“Great way to see New York” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Jersey City
Toronto, Canada
“Great way to see New York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Jersey City Westin for the July 1st weekend. The hotel way new, fresh and clean. I had no worries about the rooms or beds. It is steps from PATH which means you are in Manhattan in 30 minutes. You can't beat the value. Oh, and the brownie in the hotel restaurant or through room service is the BEST brownie I have ever had.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Bexley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights with two young children so they could see some of the New York sights.

The location is great - easy to drive to, and less than five minutes' walk to the nearest PATH station (Newport) and the Hudson River waterfront for fantastic views of Manhattan. There is also a light rail system nearby for journeys to Hoboken, and a fairly large shopping mall next door.

Self parking in the car park behind the hotel costs $22 a night.

We paid extra for a room on a higher floor. 22 storeys up gave us great views of Jersey City - and we could just about see some of midtown Manhattan through a gap in other buildings - but I'm not sure it was worth paying more for.

That said, the room itself was great. Clean and relatively spacious, the beds were comfortable as well.

The pool was of a good size, and my sons enjoyed their swim.

One niggle - in this day and age why do hotels like this still charge for Wifi in rooms? It's $9.99 for a day - alternatively just do what most the guests seem to do and access the free Wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Location of this hotel is perfect for seeing New York and not having to pay Manhattan prices.
It is located on the Jersey side but very accessible to the train that runs to New York. The hotel is new and very nice rooms at reasonable prices. I would highly recommend staying here if you want to see New York and don't want to pay the high hotel prices in Manhattan. It is also much quieter.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side of the hotel offer a nice view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Customer service was off the charts at this hotel. From my first time through the door until I left for the airport , there was never a time that I didn't see a smile on any staff members face. Staff also went out of their way to shake hands and remembered my name in both the restaurant and lounge areas. That's a very comfortable feeling.
Ashley and the rest if the bar staff were outstanding , even when there seemed to be a bit if customer overload. They handled without a glitch. The Westin should be proud of their entire wait and bar staff. One of the finest if not thee finest in all my many travels.
A job well done Westin Jersey City. Bravo !

• Stayed June 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding and room block at this property. Convenient for our guests to go to NYC, great banquet staff, amazing views, and beautiful ballrooms.

Only difficult part is that the wedding room block is still a bit more than others given the location.

• Stayed May 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Good value outside NYC. Views are better at the W Hoboken but for the price the westin is fine. Got complimentary upgrade to a higher floor room. Clean and very spacious rooms for the NYC area. Bathroom was also spacious. Did not eat here but heard the bar is nice.

• Stayed July 2012
Longwood, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I, along with our 5 and 21 month old sons, stayed at the Westin Jersey City in for a weekend in mid-June. A fire alarm went off at 6:15 am on Sunday morning, and guests of several floors (including mine, the 14th) had to evacuate their rooms. So my husband and I proceeded to walk down 12 flights of stairs carrying our sons, who had been peacefully sleeping until that time (not always the case with the 5 month old!). We then sat outside on the curb with the babies for the next hour, watching the fire trucks come and the firemen enter and exit the hotel. We realized at some point that the lobby was apparently not closed, but by that time all of the seats in the lounge were taken. Not once did we see a hotel representative come outside to speak with the guests to apologize, give an update on the situation, offer water, a breakfast croissant, or ANY COURTESY WHATSOEVER. My husband at one point did go inside and get 2 clean diapers for the boys from the concierge (we did appreciate that they were available), and we changed them out of their dirty overnight diapers using bar napkins on the sidewalk outside of the hotel.

We were given the OK by the firemen to go inside after about an hour, and they informed us as we were in line to go up the elevators that the alarm was cause by an air conditioning unit on the 12th floor which had burned out (a hotel maintenance issue). Once again, no explanation or apology from the hotel staff. I expected a credit on our bill for the inconvenience, but did not receive a copy of the bill under the door the night before checkout to verify whether that would be the case, and when I checked out Monday morning and inquired about a credit with the hotel representative assisting me, she said no credits were being offered. I did not have time to ask to speak with the manager at that point, so I told her I would reach out to hotel management to express my unhappiness with the situation upon my return home.

I e-mailed the hotel outlining this experience the next day after returning home, and requested a response. I received none. I called the hotel a week later and spoke to the assistant to the general manager of the hotel. She denied receiving my e-mail (although she pulled up one I sent to the same e-mail address with an inquiry prior to the trip). She acknowledged that the situation was poorly handled, and stated that there is a plan to retrain staff to respond to situations like this one, but that no compensation was being given to the guests for their inconvenience.

I travel fairly often both personally and for work, and have stayed at Westin hotels a number of times with good experiences. I am extremely disappointed in this case - I did not expect such a cavalier response from a Westin hotel to a SIGNIFICANT inconvenience to their guests. We will certainly not be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Leslie T, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Melissa R.,

Thank you for your feedback. The safety of our guests is of the utmost importance to us. We do apologize for the delay in communicating to guests when to return to their room until we were confident it was safe to do so. We appreciate your feedback and will take it into account while improving our procedures. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem your faith in our service. Please feel free to contact me with any further comments at leslie.thompson@westin.com.

Leslie Thompson

Been to The Westin Jersey City, Newport? Share your experiences!