“You can bring the booze” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Jackson, New Jersey
“You can bring the booze”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We only go here on special occations. The seafood is excellent but expensive. Call before you go, they are really busy from 5-7 but you can make reservations. The staff is super nice and there is a lot to choose from. Plus you can bring your own wine and beer. Call also to make sure they are open. They seem to have different days off winter versus summer.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

87% Recommend
New Jersey
“Good Seafood in Jackson! Who knew?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Usually to find great seafood in Ocean County you head to one of the beaches. Point Pleasant, Long Beach Island, etc. are all known to have many great places to get Seafood. Jackson is not a tourist town nor is it right along the coast so most places to eat around here are Diners or Italian Restaurants. After reading the great reviews of the Lighthouse Restaurant here on Trip Advisor we took a trip over for dinner. It is a very small place, the phrase "don't blink you might miss it" comes to mind. The dining area is very small, but it is clean (cloth napkins and table cloths), well lit, and has a neat nautical decor. Our hostess who also acted as our waitress was very pleasant and warm. We got there for the Early Bird special and had Crab Encrusted Tilapia and Fried Crab Cakes. We both had Lobster Bisque as well. All the food was great. The portions were not big, but at least in my opinion it was enough to have me leaving full. The Lobster Bisque was great, better then most I have had elsewhere, and the Crab Cakes were delicious. My girlfriend was very happy with the Tilapia. Soup and Dessert come with the Early Bird Dinner and our final check was around $36. Not bad.

I recommend making a reservation because the dining room is so small. Apparently they have an outdoor "beach" that they created for warm weather outside dinning.

Highly recommended and will return!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
new jersey
“Warm and Cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A group of 6 went there for a birthday dinner. the waitress was extremely personable and catered to our every need. The owner comes by to check and brings more water or whatever is needed. The restaurant is small but noise isn't a problem like I have had in bigger places. The food is great if you like seafood. They allowed us to bring a cake and they cut it up and served it. No hassles whatsoever. Wii definitely return

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Freehold, New Jersey
“Great fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Several couples went. I had "sweet potato salmon" - delicious; 4 others had the swordfish specialty. One other had the grouper. We all were very pleased. April, our waitress, was very nice and did a great job. All in all, a great evening.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
NJ
“Need to pick up the pace in the dining room...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

First timers stopped in with our 10 year old son (adventurous pallate) on a Sunday in August for dinner. We arrived at the tiny, empty restaurant and were asked if we had reservations. We did not. There were a 2 top and 4 top occupied, thats it. The 4 top were obviously regulars as the solo waitress and hostess spent an inordiate time chatting at their table. Every time the door opened, the hostess ran over yelling across the room "good evening, do you have a reservation"..?? There was outdoor seating and guests were being "pushed" outside (some verbally not satisfied with this solution) due to what appeared to be a staffing issue inside the restaurant. After another couple came and had their BYO opened and served- we were bought bread. Tasty, but it took a long time. Our son ate most of it as we had been there 30 minutes and were JUST THEN served soda and bread. After 15 more minutes, we inquired when our salads would be out and was told "they are making fresh salad now, it should be soon". So, 45 minutes after we arrived, the salads came and mine was in no way "fresh made" unless they usually make their salad with wilted, slimy field greens and one grape tomato. If my son was not so hungry, we would have left at that point. I ordered the fried fishermans platter -with extra tarter sauce-with a substitute of the oysters- chefs choice as to the substitution. My son ordered fried shrimp (from the adult menu, not kids menu) and my husband ordered a fish dish which escapes me at this point. His was very good but small portions and my sons was also small in size, to the point that I questioned if this was the adult portion or from the kids menu. I was told that it was the adult portion. 8 shrimp and a very small portion of fries. My meal came out with an acceptable amount of fish (the sub was clams- as is the norm every place I know of)- and cocktail sause. I asked for extra tartar sauce and was told "we make it in-house and we just ran out". RAN OUT or house made TS in a seafood establishement? Really?? Then I asked to have the chef send me out some mayo and relish and I would "house make" my own. 10 minutes later the waitress brought me out some "fresh made"...and only 1 small silver cup though I had originally asked for EXTRA 30 minutes before. Also worth noting that my veggie side was a great combo of root veggies- excellently prepared but way too small a portion as was my side of rice. Never offered a refill of our sodas and the most people seated during our 1hr 50min stay was 9. I counted, I had lots of time to count. I even had time to "check in" on Facebook between my bread and salad course when I went outside for a cigarette. Returned to find no food YET)

Needless to say, we will not go back. Last weekend we had the opportunity to go out for dinner and enjoy a long, child-free dinner out. We opted to NOT go here again, even though we were offered a coupon to return when we left the last time. Service terrible (could have been an off night), sub-par freshness on salads, running out of ANYTHING housemade is inexcusable- especially tartar sause in a fish restaurant and small portions (typical with seafood but no excuse for scrawny sides-12 fries ? {again- I counted!} will prompt us to eat elsewhere when we are in the area. And thats a shame because the fish was good and the location works well for us.

• Visited August 2012