“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #3 of 11 hotels in Jersey City
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Good value outside NYC. Views are better at the W Hoboken but for the price the westin is fine. Got complimentary upgrade to a higher floor room. Clean and very spacious rooms for the NYC area. Bathroom was also spacious. Did not eat here but heard the bar is nice.

• Stayed July 2012

876 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Longwood, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I, along with our 5 and 21 month old sons, stayed at the Westin Jersey City in for a weekend in mid-June. A fire alarm went off at 6:15 am on Sunday morning, and guests of several floors (including mine, the 14th) had to evacuate their rooms. So my husband and I proceeded to walk down 12 flights of stairs carrying our sons, who had been peacefully sleeping until that time (not always the case with the 5 month old!). We then sat outside on the curb with the babies for the next hour, watching the fire trucks come and the firemen enter and exit the hotel. We realized at some point that the lobby was apparently not closed, but by that time all of the seats in the lounge were taken. Not once did we see a hotel representative come outside to speak with the guests to apologize, give an update on the situation, offer water, a breakfast croissant, or ANY COURTESY WHATSOEVER. My husband at one point did go inside and get 2 clean diapers for the boys from the concierge (we did appreciate that they were available), and we changed them out of their dirty overnight diapers using bar napkins on the sidewalk outside of the hotel.

We were given the OK by the firemen to go inside after about an hour, and they informed us as we were in line to go up the elevators that the alarm was cause by an air conditioning unit on the 12th floor which had burned out (a hotel maintenance issue). Once again, no explanation or apology from the hotel staff. I expected a credit on our bill for the inconvenience, but did not receive a copy of the bill under the door the night before checkout to verify whether that would be the case, and when I checked out Monday morning and inquired about a credit with the hotel representative assisting me, she said no credits were being offered. I did not have time to ask to speak with the manager at that point, so I told her I would reach out to hotel management to express my unhappiness with the situation upon my return home.

I e-mailed the hotel outlining this experience the next day after returning home, and requested a response. I received none. I called the hotel a week later and spoke to the assistant to the general manager of the hotel. She denied receiving my e-mail (although she pulled up one I sent to the same e-mail address with an inquiry prior to the trip). She acknowledged that the situation was poorly handled, and stated that there is a plan to retrain staff to respond to situations like this one, but that no compensation was being given to the guests for their inconvenience.

I travel fairly often both personally and for work, and have stayed at Westin hotels a number of times with good experiences. I am extremely disappointed in this case - I did not expect such a cavalier response from a Westin hotel to a SIGNIFICANT inconvenience to their guests. We will certainly not be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Leslie T, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Melissa R.,

Thank you for your feedback. The safety of our guests is of the utmost importance to us. We do apologize for the delay in communicating to guests when to return to their room until we were confident it was safe to do so. We appreciate your feedback and will take it into account while improving our procedures. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem your faith in our service. Please feel free to contact me with any further comments at leslie.thompson@westin.com.

Ponce, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Easy Acces to the hotel, Available Transportation, Room are big enough,Bathroom with all amenities. Excellent Conference rooms and the snacks were delicious.
Complimentary w-ifi in most cases The staff is very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The Westin is the first choice when visiting the NY/NJ Metro area. The staff, service, food, and lodging are top notch in the area. I recommend the premium room with the NY City skyline view and soaking tub!! Excellent location for access to NY or NJ.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have excellent NY City views and soaking tub with separate shower and double sinks.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just back from a recent business visit to New Jersey, stayed in the Westin NJ for 4 nights. I found it a really nice hotel perfect for our groups needs The manageress Karen we dealt with could nt have been more helpfull. The rooms were beautifully furnished, big with a very comfortable kingsize bed. We were lucky to have the rooms that look out over the Hudson and New York City and the views from the 16th floor were just amazing esp at night when the new Freedom Tower is all lit up. The location of this hotel is perfect for anyone who wants the peace and quiet of a beautiful neighbourhood but then is only a short train or cab ride to the heart of the big apple. The breakfast was very tasty and plentiful and the serving staff were attentive and very plesant. Anothe plus for this hotel is its location to the new marina and the large shopping mall next door complete with Macys etc etc.
If I was returning to NJ I would definately stay in this hotel but with the heart of NYC beating so close I would have to go the extra and stay in Manhattan. But it is an excellent hotel and gets top marks from me.

Room Tip: look for a room on a high floor that over looks the Hudson with the NYC as a back drop well worth th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Leslie T, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear ciaran m,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted to hear that you and your group enjoyed your stay and the service we provided. I will be sure to forward your comments to our Management Team so that they may acknowledge the staff on a job well done.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon for another enjoyable stay.

Abuja, Nigeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I don't like the fact that we were charged occupancy /tourism at the rate of $2.41, state tax at the rate of $16.88, city/local tax at the rate of $14.47 and additional $2.00 that we know nothing about . All these taxes were charged on daily basis. They should have told us there are hidden charges. Otherwise, the room was neat and comfortable. Debbie was very nice and helpful, but the concierge was rude.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Leslie T, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our property. Please allow me to address your concerns. I am sorry if you feel you were charged incorrectly for your stay. In addition to the room rate, by state law, we are required to collect a total of 14.0 Percent for applicable taxes as follows:

Occupancy:
6.0 Percent Per Room Per Night

Municipal State:
1.0 Percent Per Room Per Night

Nj Sales Tax:
7.0 Percent Per Room Per Night

These charges are collected for State tax purposes and are not retained or utilized by the hotel. I hope this information is helpful in explaining why you were charged as you were.

I would also like to apologize if you felt you were not treated well by someone on our staff. Please be assured that I have forwarded your comments to our Management team to review in order to ensure better service in future. I have also forwarded your comments regarding our Front Desk agent to her Managers so that she may receive the recognition she deserves for a job well-done. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope we have the opportunity welcome you back soon for a more enjoyable stay.

Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is my 2nd trip to this hotel for business and will not stay anywhere else. I made a mistake and booked at another location for a previous trip where I had some time to myself (you can read in one of my other reviews) and the Westin turned what started as a horrible trip into a fantastic one.

Location - It's situated very close to the PATH making it easy to get to and from both the Train and Airport. It's close enough that walking to it with my luggage was not a big deal. There are also a lot of restaurants, bars and a shopping mall within walking distance making it a very good location to do everything without having to go far. As a bonus, it's right across from the NYC skyline making for some amazing sunsets.

The Hotel - Check In was quick, pleasant, informative and they generally have enough people on staff to keep there from being a wait. They have a bar in the main lobby, little store by the elevators in case you forgot anything or wanted something small.

The rooms are terrific! Updated, stylish, nice bathroom, comfortable bed, new LED TV's, and clean (important). The soaps & shampoos are all great (I generally use my own when I travel because I don't care for most at the hotels) and the fact that I'm bothering to even mention it says something. They also offer a service where you can get workout clothes/shoes on loan so you can workout without having to bring your own stuff, which if you travel like me and only bring a carry, it's a blessing to not bother with extra shoes, and extra sets of workout clothes for each day.

I could go on and on about this hotel because I was really impressed with the staff, the hotel itself, amenities and location but I'll let you judge for yourself. As I mentioned in the title, when I have to go to Jersey City for business, this is the only hotel I stay at.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room overlooking the Hudson
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Jersey City, Newport? Share your experiences!