slippers, at guests' requests.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a more enjoyable stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at leslie.thompson@westin.com with any further feedback or inquiries.

Leslie Thompson
Pgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip. The showers are the best features of the rooms by far. the meals we were provided were wonderful-lots of healthy options and all the food was fresh. I didn't try to access the wi-if, I did use the computers in the business center and was pleased I could easily print my boarding pass and for free. I'm not sure I would stay here not on business as it is probably too expensive, but I would recommend it to companies hosting meetings! No complaints.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to The Westin Jersey City, Newport? Share your experiences!