“Excellent and Attentive Service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Jersey City
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Excellent and Attentive Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel for a business meeting and had a very good experience I wanted to share.

The hotel is probably located around an hour drive from JFK (depending on the hour - peak time could take 1.5 hours), but not too far away from Manhattan (although if you want to travel to spend time in Manhattan I would recommend staying in a hotel closer to that part since it does take a few minutes in traffic).

Upon arrival hotel staff was really helpful and speedy with the registration. Room was very nicely kept, clean, smelled fresh, and furniture was updated. Bed was very comfortable - as per Westin's standard. Noise filtering is decent --although you can clearly hear doors locks opening and closing but you cannot hear guests in the adjoining rooms. Internet connection worked perfectly - which is important for a business traveler.

The hotel restaurant is very nice --you will find that there are not many quality restaurants in the surrounding area but this restaurant has enough variety to have dinner there a few days in a row.

There is also a nearby shopping center with a food court and several popular stores, walking distance just behind the hotel. However, be advise you must be careful with your valuables, since a colleague from work got his wallet stolen while he was distracted on the phone at the Macy's store. The shopping center also has a PATH train station that connects to Newark,and other NYC locations.

As an additional comment, the hotel's service is consistent both at the time you're there as well if you have to call back with any claim. Upon reviewing my hotel folio once again I noticed that I had a charge I didn't make and called the hotel, who transferred me to Neil in accounting. I would like to commend his work: he picked up the phone from my very first call, located the folio and charge right away and asked if he could return my call shorly so he could look into the receipt. Within an hour he called back and adjusted my bill. I must say this surpassed my expectations since I've stayed in other hotels where a similar situation has happened and I've had to leave several messages to the accounting department and wait several weeks to get expense fixed. My special thanks to Neil for being so attentive and working with my situation promptly.

In summary, I would gladly return to this hotel and would recommend to anyone staying in this area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
San Clemente, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel was very much what I expect from Westin--pretty lobby, comfortable rooms, good bedding, very clean. I somehow ended up on the top floor (Starwood preferred guests) and had a decent view (not of Manhattan though, bummer). There were no major issues and I appreciated the luxe bed, ample working space, and good fitness center. Great business hotel.

I didn't get much opportunity to wander because I was attending a seminar that took place in the Westin, but when I ventured out for dinner in the neighborhood, there weren't good options close by. My friend who lives in "J-City" claims it's a "weird" part of town. However, it's very convenient to Manhattan on the PATH. The train was closed for the weekend, only due to Sandy I understand. It is also a quick cab ride through the Holland tunnel, however, fares are astronomical for such a short ride so be advised. (And the PATH really is simple.)

The staff and service was ok, not noteworthy. The front desk almost steered me to the closed PATH train and gave very vague directions. Luckily a manager happened to walk by and overhear the conversation. I was frustrated by the empty mini bar. Before I headed out to dinner I was hoping for a quick snack after a long flight. I had to wait 20 minutes for room service to walk a granola bar up to my room - NOT appreciated.

Overall, it's a good property, excellent room, and should live up to your expectations but won't astound you with its luxury--which again, is exactly what I expect from Westin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is a new hotel in J-City, which really has absolutely nothing going on in the city itself, but was here on business, and NYC is only a PATH train away (station's across the street).

The hotel's virtually brand new. It looks it, feels it and was a great stay overall. The staff were courteous as expected, and the facilities left nothing to be desired.

The room looked great, bed was comfortable and the feel was modern. Clean and overall comfortable. Felt like a new hotel, which it was.

Big mall behind the building as well as a grocery store, and though you're in J-City, if you didn't want to stay in the bustle of Manhattan, definitely would consider this place. It's really close enough, and in a safe part of town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Upton, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Hotel was VERY nice. All the amenities were there. Our service was prompt and friendly. Really, our only disappointment was the view and that was almost entirely our own fault. There is a premium fee for being on the uppermost floors and I ASSUMED it was because the view of the NYC skyline would be great. Not great. We had to bend over and lean our faces almost touching the window to see the NYC skyline, (although, the glimpse of the Freedom Tower is MIGHTY impressive.) Our room was spacious, the appointments were very tasteful. We didn't have decaf coffee for our in room cafe service, oh boo..hoo. but they brought it to us immediately, as well as an extra robe. The car valet service was quite prompt. Our room was directly across from the ice machine and I thought it would be a noise problem. not at all, Didn't hear a thing. but the BEST thing was the bed. OMG! THE most comfortasble bed I've EVER slept in in a hotel. Slept like a rock. It was SO comfy. this hotle is also very close to a great shopping area. it seemed bery busy and upscale. Seemingly nice neighborhood. Cannot comment on any other features, we were elsewhere for meals , didn';t visit the restaurant or bar , not even the convenient little snack kiosk with a quick breakfast selection. But the services we DID use were excellent. If you want a good night's sleep, this is great. If you want a guaranteed view, look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent just one night here prior to a cruise December 2012. We had traveled all day thru a terrible snowstorm in Pennsylvania, and were stressed and ready to rest. Friendly welcome and handy valet parking and we were on our way to our rooms. We were disappointed that even though we called that afternoon to make sure one room had 2 beds,( for us and 2 kids) when we arrived they only had king bed rooms left. In-laws in room down the hall, and a very nice rollaway was brought in to our room for one of the boys...the rest of us slept in the king bed and did get a good night of rest regardless. This was a Hotwire reservation so I knew we would have to take what we could get. Prior to retiring for the night we had planned to take the PATH train over to NYC and have dinner and view the 911 Memorial. We had obtained online free tickets months before . Being 5 hours past schedule due to the bad storm, made this impossible however:( So we ordered yummy Italian food in to the hotel and then explored the hotel, used the gorgeous pool and hot tub and the boys even worked out in the fitness center. Everything very spacious and clean. There was a large loud Indian wedding reception going on in one of the conference rooms on our floor, but the noise never bothered us in our rooms. Husband boys and I walked across the street to the end of a little walkway that overlooked New York Harbor, and vieewed the spectacular skyline. It was freezing cold so we didn't linger, but this is a very nice area and we commented it would be a wonderful base for exploring NYC in a warmer season.
We wish we could have arrived earlier to enjoy the city, but had a very nice night and woke up feeling relaxed and ready to cruise! Hoboken is literally 1.5 miles from this hotel so we went the next morning to try to go to Cake Boss...made the mistake of eating breakfast at Johnny Rockets first, and by the time we got to Carlos Bakery, the line was 60 deep waiting outside:( We decided not to wait, and heading to the Bayonne cruise port , which was only 10-15 min from the hotel.

Room Tip: If you book with Hotwire be prepared to take what you get...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gatineau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed at the Westin for 2 nights and it was great. The staff was nice, no complaint. Great restaurant, breakfast was simple but good. Great room, clean, OK view, super comfy king size bed, plenty of space and beautiful bathroom.

Wi-Fi is available in the lobby which is pretty cool. If you want it in your room you have to pay an extra though.

Path trains are AWESOME. It's a five minute walk to the station and you're in downtown NYC in less than 15 min. (And its only 2$!)

Have a great and safe trip! Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff rooms always clean and tidy. Close proximity to path train to NYC do easy to get in. I have stayed here 30 plus times and never have had anything to complain about. Decent food at the steakhouse as well.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to The Westin Jersey City, Newport? Share your experiences!