“We were swindled” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Abuja, Nigeria
“We were swindled”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I don't like the fact that we were charged occupancy /tourism at the rate of $2.41, state tax at the rate of $16.88, city/local tax at the rate of $14.47 and additional $2.00 that we know nothing about . All these taxes were charged on daily basis. They should have told us there are hidden charges. Otherwise, the room was neat and comfortable. Debbie was very nice and helpful, but the concierge was rude.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Leslie T, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our property. Please allow me to address your concerns. I am sorry if you feel you were charged incorrectly for your stay. In addition to the room rate, by state law, we are required to collect a total of 14.0 Percent for applicable taxes as follows:

Occupancy:
6.0 Percent Per Room Per Night

Municipal State:
1.0 Percent Per Room Per Night

Nj Sales Tax:
7.0 Percent Per Room Per Night

These charges are collected for State tax purposes and are not retained or utilized by the hotel. I hope this information is helpful in explaining why you were charged as you were.

I would also like to apologize if you felt you were not treated well by someone on our staff. Please be assured that I have forwarded your comments to our Management team to review in order to ensure better service in future. I have also forwarded your comments regarding our Front Desk agent to her Managers so that she may receive the recognition she deserves for a job well-done. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope we have the opportunity welcome you back soon for a more enjoyable stay.

Leslie Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is my 2nd trip to this hotel for business and will not stay anywhere else. I made a mistake and booked at another location for a previous trip where I had some time to myself (you can read in one of my other reviews) and the Westin turned what started as a horrible trip into a fantastic one.

Location - It's situated very close to the PATH making it easy to get to and from both the Train and Airport. It's close enough that walking to it with my luggage was not a big deal. There are also a lot of restaurants, bars and a shopping mall within walking distance making it a very good location to do everything without having to go far. As a bonus, it's right across from the NYC skyline making for some amazing sunsets.

The Hotel - Check In was quick, pleasant, informative and they generally have enough people on staff to keep there from being a wait. They have a bar in the main lobby, little store by the elevators in case you forgot anything or wanted something small.

The rooms are terrific! Updated, stylish, nice bathroom, comfortable bed, new LED TV's, and clean (important). The soaps & shampoos are all great (I generally use my own when I travel because I don't care for most at the hotels) and the fact that I'm bothering to even mention it says something. They also offer a service where you can get workout clothes/shoes on loan so you can workout without having to bring your own stuff, which if you travel like me and only bring a carry, it's a blessing to not bother with extra shoes, and extra sets of workout clothes for each day.

I could go on and on about this hotel because I was really impressed with the staff, the hotel itself, amenities and location but I'll let you judge for yourself. As I mentioned in the title, when I have to go to Jersey City for business, this is the only hotel I stay at.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room overlooking the Hudson
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our family of four was driving through the NYC area on a trip to Maine and wanted to stop in Hoboken for a visit to Carlo's Bakery. We got a great deal on this hotel through a 4-star for the price of a 2-star hotel site, and we were THRILLED with what we got for the money. The hotel and rooms were beautiful, comfortable, and very clean. The kids loved the indoor pool which was much appreciated after an eleven hour drive. I used the gym the next morning - it had a great variety of top-notch equipment. The trip to Carlo's early the next morning was effortless - a few minutes' walk to the PATH train and our stop was the first one - there and back in no time. From our room we had a magnificent view of One WTC and a beautiful city skyline. I loved the beach area to the rear of the adjacent shopping mall - really made us feel like we were on vacation to sit with drinks in comfy chairs and take in the skyline. The hotel staff was okay - not super warm and friendly or anything, and there was not a drop of free coffee to be found in the lobby the next morning, but our room coffee maker had Starbucks coffee so I guess that was intended as a substitute. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel without reservation. Next time we return to NYC, I'll try to get a room here again.

Room Tip: As for a room with a view of One WTC.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel is very modern and the location superb , the staff are professional and extremely courteous and make you feel at home from the very start. The concierge desk is especially helpful with great tips on travel both around New Jersey and into NYC via the PATH. I have dined in Fire and Oak most evenings and the food is spectacular , especially the Rib Eye Steak.

Room Tip: Best to request a high floor as there is ambient noise from the street and a/c units on the main flo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I took a short vacation to NYC and wanted a GREAT hotel but didn't want to pay a LARGE amount. We got a GREAT deal on Travelocity and was hoping for the best. We were VERY IMPRESSED!!! The bed was GREAT, the staff was GREAT, and the distance to the PATH train was GREAT!!! I loved that we were ONLY a 3 min walk to the train, and the TRAIN was only a 8 min ride into the city. It was AWESOME. The other GREAT thing was the Mall was RIGHT NEXT DOOR!!! We went shopping and to the movies and it was just a few steps from our hotel.

BONUS: We opted to upgrade our ROOM to the Preferred Level (FLOOR 23) to get the view and it was AWESOME!!! I was glad we did... The views were great and the complimentary items you get while there are GREAT!!!!! I also LOVED they gave Starbucks coffee for the in-room coffee... WE just LOVED this room... We would return FOR SURE!!!

Room Tip: Try to get the higher floors for the view... they are great!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Leslie T, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Jersey City, Newport, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear lovelifeandtravel,

We appreciate the wonderful feedback you have provided about your recent stay. We are always delighted to hear that our guest enjoy themselves during their travels.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Leslie Thompson
Turangi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

After our original NY accommodation cancelled 48 hours before catching our flight we were in desperate need of a hotel and with little left in the budget, needed something cheap. A quick search brought up the Westin. Being only our second visit to NY we knew nothing about Newport but the place turned out to be a gem. The hotel is way better than average, the staff are friendly and the bar staff treat you like old friends. Ok, it might be a bit of a hike to Manhattan but the PATH station is just over the road and the metro card works on both PATH and subway. The trip into the city is quick and runs 24hrs to either Wall Street or 33rd with stops in between. A ferry service is also available if you don't mind a 20 minute walk or, if you're feeling flush, a helicopter transfer. A two minute walk leads to breathtaking views of the city including one world trade and the Empire State. There's also plenty of restaurants, cafes and markets, all in a safe location.

The only down sides were the incredibly noisy bar and club at street level on the south side and the noisy air con. If you are a light sleeper ask for a room away from that south side. Don't let that dissuade you; this place is a bargain compared to Manhattan and a few classes better than anything I could find in the city at the same price. Would I recommend it? Absolutely.

• Stayed June 2013
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I satyed here 8 days over a two week period and was very pleased. The hotel is new, and even the basic room is a nice size. The furnishings and decor are typical and attractive Westin, in muted, pleasant tones. The shower is actually a tub with a curtain rather than a true shower, but it was fine. The front desk staff were very professional, helpful, and courteous. We ate once in the restaurant downstairs, and it was very good. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance thatnare worth the trip (Cuban, Italian, et .) There is a huge mall right next door for shopping and something to do in the evenings. The Hyatt down the street was actually closer to where Imwas working, but based on the reviews, the Westin appeared the better choice, and I was not disappointed. I would definitely stay here again for a trip to Jersey City.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Jersey City, Newport? Share your experiences!